Update to my meeting with an elder

by Goldminer 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• karen96
    karen96

This must be a difficult time for you now, and you are in our thoughts and prayers. Still, even if your point cannot be made to people with blinders on, I suggest you still run from this religion, if you can.

Karen

• damselfly
    damselfly

Thanks for the update. Sorry it didn't go in a more favorable way with the elder but I'm amazed he agreed to meet with you in the first place. Hopefully he does do some research.

Dams

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Avishai~

Were you referring to Alleymom's K.I.S.S. thread? If so, here's the link:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/55372/1.ashx

~Merry

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

WT September 15, 1998, "Waiting in 'Eager Expectation': ". . . a prophecy providentially caused sincere 19th-century Bible students to be in expectation. By linking the "seven times" of Daniel 4:25 with "the times of the Gentiles," they anticipated that Christ would receive Kingdom power in 1914."

What They Actually Said Back Then

The date of the close of that 'battle' is definitely marked in Scripture as October, 1914. It is already in progress, its beginning dating from October, 1874.
    Zion's Watch Tower, 15 January 1892, page 1355

We see no reason for changing the figures--nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble.
    Watchtower 7/15/1894, p.1677

The Scriptures show that the second presence [of the Lord] was due in 1874 . . . . This proof shows that the Lord has been present since 1874.
    The Watch Tower, 1 March 1923, page 67

Surely there is not the slightest room for doubt in the mind of a truly consecrated child of God that the Lord Jesus is present and has been since 1874.
    The Watch Tower, 1 January 1924, page 5

• out of the box
    out of the box

Goldminer,

I hope you don't stay 'down' too long. I don't think that battling the elders is the way to go. They are brainwashed, and that is a dead end. I think that living YOUR LIFE THE WAY YOU WANT TO will be a GREATER WITNESS than trying to 'fight'. RELAX, you can't change the borg, so give up the battle, you'll sleep better.

Encourage your wife to be the BEST SHE CAN BE at HER life and encourage HER to think for herself. It is subtle, but more potent. So, all the reinforcement you give her will be about LIFE... NOT the borg. Like, I think you are a kind person, or you have a good attitude about this or that, you give so generously, you always tell the truth, I admire that. This way you won't lose the "HER" inside. BE REAL and encourage her to be REAL with you, tell her it's for your marriage!

out of the box

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    I feel really down,like I'm wasting my time

NO WAY! You havent wasted your time at all. You have stood up for what you know is right. You just feel down because it is emotionally exhausting, and you are probably drained from it all.

Some things have to be gone through, even if they feel pointless at the time.

Were all rooting for you.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Well guys,we're headed to the cottage this morning.We'll be there for a few days so I can go out fishing and clear my mind.I also need to think smart on this stuff.I forgot to mention I did stump the elder on 1975 even though I have no questions on it;it came up in the conversation.

I said to him if I lied to you then you approached me about it,I deny that I lied to you,then not only do I deny it but I blame someone else,how would you feel about me? He said well I'd know you can't be trusted! I said that is exactly what happened with 1975,they built up expectations,denied it after nothing happened then blamed brothers for taking something that was said and making more of it.He just went in his "refining" defense blah,blah,blah.

Those who tell me I'm wasting my time are absolutely right.

Thanks again for all the help,I'm going to print out that KISS formula for 607 and use it for sure.Have a nice day guys.

Goldminer

• Quotes
    Quotes

A summary of Alleymom's K.I.S.S. analysis is available here:

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/607bce-table.htm

This is just a summary table showing the results when using Watchtower's published history. For the supporting Watchtower quotes, see http://quotes.watchtower.ca/607bce.htm

~Quotes

• carla
    carla

Couldn't you have any materials sent to a friend or neighbor? Most of the sites understand that the mailing address may be different than the credit card address. I even once sent a certified check rather than use a credit card with a papertrail. Now I don't care and just get the mail before he does. carla

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Goldminer, ask your wife if she knew about the Wt teaching regarding divorce, homosexuality, and bestiality. It once was the WT position that a husband could sleep with another man or animal, and the wife couldn't scriptuarily divorce him. I showed that to my wife and she almost blew her top. I haven't seen her that pissed in a while. I think it actually started her thinking. I've forgotten where the actual quote is, it's in a questions from readers, and I'm sure someone here can provide it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit