A letter to a friend - Final one that I sent -

by AK - Jeff 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Some time back I posted a first draft, and then a new draft of a letter to a friend that is still in the borg.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/94229/1.ashx

After another few weeks of thought, and with the growth of my personal thought processes, I elected to change in entirely. Below is the actual letter I finally sent to him this week. I made little comments that I hope will make him think, and I made it clear that we left due to being Christians and not due to leaving the 'truth'. But I decided to make no comment on the specifics that I found wrong in the organization. I was afraid he would toss it before reading if I did. So this is the one I sent;

Friend X ,

Since you came by our home a few weeks back, I have been trying to write this letter in answer to your question as to why we left Jehovah’s witnesses. This is the 6th attempt, and a quick word count shows I have rejected 8438 words. To give a simple answer, I finally followed this Watchtower suggestion;

We need to examine

, not only what we personally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be associated. Are its teachings in full harmony with God’s Word, or are they based on the traditions of men? If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination.

The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life Chap 2 Page 13 1968

I really did this. It took me two years, and I cried buckets of tears in what I found.

I had over the years told thousands of people to look at their religion closely, yet I had always observed the Watchtower taboo, and never looked at mine. When I finally looked deeply and honestly at the core beliefs, as well as ethical and moral issues of which I had questions, the empirical evidence created a struggle between what I saw God’s will to be, as recorded in the Bible, and the religion of the Watchtower. I left due to conscience . Please do not think I would do so on whimsy, for I had invested most of my life in this religion, it is all I have known for nearly 50 years.

There were many things that lead up to a need to make such honest evaluation for me, particularly the lack of love. But this alone was not the proof.

Many witnesses discount anything negative about the organization, while out of the other side of their mouth deriding the churches for similar shortfall. Any failures by the organization is disregarded as ‘imperfection’ or ‘the light getting brighter’, yet such allowance is never made for other churches. Growth is often pointed to as the barometer of God’s blessing too, yet when other churches grow at a rate that even exceeds witness growth it is attributed to the Devil’s tactics. While witnesses pointed to individuals that had been saved by the ‘truth’, religious conversions in other churches were counted as another victory for Satan, though the same effects [breaking drug addiction, alcoholism, making better children and parents, etc.] were being achieved. It seemed to me that ‘two sorts of measure’ were being employed.

In short, I had to ask; If this is the ’truth’, what could possibly assail it? Truth cannot fear investigation. Truth is about integrity. If someone claims to have ’truth’, but insists that you do not check the facts, would you trust him? So I investigated. I found the ’truth’ is not true, and that the organization is not what it seemed. I did what men of integrity have always had to do in such matters - I left to worship God in the way he approves.

I have barrels of ’facts’ to support that statement, but I know that you are not interested. Witnesses have built a wall. I did too. For decades I never let facts get in the way of what I wanted to believe was ’truth’. Believing I had the ‘truth’ was comfortable for me. It was a terrifying thought that I might have been mislead. This, I believe is why most persons, witness or not, refuse to honestly examine the integrity of one’s beliefs to see if God Himself would approve.

Charles Taze Russell taught in the early days that confirmation of ’truth’ would be by examination of the scriptures, not some religious interpretation of matters.

Beware of "organization." It is wholly unnecessary

. The Bible rules will be the only rules you will need. Do not seek to bind others' consciences, and do not permit others to bind yours. Believe and obey so far as you can understand God's Word to-day, and so continue growing in grace and knowledge and love day by day…What shall be our Standard by which we may know the truth and prove it? We answer, The Word of God "is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfect [-ed in knowledge and conduct], thoroughly furnished unto all good works. [2 Timothy 3:16,17]
    Zion’s Watchtower September 15, 1895 Page 216

I have not become a follower of Charles Russell or any other man. But clearly the religious structure is not the same now as it was then. In fact it seems to be in 180 degree phase opposite. Yet this was the foundation of the modern day ‘truth’. If one reads the writings of Russell, it is clear that he and his adherents would be expelled as ‘apostate’ if they returned today. They had the ‘truth’ didn’t they? Or did they? Or we?

I had to ask - How has the Christ changed so much in so few years? Or is it that men have changed thinking? And is that approved by Christ? How do we know for a fact that Jesus selected the Witness organization as asserted? What would Christ have us do should we come into possession of facts that disprove doctrine and ethics of a religion that we associate with? Why does the WTBTS tie us to it’s literature when we seek to answer these matters? Are they afraid of what we might discover from outside sources? I think they have reason. I do not seek to impart to you what I know about this matter. We all have an undeniable right to search the scriptures and let God’s Holy Spirit direct us. I have done that. I have no regrets, for I believe that Christ has lead me to the real ’truth about the Truth’. What I discovered was stupefying for a time. I wish I could turn the hands back sometimes, to the days when I ignorantly believed what I now know was not true. But I cannot. And really I would not, for truth needs to be found and treasured. It cannot be buried again undiscovered.

My crying and pain of spirit in what I have discovered is not over. But I have now allowed Christ to be the foundation of my faith, and that is how it should be. I no longer worship an organization. I no longer fear what men may do. I have given up everything to arrive at real truth. Friends, some family, and forty years of memories with people who will not even speak to me now, have been sacrificed in the wake, but not in vain. For how could gain of this greatness be in vain?

I seek to say nothing that could be construed as an effort to convert you to my way of thinking. I have no religion to sell you. I have found the ’truth’, and it is Christ Jesus. Should puny men desire to ’shun’ me, or punish me in some way for that, what should I do? I hold no power to change any of that, but I must be true to God and Christ.

I hope and pray for your health and [wife's name deleted]. May the Lord bless all that you do in goodness and faith. The ball is in your court, my friend. I have great affection for you both. If you choose to shun us, as if we are sinners of a great measure, then so be it. If not, then call sometime and we could share a coffee and time together. Please know that we are the same as always. No evil lurks here. We read, live and love the Bible daily. We remain, or perhaps we could say more correctly, we have become Christian. For that I have no apology, just joy and hope and peace. Peace to you.

Comments?

• undercover
    undercover

Very good letter...written in a way to explain your actions and that you didn't just make a hasty, ill informed decision. It's also done in a way where even though you raise your issues with the WTS, you don't blame the reader for following them or make them feel inferior. Very well done. Good luck with it.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

That letter was great. I'm impressed!

GGG

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

Beautiful, Jeff. I'm in the midst of a "refining fire" at the moment as well, and wish my family would accept and understand a letter like that from me.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

Wow. Thank you so much for that letter. I have been trying to write one to my family for such a long time. It has finally found its way to paper at least partially. You so very much captured what I have been trying desperately to. May I use parts of your letter in mine?

Dominick

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

CHL -

May I use parts of your letter in mine?

Sure - use the whole thing if u like. Well wishes in your letter.

Jeff

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

Spot on Jeff. Thats very similar to what I am going through with a cousin of mine.

Best Wishes.

• Bryan
    Bryan

A+

Very good!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• vitty
    vitty

That was great, Im going to print it off and save it, incase I need to write a letter like this in the future !

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Fantastic letter. Beautiful ending - "no evil lurks here" - I love that. If that doesnt make your friend think, nothing will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit