bugs in your head...

by morty 13 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

Are you scratching your head just reading the title??....lol....

Head lice is running like a wild grass fire in our neck of the woods and I am scared to death of having to pick through my hair...

In the past, I have never been to worried since the boys always had their hair so short it was not a big threat in our house hold but, with the long hair in style now and one of my sons has grown his, I worry that he may pick it up and I will not be happy......

With school also starting in 2 weeks, we always have the big scare in the schools as well...

So,my question to you all is.....

what have you heard that works well as a preventive method?

I have heard vinegar and tee tree oil works.???

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

You could try homeschooling in order to keep them seperate from those lice infested children at the school...

homeschooling that's the way to go... LMAO

• Xandria
    Xandria

Morty,

As children we had a horrid lice issue due to one family not purchasing the medicated shampoo and combing the nits out. Til this day.. I shiver and thinking about it makes my scalp itch! We had to perform the de-licing process so many times our hair turned a shade of purple. Finally my mom cut all our hair short.. much to our dismay. The school nurse would not take this girls braids out and look! Finally we had enough.. and we undid her braids yelling LOOK! ICK! those things were huge! The school was passing out free kits because it had become that much of an out break. The girl was finally sent home with a kit and was told not to return unless she was nit free!

I would purchase a nit comb they are very fine toothed and comb through your hair and inspect the comb. It is the only way to be sure, I would also use the shampoo as a preventative.

X.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey Morty. I remember all too well back in Atlantic Canada, undergoing that hideous in-class inspection by our health nurse.

Of course, little did I know, you could not only catch head lice; head lice love CLEAN hair.

Morty my dear. You've seen me in-person; I've seen you in-person.

Just the same, I do recall that there were things such as Xandria mentioned: nit combs. There is also a special shampoo.

But...I do recall the vinegar as a means of drying up the 'nits'. I do not know if it actually got rid of the lice. (the insect)

We had a horrible outbreak back east when I was in elementary/junior high. I would go home everyday and soak my head in warm water and vinegar. It drove me crazy!

Also, the stigmatism associated with head lice. Good heavens!

Talk to the boys, see what they're comfortable with. Just because something is 'in' doesn't mean that the former style doesn't resurface. Most trends/styles are recycled. But the short hair is A-OK. It's easier, that's for sure, to combat head lice....IF....it should happen. But head lice can happen anywheres. Give southern Ontario's 3 month heatwave, the little critters have had plenty of time to breed and make themselves readily available for head-to-head transport.

I'm keeping my hair short. No room for anything more than a headache.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Its a constant problem in our kids school, all it takes is one person not to bother sorting their child out and they just re-infect everyone again. We keep our kids hair very short in school time - also use a tee-tree oil based shampoo - it stinks but the little buggers don't like it! It worked so far for us.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Yep - tea tree oil and vinegar is good. Also use conditioner on your hair because the eggs can't stick as well to it, so if you do get them they're easier to comb out.

Apparently, head lice are on the increase much for the similar reason as 'superbugs' - overuse of the treatment, so they have developed immunity. So never use a treatment unless you're certain you've got something that needs treating!

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Shaving your head works well. Grade 1 all over!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Shave your head like Sigourney Weaver!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Nits - if youve got kids get used to em. Now we dont have nit nurses in UK schools anymore they have become our national little friends. I never had em when I was a kid, but have had em loads of times since my daughter started school (and she goes to a WAY better school than I went to).

But as the kids get older they dont pass em round so much ( I think its all that over friendly head nuzzling they do at primary school). My daughter is 7 now, and she hasnt had em for a good long while.

When I did my teacher training I did one term at a special school. A lot of those kids were in 'care' and really werent cared for at all. Both me and the other trainee teacher got nits that term, and in a cunning twist of fate - of which I am very proud - I brought them home and gave them to my daughter, rather than the other way round!

I dont think those nit combs work - too easy to miss one. Shampoo always worked the best for us.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

BTW - dont be scared. Once youve had em the stigma wears off! Theyre just a minor irritant really.

Once you are scratching at the base of your neck and behind your ears (nice and warm, lots of blood vessels) you know to check, and other people cant see em for ages - you'd have to be RIFE with em for anyone else to see em in your hair.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit