Watchtowerfarm.org

by gringojj 11 Replies latest jw friends

• gringojj
    gringojj

Has anyone seen the sight recently? They took down the official watchtower logo. They seem to be offering alot of stuff like calendars, books, claiming to be from the Bethel library. I was thinking maybe the WTS is just reprinting them to try and make money, but wouldnt they just use thier own publishing company? Or is it possible that they dont want dubs to know they are reprinting them because then they would want to read the old stuff and it would really mess them up. Imagine all the jws reading all the old material and getting confused about whats old light and whats new? I guess it would be a mess. On the other hand i cant imagine the WTS seeing an opportunity to make money and passing it up. Any thoughts?

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have talked to the webmaster by email and online. I believe he is on this forum as well. I assume when/if he is ready to talk, we will be hearing more. It will certainly be interesting to hear his story and I'm anxiously awaiting that day.

Out of concern they'd be sued, I shared with him the laws about using someone else's logos. That may or may not be why the WT was taken down, I have no idea.

My guess, and I stress this is a guess, they are reprinting materials obtained from other sources. US copyright law allows reprinting someone else's work after a certain # of years goes by. It is not illegal in those cases.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I bought a couple of the Maria Russell titles from them because I had never seen these before and I was curious about the quality of the product "watchtowerfarm" was offering.

The books aren't bad. They are not "replica"reprints" - images of the original pages - but are newly typeset in a plain, sans serif Arial-like font. From a typographic point of view, they are as plain looking as can be. They use generic LuLu covers. The back cover has a small portrait photo of Maria which would be quite nice if it wasn't loaded with jpeg artifacts. The one small photo inside "The Twain One" is of poor quality - too small and too many artifacts.

Lastly I would say that from the prices charged, it is clear that as they said, they're trying to build a retirement fund. They aren't doing this to help people with doubts get out of the WTS, and their choice of material - all pretty non-controversial so far - makes this evident. Maybe their CTR and JFR calendars have some interesting photos on them. I don't know.

That's my two cents, based upon actually buying the product and examining it.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I remember this one... I did a 'whois' on the site name, and located the owner of the site, who is in New York state.

It is _not_ affiliated with the WTBTS. It ought to be interesting to see what happens.

Regards,

Jim TX

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN
    I have talked to the webmaster by email and online. I believe he is on this forum as well I assume when/if he is ready to talk, we will be hearing more. It will certainly be interesting to hear his story and I'm anxiously awaiting that day.

I have read some of his e-mail correspondence and agree that it would be most enlightening if he and his friends decide to post regarding their plight as longtime Bethelites now in their senior years. Heartrending, indeed.

Out of concern they'd be sued, I shared with him the laws about using someone else's logos That may or may not be why the WT was taken down, I have no idea.

They also removed their photo after being persuaded that it was not at all in their best interests with the WBTS to have it posted.

My guess, and I stress this is a guess, they are reprinting materials obtained from other sources. US copyright law allows reprinting someone else's work after a certain # of years goes by. It is not illegal in those cases.

I've no idea about ---nor interest in---the materials they're selling but, as I've stated elsewhere on this topic, though initially skeptical, my strong impression from reading their responses to some inquiries has since become that they are exactly who they claimed to be at the outset, i.e., disillusioned elderly Bethelites trying to make a life for themselves on their own in their remaining years. They have obviously since come to understand how such candor can rouse the rabble and hurt their cause.

AMNESIAN

• rebel8
    rebel8

Me too.

I also wonder if JWs realize how many ex-JWs really exist. I had no idea there were millions of us until I joined this forum. The large number of inquiries into their site may have been a shock.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

old copyright laws had a 50-year expiration. The law has changed and with current law I don't believe anything after a certain day, ever expires.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Kind of weird, or comical?

Jehovah's Witnesses: From Publisher to Elder in Six Months

Are you one of those men in your congregation who have been constantly overlooked for the position of Elder? Have you been waiting years and years and have seen brothers who came into the Truth after you appointed Elder and you are still waiting? Does it seem that no matter what you do you will never receive an appointment as Elder? Don't despair. This self-help book was written especially for you by very experienced Jehovah's Witnesses. We do not preach to you and this book does not contain scriptures. Instead, this is a straightforward book that outlines for you step by step what you need to do to get the appointment of Elder that you seek.

OUR PRICE: $11.99

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Brenda said,

old copyright laws had a 50-year expiration. The law has changed and with current law I don't believe anything after a certain day, ever expires.

That is not quite accurate. Copyrights in 1920 lasted for 28 years. The copyright could be renewed during it's last year for an additional 28 year term. IT could not be renewed earlier or later.
    Over the years, congress has increased the term of a copyright, largly due to the influence of the music industry and Congressman Sonny Bono. Today a copyright lasts for 95 years and cannot be renewed.
    ANY US publication from 1923 or earlier is now in the public domain. The status of individual titles printed after 1923 can vary, and each needs to be looked at separately.
    There is no such thing as perpetual copyright protection.
    Sources: "The Copyright Handbook" by Nolo Press The US Copyright Office website
  • NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

They certainly aren't giving anything away on that site. They want $19.99 for When Pastor Russell Died, which can be obtained from the Dawn Bible Students for something like 25 cents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit