Don't you hate it when?

by JV 18 Replies latest jw friends

• JV
    JV

Do you have a toll free number candidly nuts? I don't get paid till next friday

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

sorry honey, i'm easy but i aint cheap.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I hate it when... the Active topics view starts on a new page with one post on it (but I didn't want to start my own topic on it)

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Somebody started calling me the other day, would just hang on the line and not talk. After a few times, I did the reverse lookup on the number and got his name and address. The next time he called, I used his name. "Hello? Phil, is this you? Is this the phil smith that lives at 123 main street in Columbus Ohio?" (I wanted him to understand that he was not "anonymous" and he needed to leave me alone.) He hung up. No calls for a few hours, then finally another one. Same routine as before. I was about to start threatening to call the police when I heard the phone pick up. He said -- in a clearly nervous voice -- "Who is this?! Are you some kinda hacker or a cyber stalker or something?"

*He's* been calling me all day, and he's accusing *me* of stalking!

Turns out that he has dialup internet access, and somehow my number became the number his computer was calling. All day he's been off the internet, and from his perspective it's all my fault. He's heard me calling his name -- even his address -- from the speaker in his computer! Scary!

Once I realized it was all a misunderstanding, I offered to help him figure out what the right number should be, but he was still half-convinced that I was bent on attacking him. He said he'd get it worked out on his own and hung up.

I'm often amazed how thoroughly wrong my perceptions of a situation can be.

Dave

• JV
    JV

Almost, that's hilarious, some guy left a message on my phone the other day, apparently he was trying to call his buddy 'rusty' and he said that he was right outside of rusty's house but that's not the name on my voice mail so I have no idea what that guy was smoking but i want some

• undercover
    undercover

People not leaving messages doesn't bother me. I rarely answer the phone...I check the caller ID and unless it's a call I'm expecting or somebody in the immediate family, I usually let the answering machine get it. If it's important enough, the caller will leave a message. If not, then I didn't miss anything.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I hate it when callers leave stupid nonessential messages; it's enough for me to just know they called by caller ID; if they leave messages like "just calling to say hi" and nothing else I have to go through all of them slowly and listen to them before I can just skip and delete them quickly (for now)- I dont know any other faster way to go through all of them on my cell phone as I have a new phone and haven't figured it out yet.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

I think caller ID, like most technological advances, can be a ridiculously dangerous tool for people who clearly have too much time on their hands.

I work for a company that has all calls routed through the corporate switchboard. I cannot count the number of calls our receptionists field daily from people call back and ask "Did someone from here call me?" What, may I ask, is the point of such a call? If the caller had wanted to leave a message, they would have. Many of these people are incurring long distance charges to ask a question that can have no satisfying answer just because the unfamiliar number on the caller ID display was toomuch for their curious little brains to ignore.

I figure that if someone can't be bothered to leave a message, I'm not going to consider the call important enough for me to investigate. Put down the phone, get on with your life!

• thom
    thom

---"I cannot count the number of calls our receptionists field daily from people call back and ask "Did someone from here call me?"---
    I got one of those calls at work a few years ago. She called and said she saw the number on her missed calls and wanted to know if we're a business and why we're calling her. She proceeds to tell me that she has had her number removed from many lists and she's going to make big trouble for a telemarking company like mine.
    Well, we weren't a telemarketing company, and we only did business with other businesses. I told her that and said that someone here must have misdialed a number and then hung up when they heard her voice mail. She didn't believe me and assured me that I'd hear from the authorites as I'm obviously going around the lists and telemarketing. I never heard from anyone about it after that.
    Like telemarketing to consumers is a good way to sell wiring harness manufacturing services anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit