romans 6 vs 9

by stillajwexelder 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi Heathen,
    I have mentioned some resources that can clue you in on consistent interpretation of scripture.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/97118/1663605/post.ashx#1663605

Methinks you have not examined your belief structure for WTS misconceptions and inconsistencies:
    Do they know the Bible? - Or just certain proof-texts?

Jehovah's Witnesses give the impression of knowing their Bible. They flip back and forth to their favorite "proof" texts with the greatest of ease, "proving" their points and defeating your arguments -- or at least stirring up enough dust to cloud the issue. But, in reality, most JWs don't know the Bible.
    What they do know is those few dozen "proof" texts, taken out of context by their organization and re-assembled to form arguments far afield from what the Bible actually says.
    The Witnesses are taught to believe they "study the Bible" more than other religions, but their study material actually consists of Watchtower Society publications. Bible verses are quoted, but out of context.
    Not only is the context omitted, but the verses are actually placed in a different context, namely the context of the Watchtower material.
    To grasp how this can change the meaning, think of the entire biblical passage as a cooked turkey breast. Someone cutting into that turkey breast and eating it will know what it tastes like. However, someone who is given just a thin slice smothered with mustard between layers of rye bread will know only what the sandwich tastes like -- not the taste of the turkey itself.
    Similarly, the original flavor or meaning of a Bible verse can be completely lost or changed when sandwiched between introductory words and concluding application in the pages of a Watchtower book.
    Feeding on steady diet of such "scripture sandwiches," Jehovah's Witnesses never really come to know the Bible. But they do learn the Watchtower Society's teachings, along with the proof texts the Society uses to make those teachings appear to be "Bible-based."

Shining One

• heathen
    heathen

Personally I don't give a crap what the WTBTS says. They don't even accept the fact that jesus was promoted to God as what Isaiah 9:6 indicacates . I do agree with them on one thing and that is that jesus is actually prince Michael in the old testament the arch angel .As I said before I am conviced that there is no trinity and that the holy spirit is in fact Gods active force that can fill people and not God himself . The trinity concept was derived from translating the word spirit as ghost . I have no desire to change my beliefs on the issue .

• willy_think
    willy_think

The Law, the law, the law must be obeyed by man and god. Under the old law any violation was a violation of all the laws. Atonement for that violation must be made by way of animal sacrifice. What sacrifice was available that would be good enough to forgive all the sins of the world? That sacrifice could only be a perfect animal. Without blemish. No such thing in this world, such thing could never come from this world.

Jesus took the form of a slave. In this lowered state he could live and die a man. He came to be sacrificed. He was sacrificed and god excepted it, as the law called for. Fulfilling the law and eliminating the need for future sacrifice.

Jesus was an animal sacrifice

With all that initials.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Heathen:

So do you believe that essentially the Holy Spirit is an impersonal part of God?

• hooberus
    hooberus
    If Christ is God - how could death have had mastery at anytime over the sovereign of the universe?

The only way that death could have had mastery at anytime over the sovereign of the universe would be if the sovereign had placed himself under death.

"As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." John 10:15-18

"Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God." Isaiah 44:6

"Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last." Isaiah 48:12

"And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death." Revelation 1:17-18

"And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;" Revelation 2:8

• heathen
    heathen

LT-- that's another thing that is hard to get a good understanding of . Apparently the holy spirit can be grieved but I don't think of it as being God . It's used by God to give revelation to man . I do think of it as the force in star wars kinda sorta ......

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Heathen:
    I'm not going down the route of the Holy Spirit as a person, just yet. But given that you think the JWs are right with it being "God's active force", is it therefore part of God himself, in your opinion?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    is it therefore part of God himself, in your opinion?

'course not, it's an electrical current!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ozzie:Ya mean like we have electrical currents running through our bodies?

Heathen:
    Further (and I'm genuinely interested in your opinion of this), how do you understand John 17:5?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit