Ouija board?

by out of the box 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• out of the box
    out of the box

I was a teenager I bought a Ouigja board and my sisters and I played with it. It scared us so much we threw it away!

But, I was forwarned about it, so I guess I could have driven myself to madness with my own mind! ha ha!

Anyone here play with one?

out of the box

• Momofmany
    Momofmany
    Anyone here play with one?

Years ago. My Grandmother had one. So when we would visit, my sister and I would play with the board. It used to scare us, and excite us at the same time.

• Mary
    Mary

I haven't but my sister tried it when she first left the Borg many years ago. Scared the hell out of her as she asked it a question that no one in the room would have known........my mom and her friend used to play with a ouija board when they were kids before my grandma started studying with the Witnesses. They'd laugh and accuse each other of moving the board around.........

• scotsman
    scotsman

Played with one recently and zilch occured.

There have been a few threads on this recently and it struck me that it was primarily women that were having questions answered and prophecies come true through a ouija. It was also my experience while a Witness that the majority of incidences of "demonic" activity was visited upon women (books flying across rooms, voices, something pinning them to the bed etc). The only man I came across having similar problems was bi-polar and had starved himself into oblivion and I would guess was hallucinating.

At the risk of being labelled a misogynist... Have any men on the board had anything happen with a ouija board?

• M.J.
    M.J.

Why would spirits necessarily respond to a package of fabricated cardboard and plastic from Parker Brothers? It seems more likely that humans would respond to a human manufactured product according to human design.

check out this article: http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/Ouija%20board.html

Actually, the movement is due to the ideomotor effect and this can be shown by the fact that when the operator is properly blindfolded, only gibberish is produced.
  • out of the box
    out of the box

M.J. Thanks for that link. I read it and it is interesting. I liked the fact:

when the operator is properly blindfolded, only gibberish is produced.

very interesting. ideomotor effect http://skepdic.com/ideomotor.html. Thanks!

out of the box

• riotgirlpeeps
    riotgirlpeeps

Very interesting article indeed but I don't feel it went into enough explanation onto the study of how it explains what happens when a minimum of three are on the board.

I have used ouija boards a few times, most have been homemade.

My sig other who is from England has commented that he finds it odd and slightly disturbing that its a board game in the US.

I am not entirely sure what causes them to work or not work, but at this point I can't rule things out because they have always worked when i have been around, and with my boy and another friend on them as well. In addition there have been a few incidents that have tied to what was told on them to completely rule out the legitimacy of them for me at least.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello riotgirl and/or other Ouija board believers,

If you believe there is something to the Ouija board other than people playing tricks on themselves, there is a simple experiment you can do to prove conclusively whether or not spirits are communicating with you. Check it out:

1. Have a friend who will not be manipulating or viewing the Ouija board write a short series of numbers between 1 and 100 on a piece of paper and leave it face up on the other side of the room where it would presumably be visible to any spirits in the room, but not to the Ouija board operators. This friend should never be able to view the board, lest she unwittingly give the operators hints when they get close to the right numbers.
    2. The operators ask the Ouija board what the numbers are. The operators should write their answers down without saying anything aloud.
    3. After completing the list, compare the the two lists.

This should be easy information for spirits to give you if they exist. If they are really directing your hands, it should be trivially easy to get all the numbers right, and in the correct order. A series of five numbers between 1 and 100 would be sufficient to rule out any possibility of merely having guessed right, as those odds would be 1 in 10,000,000,000. Therefore, this would constitute powerful evidence that the spirits are real. On the other hand, if they can't even muster the clarity of thought to tackle this simple task, I think you should seriously look at alternative explanations for what you believe you saw before.

If you do this experiment, it is critically important that you follow the steps exactly as outlined. Humans are very clever at tricking themselves. These steps prevent that from happening. If you can reliably get some results (perhaps you make friends with a cooperative spirit?), by all means let me know. I'd be willing to travel anywhere in the world to see such phenomena actually working. However, I have the feeling that when subjected to rigorous method, the Ouija board will unfortunately fail to produce any effect.

Happy testing, and let me know what you find!

SNG

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

what SNG said.

TS

• daystar
    daystar

Curious, how many times in a month does someone start a frickin' Ouija board thread, asking all the same questions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit