Can your mind be read?

by sonnyboy 34 Replies latest social humour

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    It is not even remotely cryptic.

That's why I said it's easier to figure out (if done correctly that is).

The way it's done on the site I found it on doesn't give you time to think about how the answer is derived.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Here you go, Jeffro. This one's a little less obvious, but it freaked me out because I chose the 'answer' as my original number.

Think of a positive number. 1. Square it.

2. Add the result to your original number.

3. Divide by your original number.

4. Add, oh I don't know, say 17.

5. Subtract your original number.

6. Divide by 6.

The number you are thinking of now is 3!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I also initially chose three. Because the first question asks you to square the number, and you know other mathematical operations will be involved, you automatically don't want to choose too high a number. (Four takes you into double-digits straight away.) Because two seems just too simple, the most common choice would be 3.

This one's not complicated either. Must have been all of the those math competitions I did in high school. LOL. n^2+n divided by n leaves you with n+1. The supposedly arbitrary 17 is added to 1 to make 18 and the original n is subtracted. 18/6 equals 3 no matter what the value of n.

But thanks for trying :)

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

wrong on both counts?

The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma. ~ Patrick Starr

• John Doe
    John Doe

Same here, Talesin.

Fast! Think of a number between 12 and 5.

This one is easy to see why we got 7--we see "between 12 and 5" and our brain automatically subtracts the two--we're so conditioned to adding or subtracting when given two numbers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit