What's the JW view on food intake?

by sonnyboy 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I've been thinking, if the JWs won't allow smoking, excessive drinking, or the alteration of the outer body, do they also have rules about caloric, saturated fat, transfat, and sodium intake?

These things can be just as harmful to the body in the long run.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

No they don't, and man is that a good point. It's something I pointed out to my elder father once. The Bible directly speaks about gluttony. As the JW's are so adament about smoking (not mentioned in the Bible) and the like, you'd think that fat JW's would be getting called into JC meetings all the time. But they don't. Why? Could it be because a lot of elders are complete fatasses? Or are married to plump women? Me thinks so!

• minimus
    minimus

Bethelites try to cram as much food in their mouths as time permits.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    Could it be because a lot of elders are complete fatasses? Or are married to plump women? Me thinks so!

You're probably right; just about every elder at my old Hall could stand to lose a few pounds. This may be a good question to ask one of them: "Why is it that you're not allowed to smoke, but you're free to stuff your face with unlimited amounts Big Macs and Twinkies?"

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Well I just did maybe 15 minutes of research on the WT-CDROM and in the Flock book and couldn't find anything about expelling someone from the congo for gluttony or making overeating a practice.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Watch the documentary "Supersize Me" by Morgan Spurlock. He proves that fast food consumption is just as bad for the body as alcohol and smoking. In view of this I think the JW's need to crack down on the membership. They need to have fitness testing. It is well documented what a persons body fat, and weight should be for their frame. Any JW who cannot meet these guidelines within a six month period should be summarily disfellowshipped! Just like smoking.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

*** w85 12/15 p. 22 Self-Control Vital for Christians ***

However, overdrinking and gluttony are not only unhealthy but may even result in a Christian’s being excluded from the Christian congregation.

*** w87 9/15 p. 19 Keep Submitting to "the Spirit That Is Life-Giving" ***

Gluttony and drunkenness are condemned in the Bible. (Proverbs 23:20, 21) So be honest and ask yourself: Is there room for improvement in my eating and drinking habits? If you need to exercise greater self-control, recognize this and work in harmony with your prayers for God’s spirit to help you overcome this problem. "Do not be getting drunk with wine, in which there is debauchery, but keep getting filled with spirit," said Paul. (Ephesians 5:18) Yes, become filled with God’s spirit, and do not succumb to the unrestrained spirit of this world! "Whether you are eating or drinking or doing anything else, do all things for God’s glory." (1 Corinthians 10:31) If you have persistent problems along these lines, however, seek the help of spiritually mature men in the congregation.—Galatians 6:1; James 5:14, 15.

*** w78 12/15 pp. 10-11 Gluttony—Why Avoid It? ***

In the days of the apostles of Jesus Christ, it appears that some gave themselves up to overindulgence. Hence, when Paul instructed Timothy and Titus as to who should serve in responsible positions within the Christian congregation, he warned against appointing greedy persons and specified that those selected should be "moderate in habits." (1 Tim. 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9) Obviously, this would exclude gluttons. Such "greedy persons" will not inherit God’s kingdom.—1 Cor. 6:9, 10.

While they admit that body size isn't enough to label someone a glutton, how they're supposed to enforce this without someone asking for reproof is beyond me.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    The Bible directly speaks about gluttony.

Really - where ?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    The Bible directly speaks about gluttony.
    Really - where ?

Proverbs 23:20,21

• Justin
    Justin
    Good food, and plenty of it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit