Only Jehovah appoints elders ?

by KAYTEE 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ticker
    Ticker

I forgot to mention that a congregation I was part of had an elder that was in that position for many years and was accused by his daughter for sexual abuse, this of course was hush hush. His daughter to this day has never spoken a word to him. Well later he was df'd and it apparently had something to do with his baby granddaughter and the whole family came down to see his DF'ing, as I cant say for sure he was a repeat pedophile, as I wouldnt know all the fine details, but it seems very coincedental. Now ask yourself how can holy spirit be behind something like this when he was an elder for roughly 10 years, and how could he have the gull to disfellowship ones for such pettiness as smoking or drinking, when he himself was guilty of much more serious sins. That was one of the other pieces of the puzzle that really put the JW's into perspective for me. I knew that their was no way God was ever behind the elders when they had such secret sins as that. It was all a scam.

Ticker

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Ticker:

Now ask yourself;how can holy spirit be behind something like this when he was an elder for roughly 10 years, and how could he have the gull to disfellowship ones for such pettiness as smoking or drinking, when he himself was guilty of much more serious sins.

If you had said this out loud, they would have used the "oh, but we are only human, and even the GB are only humans". Doublespeak. When they`re not doing anything wrong, they`re "appointed by God directly, thru his active force, the holy ghost". When they rape little children, or cover up for the ones that do these things (for which, if there was any justice in the world, the guilty should be shot and buried in cow shit!), they are "only human, and humans makes mistakes". To sum it up: They suck.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Ticker and Hellrider

Your'e so right in what you say. Their pet answer, when things have gone wrong has always seemed to be "...we are imperfect and Satan is tempting us" but what they didn't allow for was the rest of the world to use the same excuse. I used to ask "what excuse are we going to use in the New System when Satan is out of the way?" as usual their would be no comment.

Kaytee

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yeah...I knew the whole "Jehoba appoints and approves" of elders and MS's was bullshite when various guys I was having sex with were appointed to being MS's or Elders. What we were doing wasn't just uncleaness...but full on man on man fornication.

Made me want to look behind the curtain.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

*** w01 1/15 pp. 14-16 Overseers and Ministerial Servants Theocratically Appointed ***

COPYWRITE WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK

While bodies of elders share with traveling overseers in recommending brothers to serve as elders and ministerial servants, the actual appointments are made according to the pattern set in the first century. On one occasion, a need arose for spiritually qualified men to care for an important assignment. The governing body gave the following direction: "Search out for yourselves seven certified men from among you, full of spirit and wisdom, that we may appoint them over this necessary business." (Acts 6:1-3) While men on the scene made the recommendations, the appointments were made by responsible men there in Jerusalem. A similar pattern is followed today.

The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses directly appoints all members of Branch Committees. When deciding who can assume such a weighty responsibility, the Governing Body has in mind Jesus’ statement: "Everyone to whom much was given, much will be demanded of him; and the one whom people put in charge of much, they will demand more than usual of him." (Luke 12:48) In addition to appointing Branch Committee members, the Governing Body appoints Bethel elders and traveling overseers.

However, they do commission responsible brothers to act for them in making certain other appointments. There is Scriptural precedent also for this.

‘Make

Appointments, as I Gave You Orders’

Paul told his coworker Titus: "For this reason I left you in Crete, that you might correct the things that were defective and might make appointments of older men in city after city, as I gave you orders." (Titus 1:5) Paul then outlined the qualifications that Titus was to look for in men who would qualify for such appointments. Today, therefore, the Governing Body appoints qualified brothers at the branches to represent it in making appointments of elders and ministerial servants. Care is taken that those acting representatively on behalf of the Governing Body clearly understand and follow the Scriptural guidelines for making such appointments. Hence, it is under the direction of the Governing Body that qualified men are appointed to serve in the congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide.

When recommendations for appointment of overseers and ministerial servants are submitted to a branch office of the Watch Tower Society, experienced men rely on God’s spirit for guidance in making the appointments. These men feel a sense of accountability, realizing that they must not lay their hands hastily upon any man, lest they share in his sins.—1 Timothy 5:22.

Certain appointments may be transmitted by a letter bearing an official stamp from a legal entity. Such a letter may be used to appoint more than one brother in the congregation.

Theocratic appointments come from Jehovah through his Son and God’s visible earthly channel, "the faithful and discreet slave" and its Governing Body. (Matthew 24:45-47) The whole process of such recommendation and appointment is directed, or guided, by holy spirit. This is the case because the qualifications are set out in God’s Word, which is inspired by holy spirit, and the individual appointed gives evidence of producing the fruitage of that spirit. Therefore, the appointments are to be viewed as being made by holy spirit. Just as overseers and ministerial servants were appointed theocratically in the first century, the same is true today.
  • KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

thanks for some interesting points as usual.

Just wanted to ask again - If anyone had heard of, or known Bro. Kite. The tape I have of his talk, appears to be recorded at a Circuit/District assembly, back in the 80s/early 90s.

KT

• garybuss
    garybuss

Floyd Kite and Charles Sunutko Special Talks (sample on RealAudio)
    Floyd Kite was a top-requested lecturer and served as a Circuit and District Overseer for years in New York and California. C. Sunutko lectured mainly on the Eastern seaboard as a Circuit Overseer. Both focused on the end times and 1975 and Kite kept you glued to your seats!
    http://www.freeminds.org/sales/cassettes.htm

• Ticker
    Ticker

The following is a link to another topic about Jim's book that he is publishing but its interesting in that it shows that the governing body knows nothing of the people they sppoint to CO's. Good to see the holy spirit really working in a society appointed representative. lol

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/96944/1.ashx

Ticker

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Jehovah Appointed me Ministerial servant, and I am "spiritually battling the org". ( I am still an MS )

Jehovah also tried to appoint me elder twice, with me refusing

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Depends which article you chose to read at the time. Elders like to think that this is litarally true

w84 3/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***
    It is true that God uses his holy spirit in appointing, commissioning, or putting, elders in assigned places

Other articlces have given a more pragmatic view that it is only because the elders are seen to measure up to the scriptures, which were laid down by H/S

Personally , I know that I was appointed at times when I was feeling low and plainly did not qualify . I saw too much from the inside to have held to this Holy Spirit belief, even way before I left

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit