Only Jehovah appoints elders ?

by KAYTEE 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Prior to my resignation from the JWs, I heard a taped talk by Bro. Kite (appeared to be an American from the Bethell) where he spoke about some-one in a communist country joining the Org. and making his way "up the ladder", eventually finishing up as a district overseer. Whereby he then released all of the names and addresses of bros and sisters to that particular communist state. It was later discovered that he was a spy who had infiltrated the Org. right from the outset.

My question is now, as it was then, (a few years ago) - If JWs are the ones that have Jehovah's spirit direction, are we to believe that Jehovah appointed this person right the way up to District Overseer, when, in the nation of Israel, any deviation from God's plan incurred his displeasure.

I had a running battle for years on this subject. I insisted that Jehovah did NOT personally appoint elders etc. whereas the elders insisted that he did. The scripture they wouldn't answer, that I used was - "Do not appoint a newly converted brother" - was God talking to himself ?

This might sound as if I am answering my own question, after-all, Aaron was appointed to the second highest position in the nation of Israel, (High Priest), even-though he instigated false worship (calf worship) when Moses went up the mountain.

PS would be interested to know if anyone knows if Bro. Kite is still in the Organisation

Kaytee

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Here's the catch:

w92 2/1 p. 16 ‘In the Name of the Holy Spirit’ ***

Yes, congregation overseers, or elders, are appointed by holy spirit. In what way? In that appointed elders must meet the qualifications outlined in the inspired Bible. (1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9) They can develop those qualifications only with the help of holy spirit. Further, the body of elders that recommends a new elder prays for the guidance of holy spirit to discern whether he meets the qualifications or not. And the actual appointment is made under the supervision of the spirit-anointed faithful and discreet slave.

To parse that down:

• In that appointed elders must meet the qualifications outlined in the inspired Bible.
    • They can develop those qualifications only with the help of holy spirit.
    • A new elder prays for the guidance of holy spirit to discern whether he meets the qualifications or not.

Basically if the man fits the job qualifications according the "Bible" (really the WT) thats "appointed by HS".

Rarely have I met an elder who believes any voodoo happens behind closed doors. Its all very procedural and political.

But if they admit that then there's no magic - no God interaction.

But honestly, if you have a penis and you count more than 10 hours a month, you can be an elder. Many congregations are hurting for eligible men.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

You do answer your question already I think.

There are two options:

1) Jehovah likes unfaithfull man to be elder. There are/were some elders here too.... Well, he did worse things in the past, but It does not make real sense.

2) Elders are appointed by men.

The last one is very clear. I know of people, oing wrong, not believeing anything of it, being appoited as an elder. No godly prevention.
    When are you not appointed as elder:
    a) not much fieldservice (however this does not have to be a big problem)
    b) other elders do not like you
    c) other elders do not trust you
    d) no penis
    e) no buttkisser

Danny

• Honesty
    Honesty

Neither Jehovah or the Holy Spirit appoint elders in the WT/JW organisation because it is a cult. Jehovah, the Holy Spirit nor Jesus have anything to do with the WT/JW's. It is all political appointments. If you have a relative who is an elder your opportunities for appointment increase unless they don't trust you or you are very intelligent.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad
    if you have a penis and you count more than 10 hours a month, you can be an elder.

That's it in a nutshell! You can be a complete idiot but as long as you get the magic number and put it on a piece of paper each month, you are a wonderful brother.

Been there!

HappyDad

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Further, the body of elders that recommends a new elder prays for the guidance of holy spirit to discern whether he meets the qualifications or not.

What tangible difference does this actually make? It seems as though they would already have decided by that point anyway. It's relatively black-and-white for them to think of a person they know and tick of the qualities in the scriptures that the person has (appears to have).

Have there been any instances of the elders discussing a possibly appointee, deciding he seems to fit the criteria, and then after praying about it, decide they shouldn't appoint him?

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Jethro

One elder's comment to my husband (Kaytee) was "You will never be an elder because you would not work with the body of elders" (in other words - he would rock the boat too often!) even though at that time, he met all the scriptural requirements. How different to another congregation that we visited whilst on holiday, when one of the elders of that congregation, tried to get us to live there saying that he would soon be an elder, ( because they were short of elders) -

SUPPLY AND DEMAND or SPIRITUAL APPOINTMENTS?

Of course, now he is so pleased that he did'nt ever reach those "dizzy heights".

Twink

• garybuss
    garybuss

When mythology get's repeated, respected, believed, and treated as fact, people get hurt. When superstition gets applied to mythology all sorts of crimes become justifiable. When the Bible is not just literature but "the word of God" it's okay to beat your children with a yard stick.
    My life is worse because of religious superstition and mythology. My first wife is dead, my son is disabled, and my family is fractured all with the blessings of mythology, religious superstition, and big business exploiting it all.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

There was a watchtower in the last 5 years about this and I will try and dig it out.

Holy Spirit appoints Governing Body

The Governing Body appoints (under oversight of Holy Spirit) ZO, DO, CO, Bethel Elders, Branch Committee.

Branch Committees (under the oversight of the Governing Body and help of Holy Spirit) appoint Reg Pioneers, Elders, MS

• Ticker
    Ticker

Read Ray's experience in Crisis of Conscience which covers this very subject of appointing elders and CO's, etc..

The Governing body does not appoint the elders or pray over their names as is often thought by the R & F but rather elders appointment is decided upon by the elder body and reinforced with the visiting CO's approval. As for the Org. men such as CO's and DO's and such, they are appointed by their service track record, and the names the GB look at are just that names. They know nothing personal of them and strickly look at service hours and their past theocratic record.

Ticker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit