A Nice Experience I Had on Sunday

by dunsscot 25 Replies latest jw friends

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dearest mum and others,

An elder approached me after the meeting on Sunday and said he wanted to ask me a question. His query dealt with John 1:1.

You see, this elder knows that I have formally studied Koine and Attic Greek. He thus wanted to put my GNWSIS to the test. He asked me about the two clauses PROS TON QEON and KAI QEOS HN hO LOGOS. He particularly wanted to know why the two words for God were spelled differently. He did not know if the disparate case endings had any doctrinal significance or not.

Well, I adroitly explained that one ending was accusative and another was nominative. I then expounded on the difference between the nominative and the accusative cases as well as the significance of PROS + the accusative.

I do not want to blow my own horn, but this experience just made my day. The elder was extremely thankful and said my education had really come in handy. What an encouraging brotherhood we have.

Duns "I once was lost, but now I am found" Scot

• joelbear
    joelbear

Do yall think we will ever actually have a nice humble Jehovah's Witness ever visit this site?

Do they exist any more?

wondering hugs

Joel

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I'm amazed that you could find an elder who could spell
    "God" in Greek. Most elders I know can barely spell it in
    English.

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dear Joel,

:Do yall think we will ever actually have a nice humble Jehovah's Witness ever visit this site?
    Do they exist any more?

wondering hugs:

I am one of the most humble JWs you'll ever meet. Why, I am one of the meekest men on the face of planet earth, period.

Duns the Scot

• joelbear
    joelbear

Actions speak louder than words.

I think someone once said.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

What dumbs doesn't realize yet is that elder was just collecting evidence for the judicial comm that is formed to df him.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Wuh OH! duns is in a funny mood today!

Let me tell you something Duns. I've met Moses, I know Moses. You're no Moses.

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

Duns, most of us try to be helpful in sharing information here rather than show off.

Do you think it might be helpful to explain why you write QEOS
    rather than THEOS?

Not many understand transliteration schemas. Take the opportunity to explain.

Jerry

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Duns is really trying hard to be a smartarse today, Jerry. In many Greek fonts, Q is used to represent theta (the "th") in Greek.

As for your nice experience Duns, a pity it wasn't one of substance, like someone from the KH inviting you home for lunch and a pleasant afternoon of just sitting and chatting. Everyone's too busy with the works for salvation program to just sit and smell the flowers from time to time, I imagine.

Q: How do you know a Dub loyal to "Jehovah's Organisation" is lying?
    A: Their lips are moving.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Runningman said:

I'm amazed that you could find an elder who could spell
    "God" in Greek. Most elders I know can barely spell it in
    English.

Most elders have been "taught" to spell "G O D" as "W a t c h t o w e r".

Slipnslidemaster: "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit