Is the problem with the JWs or the Bible?

by sonnyboy 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

This topic is a spin-off of another, but I'd like to hear people's opinions.

Since the Witnesses spew numerous Biblical passages which seem to justify their beliefs and practices, who's exactly to blame for their less-than-human approach to life? What laws do the JWs live by that are NOT justified in some way by the Judeo-Christian Bible? Is shunning justified in the scriptures? Is being no part of the world justified? How about not taking blood, along with their other controversial beliefs? Is the Bible one huge contradiction?

I find it curious that many people leave the JWs only to embrace another form of Christianity, yet don't seem to acknowledge the possible Biblical validity of the JW's practices.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Both,

The bible is a book written a long time ago, when principles and customs were totally diferent then they are now.
    In a time when slave trade was normal, human rights were unheard of etc.

So, what do you expect, when you take such a book as the exact truth.....

The Jw's are to blame because they are willing to follow the bible, without thinking how the world may hve changed, and how the priciples must be fitted into this modern world.

Danny

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Danny,

So you believe that no one should take the Bible as exact truth? What do you think the motivation is of those who leave the JWs to become Catholic, Baptist, or some other denomination of Christianity?

I've found that most denominations DO accept the Bible as truth, but simply pick and choose which truth to live by. Why are the JW's truths more false than any other sect?

They are reading the same Bible.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Howdy, yeah I saw your post in the other thread.

I think I might have a problem with your use of the term "justified" because certainly from Jehovah's Witnesses' viewpoint they do feel that the types of beliefs and practices you identified are "justified by the Bible."

But your question of whether they are "justified by the Bible" actually calls for discussion and essentially exegesis and interpretation of the Bible and that is of course a very sticky wicket.

I think your subtextual point is very valid and is what I find interesting because it is somewhat in tune with my own philosophy and approach to the Bible. What I would say in short is that I think when anyone relies upon the precise wording of a scripture, right down to the minutiae, or even relies upon large passages alone to "justify" or to inform their own belief or to arrive at some conclusions, then they definitely run into a danger of the fact that the Bible itself as a text is not the "Word of God" in the sense that every iota is what God wished or would say to mankind. The Bible, if one is a believer, is only as a whole to be taken as God's Word. It is a flawed and broken record of the greater revelation to mankind which informs about God, his purposes, our purpose and ultimately His salvation for us. When Paul spoke of "All Scripture" being "inspired" he did not mean that "EACH scripture" was inspired or somehow divinely dictated to a human secretary - for he himself knew that in his own epistles (some of which were already being taken as "authoritative" in his own time) that this was not the case. No what he meant is what he said, that "All" as a whole, that is collectively, are useful to mankind and beneficial to mankind.

I think in that all persons, whether believers or not, could agree that the Bible contains very useful principles and guidelines for living. Beyond that, for the faithful, it further contains a roadmap to salvation and also information that reveals the nature of God to us.

-Eduardo

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    Danny,

So you believe that no one should take the Bible as exact truth? What do you think the motivation is of those who leave the JWs to become Catholic, Baptist, or some other denomination of Christianity?

That is hard to say, people living the JW's to become another part of another denomination. People of other demoninations leave and become part of the JW's.
    There can be so many reasons and motivations for this.
    It can be very personal reasons that have nothing to do with the teachings (liking of some people there) to more fundamental reasons. Most reasons are probably a bit selfish, like wanted to live in this nice paradice that is so beautiful on the pictures (for joining the JW). A nimority of people really examing the things very well, in my opinion.
    But maybe, as many people as many motivations.

I've found that most denominations DO accept the Bible as truth, but simply pick and choose which truth to live by. Why are the JW's truths more false than any other sect? They are reading the same Bible.

I do not think that the JW's truth are more false then any other sect. The bible can be interprated in a lot of different ways, even when you try to take everything as literary as possible.
    The JW's have a issue with blood. A more fundamental protestant religion here, refuses any vaccinations (including for children) briging risk to themselves and others. Catalics forbid (at least in some ereas) birth control methods, causing lot of unwanted pregnancies etc. Which is more false?
    hard to measure 'falseness'. But beter stay away from them all..... Danny

• Scully
    Scully
    Is the problem with the JWs or the Bible?

Do we really have to choose between one or the other?

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

there is not one faith that takes ALL of the bible serious, simply because the bible does not promote ONE theology. don't forget it's not ONE book, it's a compilation of many books. you might also research a bit on the history of our current (protestant) canon (tehre are still some 5 or more canons around). for me this was an eye opener.

the compilation of the canon was nothing more spirit-guided than the watchtower.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    Do we really have to choose between one or the other?

Hi, Scully.

I don't choose between one or the other myself, but many people do. I'd like to know the reasons behind their choice.

Speaking for myself, I've read many of the JW's scriptures which seem to justify their practices (as have most of us), and...well...as far as the Bible is concerned, they seem to be solid.

That's why I said to hell with all of it.

• Gill
    Gill

I'm with a few others here and would agree....BOTH.

The Bible is the Holy Roman Empires little flit into control of the masses and the WTBTS use their spin on the Bible to control the JWs...so i say both!

• trevor
    trevor

Western society has been heavily influenced by the Bible. Ideas of sin, redemption, guilt, blame, sacrifice, atonement ect. Enjoying life is seen as sinful as life is meant to be used to serve God, alias the church.

Also the idea that rather than applying our energy and intelligence to solve problems Christian people will often just pray and leave the matter in ‘Gods hands.’ They will credit God with blessing them if a solution presents itself and if not they believe they must have displeased him.

All this acts to make their lives less productive and focused.

Personally I think our society would have done better to quietly put the Bible aside and follow the way of the TAO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit