If New Light (TM) is so important...

by Elsewhere 29 Replies latest jw friends

• MsShockJock
    MsShockJock

I think most witnesses sit through the meetings and don't even really hear what is being said from the platform. "Thinking persons" (a term the WT likes to use) can't tolerate the meetings becuase there are so many contradications and puzzling things being said. I used to drive myself nuts trying to figure out what things meant. When I would sit down to study the WT I couldn't even get through it becuase I had so many questions that I kept looking for the answers to and I would get side tracked from the actual article. Then I would get to the meeting and it still didn't make any sense. People would make these long, drawn out comments and afterward I would just shake my head and say 'Now what did they really say here' and I'm be more confused. It all sounded like a lot of double talk to me. So eventually my mind just went into day dream/sleep mode at the meetings. It was just easier that way. If you ever go to a meeting at the KH again Jaffacake just look around at all the blank stares on people's faces and you'll see what I mean.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    "Oceania was at war with Eurasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia."

LOL!!!! Exactly!! GGG

• garybuss
    garybuss

I zoned out at meetings. When they got to the a-typical anti-type Fred Franz gibberish, I'd start thinking where we were going to go to eat after the meeting. Meetings and service were something I did out of a combination of duty and habit so I'd have some kind of a fragile social life.
    If there was a God, I figured he knew I stole 3 silver bullets out of a toy Lone Ranger holster belt set at Kreske's in 1953 when I was 8. I was doomed.

• MsShockJock
    MsShockJock

I hear ya. It became a social thing. Getting through the meetings was what it was all about, which became more and more difficult as time went on.

Is that Kenny Rogers I'm talk to?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Several people have copied me. I understand Kenny Rogers is one. I started with country music and stayed with it.
    I once got invited to a party held by Witnesses who usually never invited me to anything. I walked in the door and they said, "Where's your guitar?". They insisted I go home and get it. I did and I soon saw why I was invited. I was the unpaid entertainment for the evening. It wasn't all bad, and I did enjoy playing, I just resented being set up and used. I finished the evening and never went to another of their parties.
    Being a Witness is like walking up hill carrying a back pack. When you start it's empty. Then somebody adds a rock, then another and another. When we can't carry the pack of rocks anymore we leave. Then we feel guilty that we couldn't carry more rocks. That party added a rock to my pack.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    If you want to hide something from a Jehovah's Witness, put it in the Watchtower magazine.

And then they look at you like you're nuts if you mention it to them a few weeks down the long, bumpy WT road.

• MsShockJock
    MsShockJock

lol. That's sound so typical of the witnoids. They are very good at using people. I felt like I was on everybodies invite list when it came to baby showers, bridal showers, anniversary parties, house warmings, anything that required bringing a gift, and a dish to pass. I rarely got invited to anything else.

After a while of having so many bricks packed on and none ever being removed you have to leave to preserve yourself or relieve yourself from the burden. I gave up everything when I became a witnesses, family, friends, the chance to marry and have children, and got absolutely nothing in return.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was raised by Witness parents. We lived in a make believe world of invisible good guys, invisible bad guys, new light by thought transference from ghosts to anonymous writers. Make believe was more important than the reality of school and study and friends and exercise. I'm flawed.
    One day I realized I was being shunned by people I don't like. I laughed. I been laughing ever since.

• blondie
    blondie

Why haven't many JWs caught on to the generation change.

1. Missed that meeting

2. Never read the material.

3. Lost the magazine

4. Too complicated to understand

5. Challenged their pet belief that you could calculate when the end would come

6. Never understood the original doctrine

7. Are at the KH for the socal part, doctrine shmoctrine.

8. Denial

9. Other

• thom
    thom

I was always irritated by people that would get a new book or get the Watchtowers early, sent to them from someone at Bethel. They'd walk around making sure everyone knew that they had information nobody else had yet. Saying things like "Don't miss the (whatever date) WT when YOU get it! It's got some new information. I've been studying it and wow, it's great!"
    Shutup.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit