Newbie in the house

by Stealth 29 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Stealth,

You certainly hit on a weak spot in JW teaching. The 607 date and everything built on it is simply fluff.

If you want the full story on why the Society is wrong on this issue, get hold of the book The Gentile Times Reconsidered by Carl Olof Jonsson. The Society has never refuted Jonsson's arguments. You can order the book from Commentary Press at: http://www.commentarypress.com/booklist-eng.html

While you're at it, I highly recommend purchasing the following books (you can look up descriptions on the appropriate websites):

The Sign of the Last Days: When? by Carl Jonsson
    Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz
    In Search of Christian Freedom by Raymond Franz
    Apocalypse Delayed: The Story of Jehovah's Witnesses by M. James Penton

These books are absolute musts for anyone wanting to understand why so many Watchtower doctrines and policies are based on nothing more than the dreams and guesses of old men.

If you're interested in a detailed look at the date change from 606 to 607, look at the article "The Evolution of 606 to 607 B.C.E. in Watchtower Chronology" and several related articles here: http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm

AlanF

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Stealth and Sleepy,

I'm a bit late coming in but please accept my warm words of welcome. I, too, am very pleased that you've made it thus far. I trust that you have an enlightening journey ahead of you.

AlanF has provided you with suggested reading material. Please try and obtain those books. I can recall when I was at your stage. It was the books that enabled me to clarify my thoughts. As far as I'm concerned they are a "must read".

Again welcome to this happy happening place.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"You can know the law by heart, without knowing the heart of it"
    Philip Yancey, What's So Amazing About Grace?

• Stealth
    Stealth

AlanF,

It is my understanding that Carl Olof Jonsson was a JW at the time that he sent a letter to the Society about his 606/607 research, and the Society did not even reply to him for years but only told him to keep his mouth shut about it. Is this true? If so, I think it shows how much good it does to write the society and they take it serious.

I have already picked up “In Search of Christian Freedom” at the university library. It is a very well written book and I find it hard to put down once I start reading it. I will check out some of the other resources that you mentioned.

After I was able to shed the apostate phobia and began my second round of 607 research this site:
    * http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm
    was one that proved very helpful and filled in many of the holes that I just could not get from the resources at the university library. I think I will order Carl's book today.

Stealth

• Angharad
    Angharad

Hi Stealth

Look forward to hearing from you

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Stealth & Sleepy - Welcome!

I, too did my research the old-fashinoned way - before the advent of the Internet, only most of it was while I was in the Bethel libraries. I was raised a Dub, & was also determined not to use "apostate" materials to find out the truth about 607. Like you, I couldn't find any credible support for that date. That was to be the first crack in the dam, so to speak. Couple that with the weirdness that is Bethel, and I was well on my way out. I left in 1993, and it was the single best decision of my life!

Again, a hearty welcome to the board - we all look forward to seeing more posts from the both of you. You'll like it here...

--Michael

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

Stealth & Sleepy

WELCOME!

(tee hee - I'm learning how to use the forum codes)

closer

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
    than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance - e.e. cummings

• think41self
    think41self

Ain't this place fun!!!!!

Tracy

think41self

"When agnostics die, do they go to the great perhaps"?

• Jackson
    Jackson

20 years ago I decided to do some research as well. Gone 19 years and have spent my time well instead of peddling WTS bull. Knowledge is indeed a powerful tool, a tool the WTS doesn't want the members to have if they can help it. Good for you.

Jackson. Of the Research Class.

• Kat_
    Kat_

A belated Welcome to Stealth and Sleepy from a fellow newbie! I was very hesitant to go to any XJW-related sites for a long time, for many reasons. But after I finally got up the courage to post, I immediately felt relief and happiness at the warm welcomes and support. And this bunch also has a killer sense of humor--a must in any situation!

Kat

• Francois
    Francois

Hello Stealth and Sleepy, I can tell we're going to get along fine and have a great time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit