Newbie in the house

by Stealth 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Stealth
    Stealth

I have been lurking for a few months now. The only reason that I have not posted until now is because of the paranoia that comes with being raised a JW. My current status in the congregation is irregular, reaching out for the office of inactive. I have much family in the org. and so the reason for the paranoia.

My doubts began during the study of the Daniel book. Around the same time my home schooled daughter was studying world history. One day I grabbed her school book to take into the private reading room and decided to read about the Neo-Babylon period. I noticed that it put the destruction of Jerusalem in 587/586 BCE. I checked two other world history books that were in the house and they gave the same date. Well I was curious as to why the Daniel book did not agree with these history books. I understood how the WTS came up with 607 and I just wanted to know exactly why and how the historians came up with another date.

I began my research by searching the web for “607BCE and Jerusalem”. Well you know where that took me. Being a loyal JW I was determined not to read any apostate info, so I went to a university library and checked out every book I could about the neo Babylon period. I told my family that I was just doing extra research for the book study, as it did prove helpful there also.

After several months of research I gained a better understanding of the secular dating methods for this time period. At this point I decided that all I needed to do was find one expert that would agree with the WTS 607 date and that would be enough to dismiss my doubts. This took me back to the WEB. Well needless to say I could have saved allot of time and effort months earlier before going to the library, but I guess I had to do it my own way to be convinced and get past the apostate stereotyping that was in

Well I could not find any bible scholar, historian, or expert of any kind that was in agreement with the 607 dating for the fall of Jerusalem.

So my journey brings me here. There are allot more bizarre chapters in my story that I will share at anther time.

I am glad that I have found this place. I can honestly say that I have learned more in the short time lurking here compared to decades at the kingdom hall.

Stealth

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Welcome Stealth. This is a good board for Witness discussion. Just don't violate the rules of political correctness and you will do fine.

• philo
    philo

A warm welcome, Stealth.

Did you know that the WT's 606 became 607 when they realised they had miscounted (due to the 'year zero'). The date that came first was 1914 ANYWAY, without that, there would have been no need for 607 at all. It's all epoch-making retrospective prophecying.

'n it turns me ON.

philo

• riz
    riz

A warm welcome to you, Stealth

I, too, was raised a JW and it took many months of lurking before I got up the courage to post. But once I did, I wondered what took me so long. There are so many wonderful folks here. I'm so glad you joined us! The more the merrier.

Also, I'm not df'd or da'd. I just walked out, never to return. I too have family within the org. It's hard, but at least now after months of 'deprogramming' I can sleep at night not feeling like god is going to kill me at armageddon.

Please stick around. I'd love to hear some more of your experiences when you feel up to posting them.

riz

• sleepy
    sleepy

hello ,I'm newish here too.
    First of all I'm still a witness and an MS trying to keep my cover.
    Even thought I've had doubts and disagrements about some points for several years like you it was when studying the Daniel book that reality struck home.
    In the past I had tended to think that errors I saw in the societies reasoning was due to their not being aware of the full facts .
    But eventually there were so many things that seemed wrong I just couldn't ignore it anylonger.
    This lead to me writing a letter to the society about why they kept changing the length of years in the gentile times prophecy.(first 1t's 360 days in a year then a day for a year , but this time its 365 days even though a year of that lenght dd not exist back then)
    Their reply showed me that they only believe in this prophecy in the way it is is because it leads to the date 1914.
    This is typical of the type of reasoning used by the society and witnesses in general, and can be applied to many more points.look up the flood for example in the insight book and see how the same method is used.
    I would be intrested in knowing if you have talked to any witnesses about what you have found and the responce they gave you.
    I told one of my more open minded friends about some of my doubts and got a 5 page letter warning me about apostacy.
    By the way I think you should write to the society about what you have found even though many have writen before , as the more they realise people carn't except their reasoning the harder it will be for them to hold their stance on the subject .
    Just don't tell them who you are as they will inform you elders which wont be of help to you.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

SALVE AMICUS!

NOSTRUM COMITATUM ESTIS LIBERO ET PRONTO!

• Maximus
    Maximus

You might get your vocative case ending wrong, but your message comes through loud and clear always, UR! I expect there will also be future flashes from the temple about a few doctrinal things--a play on your fulgor, but meantime they are reaping some very unpleasant fruitage. What's with this AlanF; thinks he's some deus ex machina or sumpin'? In his joust with Scotus shall we dub Alan Squatus*?

Stealth, a very warm welcome from me too.

Maximus
    Who takes his material seriously, but not himself

*L., shark; noun
    Bobby Darin in the background, singing Mack the Knife

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

I would imagine the last thing you would want to do is write to the Society to keep your cover. I would think that they just forward your letter to the local body of elders so the can "help" you and keep you in check.........

• gsark
    gsark

Stealth and Sleepy

Welcome to the board both of you, I am rather new to the board as well.

You will find, as I did, much friendship and support here, but also, as with any family, some people's bite is worse than their bark! 'Tis that way all over.

just make yourselves comfortable, and I hope to see you around.

Life is a roller coaster. Get in, sit down, shut up and hang on!

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Hi Stealth and welcome, also a big hello to sleepy!

That Daniel book, what a waste of perfectly good paper...

The last meeting I ever went to was a book study and we were doing the Daniel book, I sat there thinking - what on earth am I doing here, I dont believe this stuff. Went home that night and drafted out my disassociation letter. Sent the real thing off the same week, never looked back.

That Daniel book, what a waste of perfectly good paper... maybe not such a waste after all, finally gave me the kick up the backside that I needed to get out of there!

Anyway, greetings to you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit