Do you know who you are?

by LouBelle 21 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Being a chubbier woman most of my days - I've only known who I am in this body. I've now taken steps to reduce my size (I'm taking this seriously - I've decided to slim down & now "own" my number)

I've always been a confident person, regardless of being chubby. I've always laughed easily, I'm naturally happy (this is not a front as some may think)

I'm afraid of actually succeeding in this particular thing. I'm afraid of the unknown.

Will I be the same person? Will my personality change? Will slimming down alter me in other ways than just my body??? These questions have been whizzing around my head for a couple of days.

Has anyone experienced something similar (doesn't have to be with weight).

This may sound vain and come across in a way that I don't want it too - I love the person I am, I honestly think I"m a nice person & I don't want to lose that part of me....*sigh*

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

good for you loubelle,

you'll be healthier, and that's a good thing. just be sure to find out from a doctor what your natural healthy size should be. do not take advice from fashion magazines.

as per your personality, don't worry. these things do not change with weight gain or loss. you'll always be nice, if you're nice now (which i know you are) .

TS

• Ellie
    Ellie

I don't think you have anything to worry about, good luck with the slimming.

• daystar
    daystar

As the body changes, so does the mind. As the mind changes, so does the body.

I don't see how you could become a completely different person. But you will most likely notice some changes.

I was a tall and skinny kid. I'm 6 feet 2 inches and in my late teens I weighed all of 145 lbs. I was a rail. I got tired of it and worked out almost daily and increased my protein and carb intake and got up to a more decent 160 lbs. My personality did change. I was more confident, more flirty, and started to get in more trouble. I felt like I was more accepted by people.

I'm about the same weight now. If I were still rail-thin, I think I still would lack the self-confidence I have today.

• caty
    caty

Hi LouBelle. Hmm, that's a good question actually. I lost 50 pounds in the last year which brought me down to a normal weight. I don't know if it changed anything with me. It changes how shallow people view and treat you sometimes. The only thing I really realized was a increase in energy level. I do know some people that have lost weight and become incredibly arrogant. But they're usually of the anorexic 15 year old girl mentality.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Loubelle, I know just what you're saying.

A person can be comfortable with "where they are", be it weight, bad health, relationship good or bad or none, and fear to change can keep them "there".

There will be a difference when you loose weight. You will feel more empowered. You will get looks you may never have gotten before. It will likely boost your ego more. IF you gain weight back again, please don't let it ruin the new you! Also, When I lost a lot of weight, I developed a bad attitude toward those who were still fat..... "if I could do it, why don't THEY?!" But I was young then.

Kudos to you for recognizing that emotional changes can happen with physical change.

Hugs and love and luck!

Brenda

• prophecor
    prophecor

You will come to see yourself as different, Lou Belle, but if your careful, all that you'll really see is a person who you've not had a chance to know as yourself in a different light. Coming to know yourself in the form for which you are striving is going to be a uniquely wonderful coming out party. Though you have no problem maintaining who you are as you are, comfortable in your own skin, when you get to see how the world responds differently to you, regardless for what you may have felt for yourself, it will present you with a different face when you see yourself. The person you know as yourself will come to have a strange a wonderfully appeal to you. Celebrate, Lou Belle. Go Have an Affair..............With Yourself

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

You will feel better when it comes to your energy level. It's great! That alone can put you in a good mood.

• delilah
    delilah

I've been a fleshy kind of girl most of my life as well, not obese, just, well, fleshy....I lost 30lbs, when i was 21, and boy!!!! Did I feel awesome! But i did it for me, to make me happy, and to feel good healthwise. It didn't change who i was deep down. I've always been a caring, kind, do-anything-for-anybody type of person. I still am that same person, after 3 kids, and a bit of a weight gain. i like who i am, but am also trying to get the weight off, for health reasons, and to fit in some nice clothes that are in my closet. But, I'm a wife, and mom, and a new grandma as well, and I love my life....I love who I am. Just lose the weight for you, Loubelle....do it for the right reasons, set attainable goals, and don't get discouraged by a slip...(.if that chocolate bar looked too good to pass up.) Slow and steady wins the race. Be balanced in your diet as well.....good luck, you can do it....And I doubt very much that it will change the wonderful person you really are...

Delilah

• proplog2
    proplog2

Who am I? is only one of the questions that leads to self knowledge.

It is important to ask:

What am I?

How am I?

Where am I?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit