Is the preaching work, no longer the number 1 priority?

by ToesUp 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was talking to an old friend yesterday, a non-JW, but he knows nearly all of them in this area, one way and another, and he observed :

"Why do JW's keep coming round knocking on doors ? they are never going to make converts around here, doing the same thing for decades with no result, and yet expecting one, is the definition of "stupid" isn't it ?"

Guess what ?

Old Phizzy just had to agree with him.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku
    I was in about 10 years and I did not get a single person in.  So happy about that now.  I think that is one of the reasons the "Organization" is emphasizing keeping kids/born-ins inside (e.g. via cartoons and more and more pressure on parents, early baptism, etc.)  They are definitely putting more and more attention and energy on the "captive" audience already in the Kingdom Halls.  And, with the cart effort, they are definitely going for quantity over quality.
  • redvip2000
    redvip2000

I'm sure by now the GB has realized that preaching doesn't generate new converts; it never really did.  You can walk into any KH and ask how many of those in attendance became JWs because a complete stranger knocked on their door, and perhaps a handful will raise their hands.

They know that new converts come from within, so it's important to protect the flock from external influences

Preaching serves the purpose of keeping JWs busy and thinking they are special. Success is measured by the bottom line just like any other corporation.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11
    I'm so glad I was not a born in..I chose to go in...and, after 30 years, I chose to leave after certain dubious elders revealed their true colours....I feel sorry for those born in as they have been cultivated and nurtured to accept without choice ...institutionally programmed..most lacking the tenacity and courage to reject what they did not choose..and risk being shut out of family and lifelong associations...I hope that as time passes and with the drip drip of internet alarm bells...those wasted young lives will yet choose freeedom...
  • insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

I'm sure by now the GB has realized that preaching doesn't generate new converts; it never really did.

@redvip that is simply not true. Average anual population growth is now about 1%,.. during the sixties and during the last century it never was higher than about 2%

However the annual growth of JW's was much higher than the average population growth almost every single year. Bisides that many JW couples decide(d) not to take children because they place kingdom interests first or think that this system of things is not the right environment to raise children in,

In my congregations there are a lot of couples (pioneers en elders) that never got any children just because of that. So the birth rate among JW's is even less than the average birth rate in the world that surrounds them.

Conclusion: a lot of people came in through the preaching work. Even several members of the governing body are examples of that. take for example Gerrit Losch or Tony Morris III

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

insidetheKH:

"Average anual population growth is now about 1%,.. during the sixties and during the last century it never was higher than about 2%"

And why was there a 2% increase during the 1960s?

"In my congregations there are a lot of couples (pioneers en elders) that never got any children just because of that. So the birth rate among JW's is even less than the average birth rate in the world that surrounds them."

Have you heard of John and Eunice?

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

..in my own experience of the local congregation the ones who came in from outside were either old, loners, disabled, widows/widowers, or transitory, ie they'd come for a while then drift out, only to be replaced by fresh ones,...rather like a social club than a religious meeting.( In fact during my first year or so in I was swamped with meals out, cinema outings, etc etc almost as if to help me avoid any genuine ' smelling of the coffee'....)

.to back this up when I first went, in 1983 , the congregation numbered about 90, after approx 10 years it was decided to form another congregation, (probably to allow born in teenagers the opportunity to gain 'privileges'/reach out ) so both had approx 55,  when I left 3 years ago each cong numbered about 75, so total of 150 from original joint of 90....hardly massive growth, even allowing for comings and goings..

There always seemed to be babies or babies on the way, as soon as a young couple married "in the lord" within a year or so they'd be reproducing...very few if any normal, run of the mill, mr and mrs smith, average ,worldly couples/single ever came in,...

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

And why was there a 2% increase during the 1960s?

@Village you mean the average growth of the world population? because of the baby boom. economic growth, a fast growing middle class, food for everyone. baby booms signify good times and periods of general economic growth and stability

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

It seems like the WTS' focus is on recruitment rather than preaching or converting.

Actual 'conversion will take place inside those walls of those fancy dancy Kingdom Halls being built.

The term 'publisher' should actually be changed to 'recruiter'.

• sir82
    sir82

Conclusion: a lot of people came in through the preaching work.

Yes - past tense.

Since the mid-90's, the preaching work is increasingly inefficient and ineffective.

Just note the exploding ratio of [hours preached : new baptisms] per year. Compare that ratio for the past service year to any time 1995 or earlier.

Anecdotally, in my congregation, over the past 10 years, there has been a grand total of 2 people encountered in "field ministry" who have become baptized. That is pretty typical for the circuit as well.

Don't kid yourself - the GB analyzes the numbers (well, they ain't exactly sharp - they get their minions to do it for them) and sees that "door to door" is ever more an utter waste of time.

Hence trolley witnessing, near-monthly WT articles on "it is completely irrelevant if your ministry produces no results" (including the one coming up this Sunday!), and emphasis on new "gadgets" like TV broadcasting, LDCs, etc. etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit