Do you have a 'canned' presentation for when you run into dubs?

by willyloman 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I pulled a canned one last weekend.

I can't go into it as it would be a dead giveaway to those unwelcome visitors that may know me.

It was just a story about a part of my life that started with her asking "How do you feel about JWs?", me going through my experiences starting with 1967/8 and ending with, " ...and I'm alive"

"Well, it's a good lifestyle and we enjoy it!", she replied.

I turned my attention to the guy across the table.

• Nellie
    Nellie

I remember running into an inactive witness about 20 years ago (I was still active then) and saying to him, "I haven't seen you in a while." He looked at me and said, "That's because I haven't been anywhere for you to see me!" I was so taken back because his comment seemed so harsh - i was geniunely surprised by his response.

Now, I'm the one who hasn't been seen in a while... and when I run into them, I smile - and greet them. No one has put me in the position to have to answer any questions. If it comes up, I plan on politely saying "I'm not attending anymore."

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

(1) Tell me about 1914

(2) Who's the King of the North nowdays?

• Terry
    Terry

Working, as I do, in a bookstore and being in charge of the Religion and Philosophy section I run into all sorts of people.

The odd thing about JW's is they don't buy religious books. When they are in a bookstore they visit the part of the Religion shelf that might contain one of the Society's publications. They pick it up and look at it.

This is passing strange to me. It's not like they haven't seen it before.

However, I've been able to completely remove all Watchtower Publications from our store. This is a legitimate move on my part. Our policy is to put books out at half the original retail price. The Watchtower Society HAS NO original retail price. So, into the dumpster they go! (Evil apostate laugh: hahahahahahahahah.)

Whenever I have bumped into old friends (brothers and sisters) whom I knew at the Kingdom Hall they've always invited me to come back "before it is too late and Armageddon comes."

My reply is usually this:

"You know, I bumped into Brother Coulter about 17 years ago and he said the same thing to me as you just did. Armageddon is very near, he told me. How is Brother Coulter, by the way?" (with a big smile this does the trick)

In the last 20 years I've only had JW's come to the door ONE TIME! I walked outside and sat on one of the chairs on the front porch and invited the two sisters to do the same thing. I listened to their very plastic presentation and looked at the Watchtower.

"You know, girls, I can remember reading this magazine when Jesus was drawn WITHOUT A BEARD. Have you ever seen those old Watchtowers with the beardless Jesus?" (Big eyed and shaking their heads left to right; huge skepticism on their expressions.)

"And in the mid 70's lots of JWs were saying something about the world coming to an end. Did it?"

(This sends them packing.)

T.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Good suggestions, everyone, thanks. Anybody else had a "run in" with a dub you used to know?

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Have any of you prepared for such a run-in by being ready in advance, knowing what you'd say in a given circumstance?"

You mean like 'Get the f*** off my porch'?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit