DID YOU KNOW THIS about the BIBLE?

by Terry 79 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

the bible? I like Andy Partridges take:

Dear god, hope you get the letter and...
    I pray you can make it better down here
    I don't mean a big reduction in the price of beer
    But all the people that you made in your image
    See them starving in the street
    'Cause they don't get enough to eat from god
    I can't believe in you

Dear god, sorry to disturb you but...
    I feel that I should be heard loud and clear
    We all need a big reduction in amount of tears
    And all the people that you made in your image
    See them fighting in the street
    'Cause they can't make opinions meet about god
    I can't believe in you

Did you make disease and the diamond blue?
    Did you make mankind after we made you?
    And the devil too!

Dear god don't know if you noticed but...
    Your name is on a lot of quotes in this book
    And us crazy humans wrote it, you should take a look
    still believing that junk is true
    Well I know it ain't, and so do you
    Dear god
    I can't believe in
    I don't believe

I won't believe in heaven or hell
    No saints, no sinners, no devil as well
    No pearly gates, no thorny crown
    You're always letting us humans down
    The wars you bring, the babes you drown
    Those lost at sea and never found
    And it's the same the whole world 'round
    The hurt I see helps to compound
    That father, son and holy ghost
    Is just somebody's unholy hoax
    And if you're up there you'll perceive
    That my heart's here upon my sleeve
    If there's one thing I don't believe in

It's you
    Dear god

'nuff said.....

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    the bible? I like Andy Partridges take:

Dear god, hope you get the letter and...

I pray you can make it better down here

I don't mean a big reduction in the price of beer

But all the people that you made in your image

See them starving in the street

'Cause they don't get enough to eat from god

I can't believe in you

Dear god, sorry to disturb you but...

I feel that I should be heard loud and clear

We all need a big reduction in amount of tears

See them fighting in the street

'Cause they can't make opinions meet about god

I can't believe in you

Did you make disease and the diamond blue?

Did you make mankind after we made you?

And the devil too!

Dear god don't know if you noticed but...

Your name is on a lot of quotes in this book

And us crazy humans wrote it, you should take a look

still believing that junk is true

Well I know it ain't, and so do you

Dear god

I can't believe in

I don't believe

I won't believe in heaven or hell

No saints, no sinners, no devil as well

No pearly gates, no thorny crown

You're always letting us humans down

The wars you bring, the babes you drown

Those lost at sea and never found

And it's the same the whole world 'round

The hurt I see helps to compound

That father, son and holy ghost

Is just somebody's unholy hoax

And if you're up there you'll perceive

That my heart's here upon my sleeve

If there's one thing I don't believe in

It's you

Dear god

amen

• seven006
    seven006

Terry,

Within time, you will sit back one day and realize that you spend a lot of time and energy discussing a subject that you could actually care less about. This is because you realize it’s all based on a myth and it simply pays the bills of those who use it to try and control other’s minds and brace up their own frail insecurities. It’s as fulfilling as Treckies discussing the finer points of the Klingon vocabulary and just as important to life here on earth.

Those who need to believe it all, will. Those who know better, won’t. Those who swear to it with all their hearts and minds and go beyond just needing it to make their lives seem a little happier crash into tall buildings because of it.

I gave up writing about this crap a long time ago, I just don’t care anymore. I’m glad you still have the interest. As I said before, better you than me.

May the farce be with you.

Take care,

Dave

• myelaine
    myelaine

mjarka911,

I didn't mean to imply that everyone here is searching for "God" answers....clearly that is not the case... some are here to get answers to how a family friend or relative could be so blind as to follow the WBTS or other cults. Others just want to talk about experiences...that doesn't exclude the desire for answers to why.

michelle

• myelaine
    myelaine

Dear Terry,

you said: The life I have is an ACTUAL.

ditto, and the only thing I sacrifice talking to people is a little sleep now and then. In the past, not talking about the Lord has actually caused me many sleepless nights. The past was not good, right now is better for me, in my ACTUAL life.

love michelle

p.s. since I first read your story, I've had a special burden on my heart concerning you...sorry if this bothers you.. I look forward to meeting you some day that's all.

• Terry
    Terry
    I gave up writing about this crap a long time ago, I just don’t care anymore. I’m glad you still have the interest. As I said before, better you than me.

Well, right you are old chum. Right you are.

I've given up writing about this crap too. Many times.

I went away from JWD for about four or five months a while back.

You know what brought me back and what keeps me here?

I get letters.

People read my writings on Randy Watter's FREEMINDS site and on Danny Haszard's site too and they write letters.

These are heart-rending letters.

The bottom line to what they say is this. They say what I write HELPED THEM. This is incredible to me. It makes everything come in to focus.

It gives me a windmill to tilt at: the Watchtower Society and enslavement of wonderful people victimized by conmen disguised as human beings in love with God.

Day after day I reach down deep inside and find there is still something to say. Once and a while I have something to write that will end up posted on Freeminds or in a News blurb put out by Danny that somebody might see who is on the brink of escaping from the Watchtower shackles.

I have no illusions about myself. I'm as full of crap as the next person. I can't seem to be brief and I turn every sentence purple with loaded adjectives. But, something in what I say reaches certain people. It makes enough difference to them that they take the trouble to write me and tell me so.

Oh, the book it would make were it not deeply private and personal.

So, I'll hang around for a bit. I'll see if the fire dies down inside of me. When it does; I'm gone.

T.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    as comfortable as I might be with Jesus as my Saviour, there is the certain... awfulness, knowing he will be rejected and caring that it might be someone that I could have helped. That's why I keep talking I guess, wouldn't want anyone to get hurt..(not bragging here, I know I'm a horrible preacher. A hand full of critics does not make a congregation!) ..but, I tell the truth in love.... God knows that. I'll just say, it is not a chore to love people and tell them about the ONE that I love! (probably like you without the God part?)God has not cramped my style. But I have to admit that, when I felt commissioned to "speak" in some way, I thought it would be easier than it is.

There was a circuit overseer that said finding the "Truth" is like finding the world's greatest washing detergent. Once you find it, you want to share it. You see people with dirty clothes and stains, just like you used to have, and your compasionate human nature moves you to want to share what you've found. I remember feeling that way, and to a much lesser extent I still feel it. But the difference now is that I don't feel any god-given obligation to share my new non-faith, nor do I think people are going to be forever damned if they don't come around to my way of thinking.

I hate to read that your faith causes you sleepless nights, concerned about those that don't embrace it. I hope you can come to terms with it, keeping all the joy and happiness it brings you without stressing over others that reject it. But maybe they are inextricably linked. I just don't know.

All the best,

Dave

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Boy, I go away for 2 days and come back to some great posts, on all sides.

Whatever anyone says about the Bible, the vast (silent) majority of Christians don't believe it is verbally inspired, or dictated, written or spoken by God.

I'm not keen to write pages to challenge every claim or counter claim, but my observation is that many posters (both sides) already have a view, then look for evidence to support it. I can honestly say I am open to all the evidence and will continue to research.

From what I've learned so far, there appears a major hurdle for those who say the Bible has been altered to support catholic or any other doctrine...if that were so, then why does it not clearly support trinity and other catholic teaching. This goes for any religious doctrine. Whoever messed with it, they did a poor job as it fails to support the arguments of ANY religion. The 5 words fraudulently inserted to support the trinity, in the 16th century were later recognised by Erasmus and removed.

Good thread Terry! You should have the last word.............

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    There was a circuit overseer that said finding the "Truth" is like finding the world's greatest washing detergent.

That's not a bad analogy, when you consider all the advertisements for "New improved Daz" which gets out stains that even old Daz had trouble with. Of course, a few years ago, old Daz was the "New improved Daz" of its day, and was the best thing since, well, old old Daz. A bit like the Watchtower's new light, no? "Current truth" is always whiter than white, way better than the "old light" which just seemed to be whiter than white at the time.

• myelaine
    myelaine

There was a circuit overseer that said finding the "Truth" is like finding the world's greatest washing detergent.

This is so shallow....it's almost physically painful.

Why can't people see through this statement and find the "truth" about the speaker's source.
    This screams "We'll clean the outside, we're clueless and couldn't care less about the inside"

The WBTS is standing in between humble, trusting people and their longing to be in fellowship with God. Cruelty that pierces the heart.

michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit