DID YOU KNOW THIS about the BIBLE?

by Terry 79 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> After researching the history of the bible for the past five years, I have come to the same conclusion as yourself .

Looking too awfully closely at any religion you intend to stay faithful to isn't a great idea. I haven't done extensive research into any religions, but it only takes a little thought and little logical this-follows-that reasoning to shoot them all down. Like Cyg said, whether the Bible was a pristine copy of the originals or not, it's as full of logical holes as any other spiritual creed.

I don't consider myself a "sinner". I don't follow the Bible's creed or any other creed. I do what makes sense under the circumstances. Sometimes what makes sense to me at the time isn't really the best course and I suffer for it. But to suffer for my own decisions is ok. I remember dutifully going to the meetings when I knew I should be doing something else. I felt bad about the thing I was neglecting, but I had a "higher" duty. What a great feeling now to be able to make those calls myself without some unseen force standing over my shoulder, ready to condemn me.

Screw that.

Dave

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Terry,

Very interesting post, thanks for taking the time to let us have your thoughts and obviously the results of your research.

It's good to see some "meaty" stuff to read and appreciated others comments too.

I have often wondered about the books that never made it into the Bible.

Twinkletoes

• myelaine
    myelaine

Dear Terry,

you said: I'm not attracted to this chaos no matter how pretty a ribbon is tied on top of it.

But my dear, you are....you must admit that you are here on this forum because you want answers! We all do. We are all waiting for the BIG answer. One must have an "inhuman" thought pattern to escape the big WHAT IF THERE IS A GOD! So get real ! By the way the ribbon is not "pretty" men condemned innocent man to death in the eyes of the crucifixion "crowd". You condemn the "theology" behind the act of the Cross. So, where would you stand in that "crowd"?

In Jer 17:12-13 we are told about...A glorious high throne from the beginning is the place of our sanctuary. O LORD, the hope of Israel, all who forsake You shall be ashamed.

Now, if you had part of your life crushed by the WBTS and then spent I don't know how many years denouncing it and then God and His PLAN, and who's to say how much longer you will stay here and then maybe just be a "lurker", if, if, if, after giving up this much of your life to the "theology" of God, as a child before a heavenly Father, what would you have to be ashamed of? All of this time out of YOUR life, just to forsake Him? It's YOUR call, of course!

love michelle edited to add: I know that" inhuman" is too harsh a word.

• Gill
    Gill

I love this thread Terry! It's funny but the fact that the bible is a catholic book is something I have been considering for the last week or so and also that non of it can be verified as fact. All the old Testament is, is Jewish propaganda,'we are God's chosen people.' Yes, well I've heard that crap enough from the JWs, the Muslims and god knows how many crack pot religions. I have come to the conclusion that they are all thought control cults in one way or the other and now I feel free to say 'go away' to all of them.

It's good to be free. And if there is a God that is going to make 'it all all right' one day, then that's just a wonderful bonus, otherwise, live wisely for today may be your last day to show the ones you love, how much you love them.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    We are all waiting for the BIG answer. One must have an "inhuman" thought pattern to escape the big WHAT IF THERE IS A GOD!

Hmmmm.... I guess I fall in the inhuman category, because I have entirely dismissed an interested god as a possibility. If I'm to be surprised at some point (Doh! Forgot to carry the 2!) then so be it. But I am by no means waiting for it, any more than you see yourself as "waiting" to find out if there's really a bigfoot or UFO's.

I don't mind religion so long as it doesn't control a person, doesn't cramp and squeeze the person and strip away their individuality. Like Terry, I believe this life is what you get. If you spend it knocking on doors and going to meetings or you spend it playing with your kids and building model airplanes, either way you'll eventually die, turn to dust, and that will be that. I don't know to what extent your religion controls your life, but I'll bet it isn't much. It makes you feel good to be in harmony with Jesus, you make decisions that you feel good about and you don't deny yourself much that you would choose to have without the religion. If that's all the case, then more power to you.

Dave

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

nice one Terry.

i vote for Terry to get his own spot in the "Best of" section.

TS

• myelaine
    myelaine

Dear AlmostAthiest,

you said; I don't know to what extent your religion controls your life, but I'll bet it isn't much. It makes you feel good to be in harmony with Jesus, you make decisions that you feel good about and you don't deny yourself much that you would choose to have without the religion.

kind of...but, as comfortable as I might be with Jesus as my Saviour, there is the certain... awfulness, knowing he will be rejected and caring that it might be someone that I could have helped. That's why I keep talking I guess, wouldn't want anyone to get hurt..(not bragging here, I know I'm a horrible preacher. A hand full of critics does not make a congregation!) ..but, I tell the truth in love.... God knows that. I'll just say, it is not a chore to love people and tell them about the ONE that I love! (probably like you without the God part?)God has not cramped my style. But I have to admit that, when I felt commissioned to "speak" in some way, I thought it would be easier than it is. Seems there's a bunch of ignorant heathen sluts out there... lol

michelle

well sometimes my mouth gets me in trouble, that last sentance was supposed to be funny, but I never know who will read it and take offense, there's where my style is cramped. in person, you would KNOW it was a "recent" joke.

• Terry
    Terry

I have often wondered about the books that never made it into the Bible. ;

Twinkletoes

Thousands of them!

T.

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

michelle - I can't speak for terry; but you can't assume people are here because they are searching for the answer to the human condition. I want nothing to do with your god, but I still have many friends and family stuck in this cult who are willing to sacrafice common sense for their version of God.

• Terry
    Terry
    Dear Terry,

you said: I'm not attracted to this chaos no matter how pretty a ribbon is tied on top of it.

But my dear, you are....you must admit that you are here on this forum because you want answers! We all do. We are all waiting for the BIG answer. One must have an "inhuman" thought pattern to escape the big WHAT IF THERE IS A GOD!

The life I have is an ACTUAL.

All the "What ifs" are a POTENTIAL.

I cannot in good conscience sacrifice an actual to a potential.

If pigs had wings they'd fly. Should I invest in in a new fast food franchise..just..in case they do?

T.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit