Isn't It Time That The Americans Learned How To Enjoy Cricket?

by Englishman 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

You guys don't know what you're missing.

Now, take the present Ashes competition. England and Australia square up to one another with a series of the best of 5 Test Matches.

Each Test Match lasts from around 3 - 5 days, depending on how quickly the sides knock each other out. Twice!

Each of those days starts of at around 10.30 in the morning. They stop for lunch around 1pm, then stop again for a tea of, well, tea and cucumber sandwiches at around 3.30. Then they carry on until around 6 pm.

So, all in all, an Ashes competition can last for several weeks.

Aahh..weeks and weeks of leisurely cricket, superbly televised. No wonder I'm not getting much done.

You guys just don't know what you're missing.

Englishman.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    You guys just don't know what you're missing.

Don't listen to him - he's deranged!

• undercover
  • sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    tea and cucumber sandwiches at around 3.30.

If you said beer and a foot long I'd be a believer.

Seriously, it's hard for us to get into European sports because they're not often shown on US television...unless you're a real sports nut and have 50 sports channels on Dish Network. They're most often shown when there's a rain delay or a game ends too soon and they have nothing else to put on. I have caught a few soccer matches but didn't really understand what was going on.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I've never seen a cricket match. I love Baseball (except for the damn Yankees) and I would be very curious to see a cricket match. It is the Grandfather of Baseball after all.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Would they not be tempted to change the rules to make it more palatable for US TV?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Englishman,

They haven't graduated from rounders yet!

steve

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

You don't want to know what you are missing. I would rather eat broken glass. Boring IMO.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

They'd make it 5 balls an over and standardise the size of the pitch.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

kerry packer livened it up and that was no bad thing

maybe the yanks could do the same

except it doesnt need much livening up..its been pretty breathtaking stuff all summer so far

mind you my puter is upstairs and my tv downstairs and i run up to post whenever an ozzie wicket falls so i'm really getting a lot of exercise

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit