what songs do you want played at your funeral?

by candidlynuts 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

"Babe, I'm Going to Leave You" by Led Zeppelin

"Clocks" by Coldplay

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Kingdom Hall - Van Morrison (for my dear sweet mother)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When my mother was dying, we made tapes with all kinds of her favorite songs to play for the visitation and funeral. Some were classical songs she played all the time on piano. One was Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel. We thought she was so cool back in the 60s because she loved Simon & Garfunkel and The Beatles. Anyway, as she lay near death, in a semi coma, we played those tapes for her the last few days of her life.

Acadian, Led Zeppelin did so many beautiful songs. Dazed and Confused at a funeral would surely wake some people, maybe even the dead, ey?

Here's my choice for Led Zeppelin song for my funeral. Check out the lyrics:

Ramble On

Leaves are falling all around,
    It’s time I was on my way.
    Thanks to you, I’m much obliged
    For such a pleasant stay.

But now it’s time for me to go,
    The autumn moon lights my way.
    For now I smell the rain,
    And with it pain,
    And it’s headed my way.
    Ah, sometimes I grow so tired,
    But I know I’ve got one thing I got to do,

Ramble on,
    And now’s the time, the time is now
    To sing my song.
    I’m goin’ ’round the world,
    I got to find my girl, on my way.
    I’ve been this way ten years to the day, ramble on,
    Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.

Got no time to for spreadin’ roots,
    The time has come to be gone.
    And tho’ our health we drank a thousand times,
    It’s time to ramble on.

Ramble on,
    To sing my song.

I ain’t tellin’ no lie.

Mine’s a tale that can’t be told,
    My freedom I hold dear;
    How years ago in days of old
    When magic filled the air,
    T’was in the darkest depths of mordor
    I met a girl so fair,
    But gollum, and the evil one crept up
    And slipped away with her.
    Her, her....yea.
    Ain’t nothing I can do, no.

Ramble on,
    To sing my song.

Gonna ramble on, sing my song
    Gotta keep-a-searchin’ for my baby...
    Gonna work my way, round the world
    I can’t stop this feelin’ in my heart
    Gotta keep searchin’ for my baby
    I can’t find my bluebird!
    I’d listen to my bluebird sing but I can’t find my blue bird
    A-keep-a ramblin’ baby...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oh yeah, and before they play Ramble On, I want them to hand out sheets of the lyrics to everyone and for someone to tell them I requested they sing along.

Isn't that amusing to think about?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I want to have a wake so that I don't have to worry about any of my JW relatives trying to attend.

At the wake I want Dixieland music playing while everyone enjoys each others company with a buffet and balloons.

I also specifically want Down by the Riverside to be played while I'm being lowered into the ground.

(No I'm not drunk, I'm serious! )

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    At the wake I want Dixieland music playing while everyone enjoys each others company with a buffet and balloons.

Very cool, Else. Can we please have some margeritas or some other frozen concoction, too? Oh yes, we need some serpentine to throw as well.

I love dixieland jazz. I have been ever since I saw Louis Armstrong play Hello Dolly in a mardi gras parade in my hometown Mobile. That was way on back in the early 60s. When I was 11 I had a tap dance solo to I'm A Little Jazz Bird...Dixieland again. How fitting.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Flyin

as she lay near death, in a semi coma, we played those tapes for her the last few days of her life.

How cool. You and your sibs blessed your mother's going. Heh, maybe they are singing the beatles and led zep in heaven now.

S

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    How cool. You and your sibs blessed your mother's going.

Yes, it was sad, but we didn't want her to be alone and frightened. She was scared, we could tell. We also manicured her fingernails and hands for her, painted her nails a pretty pale, warm pink. I held her in my arms as she left this world. I miss her. Never was Bridge Over Troubled Water so profound as it was when we played it for her during that vigil. I felt we were living the song. Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records and Online Memorials You can see the memorial I made for her on line. If that link doesn't work, try this one:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10903278

I need to write a better memorial for her. Be sure to click on the link to see all the pictures and the captions. Edited to add: if you want to see the captions, you have to click on each individual picture. I'm in some of them. You can even leave her flowers and a message. While you're at it, try the link to see my oldest brother's memorial I made for him last summer. For him, you can play one of his favorite songs, the midi of it anyway.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Interesting pictures. You were cute, even as a little girl. The clothes styles remind me of some of my old wt pics in the seventies.

S

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Dan Fogelberg's "Ever On" & Jackson Browne's "For a Dancer"

And "Be Not Afraid", for a little bit of liturgical flair...

Though I always joke to my husband that I want him to play the theme to the Muppet Show right before the memorial service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit