Alone...how I'm doing so far

by wanderlustguy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Man, I didn’t realize how hard this alone thing is. It’s not that I have to be or have nowhere to go, but since making a goal of staying alone (i.e. no serious exclusive relationships) for at least a year, it’s been a PITA. Most days are pretty good, but some aren’t I have notices a few things that make it harder…they are

Alcohol – bad bad bad bad, especially alone. Can’t do it. Depression sets in really quickly and its woe is me.

The aftershock from social activity – I love people, and about once per weekend end up hangin out with people I could call friends, but it’s usually guys since I cut off all of my female friends for the sake of my last serious relationship. I’m making new ones…but I don’t go out enough in real life to fix that here, plus I’m trying to stay isolated until I’m comfortable alone. Too risky taking the chance of meeting someone I like to be around exclusively. But afterwards I feel like something is missing…and it brings on desperation.

Fatigue – If I don’t get enough sleep, I think it may be chemical but depression sets in along with a fear of being alone forever…have to remind myself…it’s going to be ok.

Finances – when my finances are low, usually when I just paid a ton of bills and I see what’s left I feel desperate and angry because I feel there has not been enough progress…and inevitably it rolls back to how in the hell will I one day get someone interested in forever after if I’m not financially stable.

Memories – seeing something or someone or going to a place that has memories of being there with someone else triggers all kinds of stuff. Lately I’ve been making myself go to those places anyway to face the fear, it helps…but again there are good days and bad days.

What helps…the best things are…

Exercise – great for taking out angst…plus to be honest it feels good to see the other people that are so much worse off than me. Sad, but it’s the truth.

Going out - I love going out with guys, or just sitting at a bar sometimes because if these are the people I’m competing against one day on the dating scene…I’ll have my pick when the time is right.

Talking on the phone to friends – nothing else has this big of a positive impact, I owe them a lot.

Making myself remember why – remembering being lied to and controlled and mentally abused. This makes me angry and reminds me that no way in hell am I going to let someone else take advantage of me like that again, and also reminds me why I am doing this.

Going going going – making plans to meet people I never met, go places I’ve never been, and do things totally new to me. Every one of them feel like a victory once fulfilled.

Girlfriends – not sex partners…friends. I feel ten times more comfortable around women friends than men friends. Probably because of how I was raised, but it’s true. Not to mention they have a mental depth that 99% of the male population is afraid to address in themselves, so I prefer not to waste my time with trying to have intelligent conversation. Guy friends are for bowling or drinking beer or doing something involving metal.

Ok, enough of this…time to go rent a movie!

WLG

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

THAT is what I am talkin' 'bout wander. Keep it up!

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

hey, I can relate, Ive been single for a year and a half, but even though it really sucked at first, Im not just getting used to it but I kind of like it. It has given me a chance to get to know myself better.

How long have you been in this situation?

-April

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

wow....wlg...now think about doing all that with no friends family to do anything with not even talk...for the best part of 18 months...and self-employed so no interaction there either...and i didnt fall back on drink drugs etc

and i still made it through

and so can you

one day at a time buddie

one day at a time

• talesin
    talesin

WLG,

This all sounds completely normal ... keep on that path,,, take your time. It's not supposed to be easy, but you are doing fine. The extreme time is over, and now the drudgery has set in,,, but it is a natural progression ... things will look up before too long. Just don't let alcohol make you stupid, and you will be okay (speaking from experience here, it's hard and boring, but it will get better, hun, I promise!) Remember, you always have , and your friends are there for you. It's okay to feel down, and let yourself feel bad for a bit, that's the only way to work through it. Just take care that you don't drown in it, and let your friends know when it's too much, kay?

xo

tal

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...big hug....love, mumsy

• ballistic
    ballistic

I've been single 12 years excluding a couple of short relationships and the odd indescretion, and believe me I've been looking for a good girl the whole time.

• thom
    thom

WLG, I'm glad you're finding some ways to move forward. Sounds like you're thinking pretty clearly, which is great.
    Excercise is a good thing mentally, so is getting out now and then. You sound like someone easy to get along with so hopefully you'll pick up a friend here and there and have more people to chat with on the phone or go out and do stuff with. Sounds like you're going to do fine.
    ---"Making myself remember why – remembering being lied to and controlled and mentally abused. This makes me angry and reminds me that no way in hell am I going to let someone else take advantage of me like that again, and also reminds me why I am doing this."---
    That's good that you're remembering the past, but not dwelling on it. Live your life for the future and be careful to not live in the past. So much that will be coming along in your life and so many good times coming in the future, I know from experience. I'm fortunate to have my daughter so I'm not alone, but raising a child is a little different than having a partner. Being self employed doesn't help but many of the things you mentioned are things that I do also, and it works out well. I'm at the point where I appreciate the privacy I have and the ability to do what I want when I want. Life really starts looking up after a while. It will.

• devinsmom
    devinsmom
    WLG, I'm glad you're finding some ways to move forward. Sounds like you're thinking pretty clearly, which is great.

Excercise is a good thing mentally, so is getting out now and then. You sound like someone easy to get along with so hopefully you'll pick up a friend here and there and have more people to chat with on the phone or go out and do stuff with. Sounds like you're going to do fine.

---"Making myself remember why – remembering being lied to and controlled and mentally abused. This makes me angry and reminds me that no way in hell am I going to let someone else take advantage of me like that again, and also reminds me why I am doing this."---

That's good that you're remembering the past, but not dwelling on it. Live your life for the future and be careful to not live in the past. So much that will be coming along in your life and so many good times coming in the future, I know from experience. I'm fortunate to have my daughter so I'm not alone, but raising a child is a little different than having a partner. Being self employed doesn't help but many of the things you mentioned are things that I do also, and it works out well. I'm at the point where I appreciate the privacy I have and the ability to do what I want when I want. Life really starts looking up after a while. It will.

DITTO!!! -April

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

whoa You said this

a fear of being alone forever

Huh Read that again

forever!!!

It isn't forever. It's for now.

When you think in terms of forever you will wind up sabotaging yourself. Take it slow and easy. As one person above said "one day at a time"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit