Had to Share

by Sparkplug 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

A week and a few days ago, we had a big event for the charity I work on. With just 40 percent of our building working on it, we managed to raise 20 thousand dollars worth of money and supplies for a free clinic here in Texas.

It is to air on TV maybe this next Monday. Channel 8. Spirit of Texas show. Also Channel 11, 23 and 33. We also had a small writeup in The Dallas Morning news.

The people were so excited. I just had to share because I am pretty proud to be a part of this.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Why did these post like this? I cannot even get back to the edit button to fix this. anyhow, I was just trying to show you all how the Charity that I work with raised 20 thousand dollars worth of cash and supplies for a local cchildrens non profit clinic. This happened a week and some back. It took us two weeks and got a lot of media coverage. I am pretty proud.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Oh Wow! Unfortunately the pictures are being spztic and covering the screen on your post so I can't read it but it looks awesome! Goodonya for being such a great part of a good thing.

Hugs

Bren

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

duplicate

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

thanks Brenda.

How do I fix that?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I have no idea! Sorry Sparky.

But I'm proud of your work.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Brenda- Darn.

Thanks again. It was a lot of fun and a lot of hard work. I really wish I could do straight charity work all the time. Starting here at home and working all over. But for now this is good. I have my own kiddos to feed.

I think it was so big because maybe most of us have been there and had to go to one of the free clinics once or twice before. I know I did years back. We invited the head of the clinic to come by to negotiate a project to do something small for them. When they showed up there were representatives from 3 tv channels and the paper. all that stuff and money too. Then when all died down I had to go unload the truck with a few workmates. just 5 of us and some clinic personel. IT WAS SO VERY HOT IN TEXAS THAT DAY!

that was not as fun as presenting it, but when they gave little kids at the clinic those huge boxes of cereal...Seeing the faces of the kids made it all worth it.

• talesin
    talesin

It's Freaky Friday!!!

Wow, Sparky, what a great thing to be a part of, and you are rightly proud. If everyone had the spirit of volunteerism, and gave just a tiny bit of themselves, it would be a much better world.

It's also true that if we volunteer from the heart, in the spirit of true altruism, we end up getting benefits as well. The joy of giving (and I don't mean things) is highly underrated. When we are having a rough time, and stretched emotionally/financially, nothing does more to lift the spirits than volunteering. At least, that has been my experience.

Thank you so much for posting this thread. It's important to focus on the good in the world, especially during these times, when there is far too much talk of trauma and hatred. Negativity and fear feeds on itself and grows, but so does empathy and love grow when we share it with others.

xo

tal

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    It's important to focus on the good in the world, especially during these times, when there is far too much talk of trauma and hatred. Negativity and fear feeds on itself and grows, but so does empathy and love grow when we share it with others.

Now that is exactly what I was thinking when I posted it. You are right on time with your comments. Thanks.

Also for those that cannot read the intro, (because I cannot get the pictures to move. The pic is over the edit button)..........I was able to copy it.

see below and sorry for the redundancy. I work with some pretty cool people. things like this make me like them a bit more.

A week and a few days ago, we had a big event for the charity I work on. With just 40 percent of our building working on it, we managed to raise 20 thousand dollars worth of money and supplies for a free clinic here in Texas.

It is to air on TV maybe this next Monday. Channel 8. Spirit of Texas show. Also Channel 11, 23 and 33. We also had a small writeup in The Dallas Morning news.

The people were so excited. I just had to share because I am pretty proud to be a part of this.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Sparky,

This is sooo cool! I'm with you...if I could afford to volunteer full-time, I'd do it. One of my favorites is Ronald McDonald House. Maybe sometime we could organize something from this board for the local RMH? Just thinking out loud here...

It's also true that if we volunteer from the heart, in the spirit of true altruism, we end up getting benefits as well. The joy of giving (and I don't mean things) is highly underrated. When we are having a rough time, and stretched emotionally/financially, nothing does more to lift the spirits than volunteering. At least, that has been my experience.

So true! Giving without expectation of return is one of the most freeing things I experienced after my exit from the cult. As a JW, you never really learn to give without expectation of return. If there isn't a return, you just don't do it. Sad really when you think of it.

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit