Comments You Will Not Hear at the 8-14-05 WT Study (Witnesses of Jesus?)

by blondie 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Comments You Will Not Hear at the August 14, 2005 WT Study (July 1, 2005 magazine issue date) Review comments will be in red and parentheses ()WT material from today's WT will be in black
    Quotes from other sources will be in quotes boxes

GOOD NEWS FOR PEOPLE OF ALL NATIONS

"You will be witnesses of me ... to the most distant part of the
    earth."-ACTS 1:8.

www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible

Opening Comments

The theme scripture is a snippet. What hides in that ellipsis (...) that couldn't have been included?

Is this scripture deliberately set up to give the impression that the "me" talked about is God (Jehovah)? How did the WTS run interference last week?

"Witnesses of me"--Jesus or Jehovah? Does the average JW realize that the NT talks about Christians being witnesses of Christ, not God Jehovah?

How does the WTS dance around the fact that Jesus said they would be witnesses of Jesus without mentioning God/Jehovah?

w91 1/15 p. 14 Teach Publicly and From House to House

God's abundant blessing upon his present-day servants leaves no doubt that he is pleased to have them bear the name Jehovah's Witnesses. (Isaiah 43:10-12) Moreover, they are Christ's witnesses too, for Jesus told his followers: "You will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon you, and you will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the most distant part of the earth." (Acts 1:8)

w85 1/1 p. 18 Witnessing Brings Kingdom Increase/Witnesses of Me"

Jesus himself commissioned this people, saying: "You will be witnesses of me . . . to the most distant part of the earth." (Acts 1:8) "Witnesses of me"-do these words of Jesus mean that it is concerning Jesus only, and not Jehovah, that the witness must be given? Far from it! At that crucial time, when Jehovah's favor was being transferred from fleshly to spiritual Israel, it was necessary to give a thorough witness concerning the Christ upon whom this new arrangement is built. However, Jesus remains always subject to his Father. He set the example for us in witnessing concerning Jehovah's name and Kingdom.-John 5:30; 6:38; 17:6, 26; 18:37.

So if the Jews were already "Jehovah's Witnesses," how was "Jehovah's favor" transferred to the Gentiles who had never been "Jehovah's Witnesses"?

w81 10/1 p. 24 "Who Really Is the Faithful Steward, the Discreet One?"

The remnant of the "steward" class is easily identifiable today, for they line up with what Jesus, the Master, said to those who would form the original part of the "steward" class. Just before ascending from the Mount of Olives back to heaven, Jesus said to them: "You will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon you, and you will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the most distant part of the earth." (Acts 1:8) In being witnesses of the Lord Jesus Christ those Jewish disciples had to be at the same time witnesses of his God and Father, Jehovah. They never ceased to be Jehovah's witnesses!
    Those Jewish disciples had to be witnesses of Jehovah, for by birth they belonged to the nation to whose forefathers God had said: "'You are my witnesses,' is the utterance of Jehovah, 'even my servant whom I have chosen, . . . So you are my witnesses,' is the utterance of Jehovah, 'and I am God.'" (Isa. 43:10-12) Thus those Jewish witnesses of Jehovah were now to become witnesses also of his Son Jesus Christ.

Even if you were to concede that all anointed Christians, Gentile or Jew, are Jehovah's Witnesses, where does the great crowd of other sheep factor in, since they are not spiritual Israelites?

There was a time that the WTS taught that only the anointed were Jehovah's witnesses.

START OF ARTICLE

CAPABLE teachers pay attention not only to what they tell their students but
    also to how they tell it. As teachers of Bible truth, we do the same. We
    give attention to both the message we preach and the methods we use. Our
    message, the good news of God's Kingdom, does not change, but we do adapt
    our methods. Why? To reach as many people as possible.

Bible truth--Watchtower truth; what Bible truth says that men should not have beards in the congregation; even Jesus was rendered beardless until 1968 when even the WTS could not ignore Bible history regarding the customs of Jesus' time.

Message, methods--message that all non-JWs will soon die; methods, get them to readh WT literature not the Bible.

Good news of God's kingdom--message that all non-JWs will soon die; not so good I think.

2 By adapting our preaching methods, we imitate God's servants of old.
    Consider, for example, the apostle Paul. He said: "To the Jews I became as a
    Jew ... To those without law I became as without law... To the weak I became
    weak, that I might gain the weak. I have become all things to people of all
    sorts, that I might by all means save some." (1 Corinthians 9:19-23) Paul's
    adaptable approach was effective. We too will be effective if we
    considerately adjust our presentations to fit the individuals we are talking
    to.

Adapting our preaching methods--many JWs have one tune they sing at the doors, Johnny One-Notes.

Effective (2)--I guess the message to JWs from the WT is they are not effective.

Adjust our presentations--to the canned presentations the WTS trots out, so you sound like you memorized someone else's ideas, so you sound like a demonstration at the KH.

Individuals we are talking to--how many JWs even really look at the people at the door?

"To "the Ends of the Earth

3 A major challenge faced by those preaching the good news is the extent of
    the territory-"all the inhabited earth." (Matthew 24: 14) During the last
    century, many servants of Jehovah worked hard to reach new lands in order to
    spread the good news. What was the result? Breathtaking worldwide expansion.
    At the dawn of the 20th century, preaching was reported in only a few lands,
    but at present, Jehovah's Witnesses are active in 235 lands! Truly, the
    Kingdom good news is being proclaimed even to "the ends of the
    earth."-Isaiah 45:22.

A major challenge--extent of territory--does the WTS expect to reach every individual at least once in the door to door work? Are they even keeping up with the birth rate? What about China and Islamic countries were there are few if any JWs? Will those people die without having a chance?

w00 1/15 p. 13 "Keep on the Watch"

Today, that prophecy is in the course of fulfillment on an unprecedented scale. True, untouched territories still exist, and it may be that in Jehovah's due time, a large door leading to greater activity will open. (1 Corinthians 16:9) Nevertheless, the Bible does not state that Jehovah will wait until every individual on earth has received a personal witness. Rather, the good news must be preached to Jehovah's satisfaction. Then the end will come.-Compare Matthew 10:23.

w65 9/15 p. 576 Questions from Readers

Since millions of persons in China and other places have never heard the Kingdom message, will these people be preserved through the destruction of Babylon the Great and the war of Armageddon, or perhaps be resurrected later?-H.S., U.S.A.
    It is true that at present it appears that there are vast numbers of mankind who have not heard the Kingdom preaching. Also, from what the Bible says and from conditions in the world, we know that we are in the "last days." But we do not know just how much more will be accomplished in preaching the Kingdom message before the end comes. (2 Tim. 3:1-5; Matt. 24:3-13) If at the end of the second world war someone had said that the Kingdom preaching would be carried out, by more than a million publishers, in over 190 lands, including communistic countries, many might have found that hard to believe. Yet, Jehovah has blessed his people, and that is exactly what is being accomplished. So, if it is Jehovah's will to have this message personally carried to the millions on earth who seemingly have not yet heard it, that will be accomplished. If he chooses, he could see to it that this message is spread in ways that we cannot yet imagine. Jesus did foretell that "this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." (Matt. 24:14) We can rest assured that God will see that the preaching work is done to his satisfaction. After that "the end" comes.

Breathtaking worldwide expansion--how does their expansion compare with the Mormons or the Muslims or the evangelical Christian groups?

The fastest growing religion (in terms of percentage) is Wicca -- a Neopagan religion that is sometimes referred to as Witchcraft. Numbers of adherents went from 8,000 in 1990 to 134,000 in 2001. Their numbers of adherents are doubling about every 30 months

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_prac2.htm

4 What accounts for such progress? Many things. Missionaries trained at the
    Watchtower Bible School of Gilead and, more recently, upwards of 20,000
    graduates of the Ministerial Training School have made a huge contribution.
    So have the many Witnesses who at their own expense have moved to lands
    where the need for Kingdom publishers is greater. Such self-sacrificing
    Christian men and women, young and old, single and married, play a
    significant role in preaching the Kingdom message throughout the earth.
    (Psalm 110:3; Romans 10:18) They are greatly appreciated. Note what some
    branch offices wrote about those from abroad who serve where the need is
    greater in the branch territory.

What accounts for such progress? Missionaries

The WTS would like you to think that no other religion sends out missionaries.
    They also don't tell you that the WTS has only made progress in areas where Christian missionaries have already been tilling the soil and planting seeds. Where Christianity has made no progress, the WTS has made even less.

Witnesses at their own expense: JWs with children, older than 40, who haven't regular pioneered, single sisters, all people Gilead and the MTS will not accept. These people go without the "training" at Gilead.

5 "These dear Witnesses take the lead in preaching in isolated areas, help
    to form new congregations, and contribute to the spiritual growth of the
    local brothers and sisters." (Ecuador) "If the hundreds of foreigners who
    serve here were to leave, the stability of the congregations would be
    affected. It is a blessing to have them with us." (Dominican Republic) "In
    many of our congregations, there is a high percentage of sisters, at times
    up to 70 percent. (Psalm 68:11) Most of them are new in the truth, but
    single pioneer sisters who have come from other lands provide invaluable
    assistance by training such new ones. These sisters from abroad are a true
    gift to us!" (An Eastern European land) Have you ever considered serving in
    another country?*-Acts 16:9, 10. (*See the box "A Deep Sense of
    Fulfillment," on page 22.)

"dear Witnesses"--when is the last time any elder addressed you as a "dear" one?

Contribute to the spiritual growth of the local brothers and sisters--Translation: Get them trained in the organizational way of doing things

Dominican Republic--the happy hunting ground of many regular pioneer sisters who can't find single brothers at home. Many of the local brothers are happy to marry some nice single pioneer sister from the US or Canada to escape the grinding poverty there.

Box on page 22: A Deep Sense of Fulfillment

"Happy and enjoying their united service to Jehovah." That describes a
    family who moved from Spain to Bolivia. A son of the family had gone there
    to support an isolated group. His evident joy so impressed his parents that
    soon the whole family-including four boys from 14 to 25 years of age-was
    serving there. Three of the boys are now pioneering, and the one who led the
    way recently attended Ministerial Training School.

Reasons I have seen for JWs to uproot and move to a foreign country:

1. Father cannot advance beyond MS; has been one for 10 years; moves to smaller congregation where they will be so happy to get a brother that they will disregard any prejudices of the elders from his old congregation.

2. Father/mother want to get sons away from bad spiritual influences in their old congregation so move to an area in a country where technological bad influences are non-existent, e.g., television, cable, stores with video games/cds/dvds.

3. Family has been treated unlovingly for many years in the congregation, thinks it is a local problem and will escape the gossip and backbiting by going to smaller, more "spiritual" congregation. After 2 years, they realize that you can change the location by not the "vocation" of many JWs to meddle in the business of others.

"The challenges are many," says Angelica, aged 30 from Canada, who serves in
    Eastern Europe, "but I get satisfaction from helping people in the ministry.
    I am also touched by the many expressions of gratitude from local Witnesses
    who often thank me for coming to help them."

1. Angelica is tired of working the same territory where no one is home and those who are have no interest in the JW message. In Eastern Europe where the Witness work was under ban for many years, it is a newer, fresher territory.

2. And who knows some nice, single Eastern European brother might be looking for the advantages a Canadian wife might bring.

"There were so many different customs to get used to," say two fleshly
    sisters in their late 20's from the United States, who serve in the
    Dominican Republic. "However, we persevered in our assignment, and seven of
    our Bible students now attend the meetings." These two sisters were
    instrumental in organizing a group of Kingdom publishers in a town where
    there is no congregation.

(Repeat) Dominican Republic--the happy hunting ground of many regular pioneer sisters who can't find single brothers at home. Many of the local brothers are happy to marry some nice single pioneer sister from the US or Canada to escape the grinding poverty there.

Laura, a sister in her late 20's, has been serving abroad for over four
    years. She says: "I deliberately keep my life simple. This helps the
    publishers to see that modest living is a matter of choice and of soundness
    of mind, not of poverty. Being able to help others, especially youths, has
    been a source of joy for me that offsets the real hardships of serving in a
    foreign field. I would not trade my service here for any other life, and I
    will stay as long as Jehovah permits." (End box.)

Deliberately keep my life simple

I wonder what luxuries she can afford that she is sacrificing to teach the "publishers" to see that modest living is a matter of choice...not of poverty.

I wonder what luxuries the "publishers" are indulging in?

I wonder what she considers "the real hardships"?

The people I know that serve in those areas have family or friends in their home congregations that ship in boxes with the luxuries they are missing.

I wonder who ships in boxes for the "publishers"?

Blurb page 23: Our Bible publications are now available in over 400
    languages

"Ten Men Out of All the Languages"

6 Another major challenge is the great diversity of languages spoken on
    earth. God's Word foretold: "It will be in those days that ten men out of
    all the languages of the nations will take hold, yes, they will actually
    take hold of the skirt of a man who is a Jew, saying: 'We will go with you
    people, for we have heard that God is with you people."' (Zechariah 8:23) In
    the modern fulfillment of this prophecy, the ten men represent the great
    crowd, prophesied about at Revelation 7:9. Note, however, that according to
    Zechariah's prophecy, the "ten men" would come not only out of all nations
    but also "out of all the languages of the nations." Have we seen a
    fulfillment of this important detail of the prophecy? Yes, indeed.

Diversity of languages

When you were in high school, did the WTS encourage you to take a foreign language? They do more now. But do they encourage JWs to go to a local tech school or

w01 12/15 p. 25 A Willing Spirit Brings People to Gilead

Christy was encouraged to study the Spanish language in high school, helping to prepare her to spend two years in Ecuador before getting married.

w03 2/15 p. 27 Do Not Leave Your Child's Heart to Chance!

Encourage your child to pursue a wholesome activity, such as learning to play a musical instrument or mastering another language or a craft. To a large extent, he may be able to do this within the safe environment of the home.

Ten men represent the great crowd--no development of how these 2 scriptures are related.

At one time the WTS taught that the great crowd (or great company) was a secondary heavenly class that were not privileged to be priests but would serve as the Levities did in the temple.

The Great Company (Great Crowd of Rev. 7:9) is a secondary heavenly class, not as dedicated as the 144,000. They will be in heaven but as companions of the Bride (servants of the 144,000), and there will be a very great difference in the degrees of glory. (WT Reprints, March 1883, p. 458)

7 Consider some statistics. Fifty years ago our literature was published in
    90 languages. Today, that number has risen to over 400. "The faithful and
    discreet slave" has spared no effort in providing literature even for some
    whose language is spoken by relatively few people. (Matthew 24:45) For
    example, Bible literature is now available in Greenlandic (spoken by 47,000
    people), Palauan (spoken by 15,000), and Yapese (spoken by fewer than 7,000
    people).

400 languages--I guess they won't be able to read the older publications to see what the WTS "used to" teach. But Bibles in 356 languages though that they have to thank "Christendom" for providing.

yb03 p. 25 Highlights of the Past Year

A basic need of God's people is a faithful Bible translation. To this end, the New World Translation has now been released in 44 languages. Of those, 29 are complete editions. During the past service year, the Christian Greek Scriptures were completed in three African languages-Cibemba, Igbo, and Lingala-and the complete Bible was released in Afrikaans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_translations

The Bible continues to be the most translated book in the world. It is found it its entirety or in part in 2,355 of the approximately 6,500 languages that exist. The Bible is now available in 665 languages in Africa, followed by 585 in Asia, 414 in Oceania, 404 in Latin America and the Caribbean, 209 in Europe, and 75 in North America. The United Bible Societies are presently assisting in Bible translation projects in some 600 languages. The Bible is available in whole or in part to some 98 percent of the world’s population.

"A Large Door" Leading to New Opportunities

8 Nowadays, though, we may not need to go abroad to share the good news with
    people of all tongues. In recent years, the arrival of millions of
    immigrants and refugees in economically developed lands has created numerous
    immigrant communities speaking many tongues. For instance, in Paris, France,
    some 100 different languages are spoken. In Toronto, Canada, the number is
    125; and in London, England, more than 300 foreign languages are spoken!
    This presence of people from other lands in many congregation territories
    opens "a large door" leading to new opportunities to share the good news
    with people of all nations.-1 Corinthians 16:9.

Without immigrants and refugees, there would be little or no increase in numbers of JWs in the developed countries.

Many have been sponsored by religious organizations and cannot distinguish one from another. While JW congregations sponsor no refugees/immigrants, they don't mind taking advantage of the new people that other religions have helped.

I have heard JWs say that this is how these people will be reached thinking that the one Chinese they studied with for 6 months who returns to China will somehow start a JW movement there.

9 Thousands of Witnesses are responding to the challenge by learning another
    language. For most of them, it is difficult; yet the struggle is more than
    balanced by the joy of helping immigrants and refugees to learn the truth
    found in God's Word. In a recent year, nearly 40 percent of all those
    baptized at the district conventions in one Western European country had
    come from another land.

Learning a new language--how many of you did or are learning a new language? In this area, Spanish and ESL were offered. I know of 3 JWs that go to the Spanish congregation and after 5 years still barely speak Spanish. But then the meetings are not tiresome since they understand nothing and the people there are friendlier, do more socially, happy hunting grounds again.

40% baptized in one Western European country from another land--a phantom increase. I wonder what the increase was in the land they came from?

10 True, most of us are not in a position to learn a foreign language. Even
    so, we can have a share in helping immigrants by making good use of the
    newly released booklet Good News for People of All Nations,* (* Published by
    Jehovah's Witnesses.) which contains an appealing Bible message in many
    different languages. (John 4:37) Are you using this booklet in the ministry?

Most of us are not in a position to learn a foreign language--why not, they still have Monday, Wednesday, Friday evenings free.

Have you ever used the Good News booklet in the d2d? Did you even have it in your book bag? If you found an "interested person," who was going to go back, you, with the bookllet?

When People Are Unresponsive

11 As Satan's influence grows in the earth, another challenge is more
    frequently faced -there is little response in some territories. Of course,
    this situation does not surprise us, since Jesus foretold that such a
    condition would exist. Speaking about our day, he said: "The love of the
    greater number will cool off." (Matthew 24:12) Indeed, belief in God and
    respect for the Bible have waned among many. (2 Peter 3:3, 4) Consequently,
    in some parts of the world, relatively few individuals become new disciples
    of Christ. That does not mean, however, that the labors of our dear
    Christian brothers and sisters who faithfully preach in such unresponsive
    territories are in vain. (Hebrews 6:10) Why not? Consider the following.

Challenge 2--little response in some territories (notice not "all")

Of course, going when people are known not to be home might be part of the problem.

Respect for the Bible have waned among many.--is that the problem or that people do know their Bible and when JWs come to their door, JWs are ill-equipped to give a Bible answer/defense?

Few individuals become new disciples of Christ--that's because they are already old disciples of Christ--what they mean is they aren't JWs

Hebrews 6:10--Whether a JW is effective or not, they will get their reward, everlasting life in perfect health and happiness on a paradise surrounded by their friends and family who died before Armageddon.

HEBREWS 6:10 10 For God is not unrighteous so as to forget YOUR work and the love YOU showed for his name, in that YOU have ministered to the holy ones and continue ministering. . .

Will God remember all the not-at-homes you found on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons because that was a convenient time to get your pioneer hours in. Of course, you did not return to make these not-at-homes but lost them in your book bag. Will God remember all the people you promised to come back and teach the Bible but promptly lost the slip or gave it away to someone else because you couldn't be tied down to a Bible study. Will God remember the time you had an overload of old magazines so you put them in the door of every house in your territory without even knocking on the door?

Anyway, that scripture talks about ministry to the holy ones, the anointed, the remnant, the 144,000, the FDS, not the people outside the JW congregation.

12 The Gospel of Matthew highlights two main objectives of our preaching
    activities. One is that we "make disciples of people of all the nations."
    (Matthew 28:19) The other is that the Kingdom message serves as "a witness."
    (Matthew 24:14) Both objectives are important, but the latter is especially
    significant. Why?

Objective 1--Make disciples
    Objective 2--Serve as a witness, a warning that justifies their dying eternally in the near future. Yes, a brother mumbles some words, puts magazines in man's hand, man gives back, seals his fate.

13 Bible writer Matthew recorded that the apostles asked Jesus: "What will
    be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?"
    (Matthew 24:3) In response, Jesus said that one outstanding feature of that
    sign would be a global preaching work. Was he speaking about disciple
    making? No. He said: "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all
    the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations." (Matthew 24:14) Thus
    Jesus showed that the Kingdom-preaching work itself would be an important
    feature of the sign.

Sign of presence/conclusion of system of things---good news preached earthwide.

But does the WTS teach that has to be an individual preaching?

w74 6/1 p. 332 Good News for All Mankind

Every individual may not be personally reached and spoken to before the Kingdom begins its undisputed rule over earth. But Jesus said: "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come."-Matt. 24:14.

Blurb on page 24: Can you serve where there is a greater need for Kingdom
    proclaimers?

14 Hence, as we preach the good news of the Kingdom, we remember that even
    if we do not always succeed in making disciples, we do succeed in giving "a
    witness." Regardless of how people respond, they know what we are doing, and
    thus we share in fulfilling Jesus' prophecy. (Isaiah 52:7; Revelation 14: 6,
    7) Jordy, a young Witness in Western Europe, noted: "To know that I am used
    by Jehovah to play a part in fulfilling Matthew 24:14 makes me very happy."
    (2 Corinthians 2: 15-17) No doubt you feel the same way.

If we do not always succeed in making disciples, we do suceed in giving "a witness."

Salespeople have to sell or they don't make any money.

JWs don't have to make a sale to get their "money" life everlasting on a paradise earth.

So why should they try very hard and tie themselves down.

Did you know that in days gone by, in order to be appointed a regular pioneer, you already had to have a bible study? I can remember sisters begging people to give them a good call or turn over a study. Then after being appointed, the study ended. Hmmm.

km 2/71 pp. 3-4 A Letter from the Pioneers

First of all, before you can enroll as a regular pioneer you must have been baptized for at least six months, and during the past six months you must have been a regular publisher reporting at least ten hours and six back-calls on the average each month. You must currently be conducting at least one home Bible study. It is obvious, too, that your conduct must recommend you as a fine Christian in the community.

When Our Message Is Opposed

15 Adverse circumstances pose another challenge to preaching the Kingdom
    good news. Jesus forewarned his followers: "You will be objects of hatred by
    all the nations on account of my name." (Matthew 24:9) Like the early
    Christians, Jesus' followers today have been hated, opposed, and persecuted.
    (Acts 5:17,18, 40; 2 Timothy 3:12; Revelation 12:12, 17) In some lands, they
    are at present the target of governmental bans. Still, in obedience to God,
    true Christians in such lands continue preaching the Kingdom good news.
    (Amos 3:8; Acts 5:29; 1 Peter 2: 21) What enables them, as well as all other
    Witnesses worldwide, to do so? Jehovah empowers them by means of his holy
    spirit. -Zechariah 4:6; Ephesians 3:16; 2 Timothy 4:17.

Challenge 3 --Adverse circumstances, hated, opposed, persecuted, governmental bans

Yes we see the increase in JWs is in these lands. What's wrong in the developing countries where they have it easy and the increase is minimal if any?

True Christians--only JWs

What enables them--constant nagging from the WTS at the meetings, assemblies, conventions, publications.

16 Jesus underlined the close link between God's spirit and the preaching
    work when he told his followers: "You will receive power when the holy
    spirit arrives upon you, and you will be witnesses of me ... to the most
    distant part of the earth." (Acts 1:8; Revelation 22:17) The order of events
    in this scripture is significant. First, the disciples received the holy
    spirit, and then they undertook the global witnessing work. Only with the
    support of God's spirit would they have the strength to endure in giving "a
    witness to all the nations." (Matthew 24:13, 14; Isaiah 61:1, 2)
    Appropriately, therefore, Jesus referred to the holy spirit as "the helper."
    (John 15:26) He said that God's spirit would teach and guide his disciples.
    John 14:16, 26; 16:13.

Witnesses of me (Acts 1:8)--yes, Jesus does not call his followers "Jehovah's Witnesses"

Support of God's holy spirit--the WTS teaches that a person can only receive that through the WTS organization.

w93 8/15 p. 11 Why You Need to Attend Christian Meetings

Holy spirit, working through God's organization, will also help us to gain a wonderfully clear understanding of what Jehovah has in store for those who love him.

17 In what ways does God's spirit help us today when we are faced with
    fierce opposition to the preaching of the good news? God's spirit
    strengthens us, and it opposes those who persecute us. To illustrate this,
    consider an event in the life of King Saul.

Faced with fierce opposition--bible students are first warned about family and friends, then workmates and neighbors, then it is the people at their church, the minister, and those evil apostates, ex-JWs.

Box on page 26: Features of the Booklet Good News for People of All Nations

Blurb in box: Are you using this booklet in the ministry?

The booklet Good News for People of All Nations contains a one-page message
    presented in up to 92 different languages. The message is written in the
    first person. So when the householder reads the message, it sounds as if you
    were talking to him.

When the householder reads the message, it sounds as if you were talking to him.--ESP?

The inside cover features a world map. Use this map as a means to establish
    a rapport with the householder. Perhaps you can point to the country where
    you are living and indicate that you would like to know where he is from. In
    that way, you may draw him out and create a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

The foreword of the booklet lists several steps that we should take in order
    to give effective help to those who speak a language that we do not
    understand. Please read these steps carefully and apply them
    conscientiously.

We must have order!

"Effective" raises its wicked head.

Carefully, conscientiously--Don't screw it up. We spent a lot of time developing this booklet. If it isn't "effective" it's because you screwed up.

The table of contents lists not only the languages but also the
    corresponding language symbols. This feature helps you to identify the
    language symbols printed on our tracts and other publications in different
    languages. (End box.)

I wonder how many JWs knew that already? Why, they speak English and have no desire to learn another language. One brother told me English was going to be the language in the new system.

w89 8/15 p. 19 Paradise Restored Glorifies God

In the restored Paradise, everyone is a friend to everybody else. The bonds of the worldwide family relationship are felt to the depths of each one's soul. All understand one another. They are speaking a common world language. It is likely mankind's original language, which everybody on earth spoke for the first 1,800 years of human existence-from Adam's creation in 4026 B.C.E. until Peleg's day (2269 to 2030 B.C.E.), for "in his days the earth [that is, earth's population] was divided." (Genesis 10:25; 11:1)

Confronted by God's Spirit

18 Saul had a good start as Israel's first king, but later he became
    disobedient to Jehovah. (1 Samuel 10:1, 24; 11:14,15; 15:17-23) As a result,
    God's spirit no longer supported the king. Saul became violently angry at
    David, who had been anointed as the next king and now enjoyed the support of
    God's spirit. (1 Samuel 16:1, 13, 14) David seemed to be easy prey. After
    all, he held only a harp, whereas Saul wielded a spear. So one day while
    David was playing the harp, "Saul proceeded to hurl the spear and say: `I
    will pin David even to the wall!' but David turned aside from before him,
    twice."(1 Samuel 18:10,11) Afterward, Saul listened to his son Jonathan,
    David's friend, and swore: "As Jehovah is living, [David] will not be put to
    death." But then, Saul again "sought to pin David to the wall with the
    spear." However, David "dodged from before Saul, so that he struck the spear
    into the wall." David fled, but Saul came after him. At that critical time,
    God's spirit became Saul's opposer. In what way?-1 Samuel 19:6, 10.

Why did God anoint Saul, from the tribe of Benjamin, when he had promised the kingship to Judah?

19 David fled to the prophet Samuel, but Saul sent his men to seize David.
    When they arrived at David's hiding place, however, "the spirit of God came
    to be upon Saul's messengers, and they began behaving like prophets." They
    were so overwhelmed by God's spirit that they completely forgot the purpose
    of their mission. Two more times Saul sent men to bring David back, and the
    same thing happened each time. Finally, King Saul himself went to David, but
    Saul too was unable to withstand God's spirit. In fact, the holy spirit
    immobilized him "all that day and all that night"-giving David sufficient
    time to flee.-1 Samuel 19:20-24.

David fled to the prophet Samuel--are they saying JWs should feel today's self-proclaimed prophet, the WTS is where they should flee?

Will the holy spirit perform miracles making Saul's messengers behave like prophets? If the elders send men to our doors, will they forget why they came?

20 This account of Saul and David contains a strengthening lesson:
    Persecutors of God's servants cannot succeed when opposed by God's spirit.
    (Psalm 46:11; 125:2) Jehovah purposed that David would be king over Israel.
    No one could change that. For our day, Jehovah has determined that the "good
    news of the kingdom will be preached." No one can stop that from taking
    place.-Acts 5: 40, 42.

Jehovah's purposes or the purposes of men claiming to have God's backing?

Are JWs the only ones preaching?

21 Some religious and political leaders use lies and even violence to try to
    hinder us. However, just as Jehovah protected David spiritually, so He will
    protect His people today. (Malachi 3:6) Therefore, like David, we say with
    confidence: "In God I have put my trust. I shall not be afraid. What can
    earthling man do to me?" (Psalm 56:11; 121:1-8; Romans 8:31) With Jehovah's
    help, may we continue to meet all challenges as we carry out the God-given
    commission to preach the good news of the Kingdom to people of all nations.

Some political leaders use lies to hinder us? I wonder which ones these are? Good political move not to name them specifically.

Just as Jehovah protected David spiritually--so when the elders come they will forget why.

w03 9/1 p. 17 Trust in Jehovah Completely in Times of Distress

Are we not grateful for the trustworthy guidance Jehovah provides through his organization?

Concluding Comments

Once again the WTS has proved there is "nothing new under the sun."

What is clear is that the WTS feels that the rank and file need to be "pushed" more regarding the "preaching" work.

People who have waited many years to see a paradise earth and are getting old, sick and dying. Sisters who have put off marriage until the new system because no eligible brothers are available, sisters who are past the age of having children, and who are realizing that they may die and never marry or have children. Parents who have seen their children drift off away from the organization because of the hypocrisy they see. Parents who are told they can no longer see or talk with the children and by extension their grandchildren. People who have seen few if any new people become Jehovah's witnesses after all their hours of knocking on doors. People....

How much time do the men who write these articles actually spend in the door to door work? How many actually study with people they found by doing so or cherry pick the people who call the elders asking for studies? For that matter how many doors did JF Rutherford knock on?

So are you witnesses of Jesus (Acts 1:8) as he said or witnesses of Jehovah as the WTS said? Who are you following?

Love, Blondie (have a great weekend!)

Can You Recall?

- Why do we adapt our methods of preaching?
    - "A large door" leading to what new opportunities has been opened?
    - What is accomplished by our preach ing work, even in less responsive
    territories?
    - Why can no opposer stop the preaching of the Kingdom good news?

Questions

1. As Bible teachers, to what do we pay attention, and why?
    2. When we adapt our preaching methods, whom are we imitating?
    3. (a) What challenge do we face in our preaching work? (b) How are the
    words of Isaiah 45:22 being fulfilled today?
    4, 5. (a) Who have played a significant role in
    spreading the good news? (b) What did some branch offices say about those
    from abroad who serve in the branch territory?
    6. How does Zechariah 8:23 point to the linguistic challenge in our
    preaching work?
    7. What statistics show that people "out of all the languages" are being
    reached with the good news?
    8, 9. What development has opened "a large door" for us, and how have
    thousands of Witnesses responded?
    10. How have you used the booklet Good News for People o f All Nations? (See
    the box "Features of the Booklet Good News for People of All Nations," on
    page 26.)
    11. What additional challenge is faced in some territories?
    12. What are two objectives of our preaching work?
    13, 14. (a) What is an outstanding feature of the sign of Christ's presence?
    (b) What should we keep in mind, especially when preaching in less
    responsive territories?
    15. (a) About what did Jesus forewarn his followers? (b) What enables us to
    preach despite opposition?
    16. How did Jesus show the link between the preaching work and God's spirit?
    17. When we are faced with fierce opposition, how does the holy spirit help
    us?
    18. (a) What dramatic change for the worse did Saul undergo? (b) What
    methods did Saul use to persecute David?
    19. How did God's spirit protect David?
    20. What lesson can we learn from the account of Saul's persecution of
    David?
    21. (a) How do some opposers today act? (b) Of what are we confident?

• blondie
    blondie

Looks like a slow WT this Sunday and on JWD.

w93 6/15 p. 17 Know Jehovah Through His Word

He sent others out to preach that "the kingdom of the heavens [had] drawn near," to "make disciples of people of all the nations," to be witnesses of Christ "to the most distant part of the earth." Today nearly four and a half million Witnesses of Jehovah are walking in his steps, doing those things.

What happened to Jesus in this picture?

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Blondie what a solid point. What did happen to Jesus? Other than the obvious of being replaced by the ORG.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Are JWs the only ones preaching?
    Indeed! Also we could ask, in quanitity, who has done the most preaching? Is it really the JWs? I think not!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Blondie, This must be one of themost extensive reviews I've read from you - thanks so much for your great effort! Cheers, Ozzie (Blondie's review appreciation class)

• Lot
    Lot

Blondie,

I never actually thanked you for these reviews, so I want to now. I always appreciate them and knowing how much work this is makes the reviews even more special to me.

One point right off the bat that struck me was in paragraph 1,"Our message, the good news of God's Kingdom, does not change". How much has it changed since 1879 or 1919 or 1995 for that matter? How many Witnesses think about that I wonder?

Blondie I hope you dont take this hard, but I am going to make the title of your reviews slightly inaccurate. Not only will I comment on Acts 1:8 referring to Jesus, but I also plan to mention Heb. 6:10 referring to ministering to fellow believers.

Thanks again,

Lot

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Thanks, Blondie.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Great work, Blondie!!!

A basic need of God's people is a faithful Bible translation. To this end, the New World Translation has now been released in 44 languages. Of those, 29 are complete editions. During the past service year, the Christian Greek Scriptures were completed in three African languages-Cibemba, Igbo, and Lingala-and the complete Bible was released in Afrikaans.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_translations
    The Bible continues to be the most translated book in the world. It is found it its entirety or in part in 2,355 of the approximately 6,500 languages that exist. The Bible is now available in 665 languages in Africa, followed by 585 in Asia, 414 in Oceania, 404 in Latin America and the Caribbean, 209 in Europe, and 75 in North America. The United Bible Societies are presently assisting in Bible translation projects in some 600 languages. The Bible is available in whole or in part to some 98 percent of the world’s population.

WatchTower Bible and Tract Society? 44 language translations out of 6,500 known languages. I'm impressed.

Jesus forewarned his followers: "You will be objects of hatred by all the nations on account of my name." (Matthew 24:9)

Since the JW's dethrone Jesus and rarely acknowledge Him the following scripture is more appropriate for them:

Gen 3:15 (HCSB)

15 I will put hostility between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed.

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

I haven't been here in awhile and haven't read one of your synopses in even longer. You do such excellent work, and in a really understandable way.

On another note, I haven't read any JW crap in so long, my skin is crawling at reading their garbage and for how long I bought into it. *shudder*

Thanks for all you do, Blondie! :)

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    The inside cover features a world map. Use this map as a means to establish

a rapport with the householder. Perhaps you can point to the country where

you are living and indicate that you would like to know where he is from. In

that way, you may draw him out and create a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

LOL...Create instant friends using remedial geography! I'm going to have to try that when I meet new people. :-)

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit