Stem Cell Research article

by DevonMcBride 112 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem

>> Tetra, they use ova and a regular cell to make a clone, then shock them in order to mix their nuclear material. If that is successful, then conception takes place. I would doubt that they would be able to make a clone without any sort of ovum.

There is no theoretical reason why this could not be accomplished. This is merely done for technical reasons which may not apply in the future.

rem

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    There is no theoretical reason why this could not be accomplished. This is merely done for technical reasons which may not apply in the future.

Thank you for another unfalsifiable, unscientifically proven statement. What a hypocrite you are when you demand such things of others.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

you are still to respond to my four points regarding why your arguments are illogical. although, nice red herring!

An embryo is a unit of human life that will grow and form into a unit of human life like yourself. I would like to see some research that the majority of doctors assert that life beings at the second trimestre, and I'm pretty sure that that decision is arbitrary and because of the influence of the abortion lobby.

the conventional definition of life from wikipedia, as this is really what this discussion boils down to, whether yoe like it or not. conventional, as in this is the defrintion that doctors and biologists go by:

A conventional definition

In biology, a lifeform has traditionally been considered to be a member of a population whose members can exhibit all the following phenomena at least once during their existence:

1. Growth
    2. Metabolism, consuming, transforming and storing energy/mass; growing by absorbing and reorganizing mass; excreting waste
    3. Motion, either moving itself, or having internal motion
    4. Reproduction, the ability to create entities that are similar to, yet seperate from, itself
    5. Response to stimuli - the ability to measure properties of its surrounding environment, and act upon certain conditions.
    so, now i ask you, does your clump of cells exhibit all 5 phenomena, at the time that you call the clump a human? and at what point in it's existence, does a fetus start to display all 5 phenomena?
  • rem
    rem

>> Funny, I've never heard of a clump of regular cells becoming another person, ever. Can you scientifically prove that this can happen or do you enjoy using unfalsifiable statements?

Unfalsifiable? One word - cloning. Just because it doesn't happen spontaneously in nature (as far as I know) doesn't mean the *potential for human life* is not there. That is what we are discussing here, not mechanics of reproduction.

rem

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    so, now i ask you, does your clump of cells exhibit all 5 phenomena, at the time that you call the clump a human? and at what point in it's existence, does a fetus start to display all 5 phenomena?

1. Growth
    2. Metabolism, consuming, transforming and storing energy/mass; growing by absorbing and reorganizing mass; excreting waste
    3. Motion, either moving itself, or having internal motion
    4. Reproduction, the ability to create entities that are similar to, yet seperate from, itself
    5. Response to stimuli - the ability to measure properties of its surrounding environment, and act upon certain conditions.

1. cell division, 2. metabolic processes in the cytoplasm 3. it moves around, from one place to the other until it has reached the place where it grows fully 4. it will be able to if you did not inhibit it's growth 5. even bacteria can detect stimuli, as I'm sure you'd know.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Tetra, they use ova and a regular cell to make a clone, then shock them in order to mix their nuclear material. If that is successful, then conception takes place. I would doubt that they would be able to make a clone without any sort of ovum.

nice red herring. you ignore the fact that they're still cells.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    >> Funny, I've never heard of a clump of regular cells becoming another person, ever. Can you scientifically prove that this can happen or do you enjoy using unfalsifiable statements?

Unfalsifiable? One word - cloning. Just because it doesn't happen spontaneously in nature (as far as I know) doesn't mean the *potential for human life* is not there. That is what we are discussing here, not mechanics of reproduction.

You said that a clump of cells has a probability of becoming another human being, yet you cannot prove this. It is unfalsifiable. In cloning you take and ovum and zap some complete DNA into, at that time it becomes a zygote and it's an artificial conception completed without a sperm.

• rem
    rem

>> Thank you for another unfalsifiable, unscientifically proven statement. What a hypocrite you are when you demand such things of others.

Methinks you don't fully understand what the word "unfalsifiable" means.

Einstein's theory of relativity was not unfalsifiable when it was published because the experiments to falsify it did not exist. It was falsifiable *in theory*. Please don't bore us with your naive blurtings of "logical fallacy". We are not your typical apologists. We know what logical fallacies are.

rem

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    nice red herring. you ignore the fact that they're still cells.

I don't see how it's a red herring as it's completely relavent. Of course, they're still cells, but so are you.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Methinks you don't fully understand what the word "unfalsifiable" means.

Einstein's theory of relativity was not unfalsifiable when it was published because the experiments to falsify it did not exist. It was falsifiable *in theory*. Please don't bore us with your naive blurtings of "logical fallacy". We are not your typical apologists. We know what logical fallacies are.

Fine, replace unfalsifiable with specualtion and scientifically unproven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit