Stem Cell Research article

by DevonMcBride 112 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Let me preface all this by saying that I'm all for stem cell research. And I think that there isn't anything morally objectionable in using all the frozen unwanted zygotes before they expire. They would have died and been disposed of anyway.

But let me get this straight: A zygote isn't considered alive because it doesn't demonstrate all of the 5 criteria for life?

Well isn't the cell the basic unit of life? Isn't each and every cell of the zygote alive? So how is it that the unity of those cells isn't alive?

In time, the resulting organism will be able to demonstrate all those 5 criteria. Ahhh but wait, with time its no longer a zygote now is it? So I guess then a child isn't alive either till it can procreate, right?
    Hmmmm......isn't the spontaneous splitting of one zygote into two identical ones (you know when you get twins) asexual reproduction? Does that example meet that one criterion or not? Why or why not?

Don't get me wrong. Its just not easy to brush off the point that some make about us squelching life when one teases apart a zygote. I really think they have a valid scientifically supported point that we are interrupting a life process.

But I also think all we can do is deal with the here and now. So to the one group: You're really not making a convincing argument, to me anyways, by claiming the zygote isn't alive.
    But to the other group: Yes we do have a living group of cells here, but its not a person.... and in all likelihood (in the case of the unwanted zygotes) no one would have let it proceed to that stage of development anyway. The reality is they are there, and I think that there'll be a pretty steady supply of them even in the near future. So it'd be less wasteful to harvest those cells and see what good can be done with them.
  • rem
    rem

I think you make a lot of sense, MS. I, too, am uncomfortable categorizing a clump of cells/zygote/fetus as not alive. I don't believe a clump of cells constitutes a person, but when I think of non-life I think of prions and viruses - and even then there is controversy. This is certainly a complex topic. Great to hear different points of view.

rem

• talesin
    talesin
    Really, if everyone feels like twisting my words to prove their own illogical, emotional arguments, I should clarify them.

Hmm, so believing that humans are 'above' all the other animals, is that a rational conclusion? Where is the logic to substantiate this claim? It seems to me that this belief is irrational. Why is it that human life is 'sacred' and animal life is not?

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit