Does JWD fill a VOID in your life?

by ballistic 38 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I guess I would have to answer "yes" to some degree.

To know that you are not alone in realizing that something is wrong in the WT world is a relief. Since I am basically alone in my "apostacy" in my "real" life, it helps to come here and "associate", if you will, with others who have been through the same thing. It's encouraging to know that I am not alone, that there are thousands all around the world who have come to the same conclusions that I have.

When I'm busy, I can't take time to visit, but when things are slow at work, I'll hang around between chores, read and post as I feel like it.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

OMG that was funny E-Man.

Yes, JWD is a great place to meet, and support people. I think it has enriched my life, And I certainly think about you guys a lot.

But now, I must go make chicken money.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

This place opened my mind, so it filled a void. Now I just can't seem to not check on what my new friends are talking about...

WLG

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I have a void I usually head for the refrigerator.

W

• daystar
    daystar

For me, I guess, to an extent. When I left the org so long ago, I did not have any support at all. I knew I wouldn't be going back, but I still believed it was the Truth. And I would never, ever have spoken to an "apostate". So I was really alone, except for my worldly friends. But there was always a wall, or a gap, between us. They didn't know where I came from.

Being able to discuss some of the issue with others who have been through it all has been helpful, if only for yet more closure.

Thank you, all of you, very much. I love you all... even defd.

• ballistic
    ballistic

OK, interesting to see it filling a spiritual void almost. I would say I have been on here so long, the spiritual aspects are very few for me.

Can I give my example and reason for asking?

It's Friday night, normally time to phone round a few groups of friends, find out where people are going for a few beers, etc etc. And I don't know whether it's just how tired I am or fed up, but I just can't be asked. In the back of my mind, I know I have the default option of just sitting here reading on JWD.

If it wasn't there, would I have made an effort to find somewhere to go? Would I have resorted to TV, which is even less interactive. (although sometimes I watch TV and surf the web at the same time). And what is the point of wasting a whole night doing this when I could be out meeting people etc anyway, am I getting a bit deep now?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Technology has become a crutch for the modern individual. How many people do you see talking on their cellphones with every waking minute? I've actually seen a few get groceries and go through the entire line and paying without so much as putting down their phone. We suffer I think, in general, from a lack of communication with our physical counterparts, and so we delve into a world of technology where our identites remain anonymous and our motives and personality can be changed with the mere replacement of a screen name and avatar. Is this healthy? If our communication by electronics has become our sole contact with our fellowman, I can't help but feel we're losing out on a lot. Perhaps we should take more time to greet and converse with the strangers we meet in everyday life--people with whom our actions precipitates expressions, body language, and emotions that are not present in the electronic world. When we perform our communications by the sole means of words, we lose a bit of humanity. So, can jwd fill a void? Most certainly. Should we work to fill that void by varied and other means? Most definitely. Remember folks, there's no substitute for human touch.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Remember folks, there's no substitute for human touch.

Call display, voicemail, and the 'off' buttons on my computer and cell phone work well. And they are less likely to land me in jail than 'touching' someone with my fist or boot.

Either there are too many annoying people in my life or I've become a practicing antisocial.

W

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:And what is the point of wasting a whole night doing this when I could be out meeting people etc anyway, am I getting a bit deep now?

I LOVE JWD but when it comes down to either a night on the town or sitting on my comp you better believe I'm out the door. It helps to keep things in perspective, you gotta move on with your life. Everything in moderation I say.

GBL

• ballistic
    ballistic

John Doe, that was interesting about the shift to technology, although surely this kind of activity is slightly different to talking on a cellphone (mobile). Here we are complete strangers interacting on a database about an intellectual concept, mobile phones surely are an extension to everyday communications with family and friends?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit