FAFSA WTF confusing???

by tsunami_rid3r 11 Replies latest jw friends

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

the SAR said my EFC was $31700, so i thought thats the amount of money i get from the government to pay for college. am i right so far???

well tuition and everything else is about $17000, and i pulled a $2625 loan from bank of america. i just went to my e-pay account thing, and i still owe about $4500...wtf??? and crap i still haven't got my parking permit yet because of the damn waiting list. i'm gonna have to buy one thats far from my dorm for $374. this is bullshit and thats a lot of money. i got till the 24th. crap.

• Confession
    Confession

Tsunami,

I do work for a company that helps families understand the Financial Aid process. Your EFC is your Expected Family Contribution. This is the amount of money the Department of Education says your family should be able to pay annually before getting any outside help. It very definitely is NOT what you're getting from the government. Your Financial Need is determined by subtracting your EFC from the Total Annual Cost for School. So if A&M costs 40,000 per year and your EFC is $31,700. Then that means your Financial Need is $8,300, and Federal & State Grants go toward that amount.

Hate to break it to you, but if that EFC is correct, your family must pay $31,700 each year toward your college costs.

• John Doe
    John Doe

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

All you wish to know and more is right on the fafsa website, and it's far from confusing. Just go through the FAQS section.

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

uh why $31700 when tuition is only about $17000. and my account says i owe $4000. and i got a $2600 loan. i dont know what happened there. should i apply for another loan?

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    uh why $31700 when tuition is only about $17000.

That probably refers to the total contribution expected from your family over a 4 year degree program.

I suggest ROTC if you really, really need money, Navy preferably... less chance of going to Iraq.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Apply for a second job or drop a course, but not so many courses that you are considered a "casual student". That can REALLY screw up your funding.

The next two years are going to be fun. I'll enjoy watching you grow up.

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

i wanted to join the corps, but my dad would disown me if i had anything to do with the military, and he's not even a strong witness himself. im scared to get a job, none of my friends are working or have worked during their freshman year. i think i'm going to drop down to 12 hours anyway but theres a new policy where you still pay full tuition.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    i wanted to join the corps, but my dad would disown me if i had anything to do with the military, and he's not even a strong witness himself. im scared to get a job, none of my friends are working or have worked during their freshman year. i think i'm going to drop down to 12 hours anyway but theres a new policy where you still pay full tuition.

Can you get a job on campus. At my university, if you can't pay, they put you to work for the university or hook you up with financial support. Speak more with the university financial aid office. How about the Coast Guard instead of the military?

• Dune
    Dune

Thats how much they're expecting your family to pay on behalf of your education. So if your tuition and rooming costs 17,000. They're expecting your family to pay for the full 17,000.

Are you sure it said $31,000? Either you are very wealthy, or you filled out your fafsa form out. My efc is about $4,000 and tuition is $10,000. I was provided $8,200.

The rest is coming out of my pocket.

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

EFC= 31479 and my dad said he doesnt have enough money right now to pay up $4,851.25 and its due the 24th, should i pull a short term loan?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit