did you actually pay for magazines and literature?

by arwen 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• arwen
    arwen

Although I did put money into the contribution box untill I found out about Silent Lambs, I never really counted how many magazines and books I picked up or ordered and no one ever said anything about paying for them. I just assumed one put in the box what one could. Did anyone actually figure out what they might owe and put that amount in the Contribution Box?

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Yes. I was one of the poor, foolish, suckers who always purchased more literature than I could actually place and always wound up sharing with other pioneers (free of charge), giving extras away at meetings, and leaving literature free of charge at doorsteps and in public places, just to finally get rid of it.

What an idiot!

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, before 1990, if you didn't pay the brother behind the literature/magazine counter it was not likely you would get any publications. You had to pay for your subscription to the secretary or an MS assigned to do it. The "honor" system didn't start until 1990.

• Honesty
    Honesty

At first I contributed as much as I could afford but then I decided to pay for the magazines and literature using a 'what it's worth' policy which was NOTHING. hehehe

• arwen
    arwen

how much were the magazines and books worth? I got music tapes and CD's and other sisters said just put in what you would pay for a CD at a store. I never heard anything from the platform about the exact price of books, etc

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Back in the 80's, we used to pay $.25 cents for each magazine, and some of the 192 page books were $1.25, some were $1.50 and there was an entire price list at one time. Boy, I wasted thousands of dollars on that krap.

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

I actually never paid for any literature, and I was the one who helped out on literature and also the accountant.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Once the donation arrangement came about, I didn't donate anything. I do remember being 10 years old though, and saving up my allowance of $2 a week to buy a bible, they were $10 at the time. That was 16 years ago, now I can still buy a leather bound bible for $10.

Once I came of age ... I donated $100 one year for a tax break, but it never actually came out of my account for some reason. Not sure why.

Good to see you online again Arwen!

Sean

• arwen
    arwen

Thanks Sean No one ever told me anything about the "donation arrangement". I was baptized in 1996 so maybe it was old hat then but I didn't really ever hear about it.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Yes once the donation arrangement came into place I never paid for my literature.

I wasn't going to read it most likely anyway I was only getting it for appearances sake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit