Why Is Love Among Jehovah's Witnesses Now Only Third Rate?

by metatron 39 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Years ago, in the Watchtower's Truth book, the chapter called "How To Identify the True

Religion" offered a set of reasons for thinking that JW's had the "truth".

The very first "identifying mark " of "true religion" was stated as having "love among

themselves" as Jesus plainly said in John 13: 35 : "By this all will know that you are my

disciples, if you have love among yourselves." So, as directly taken from the Bible,

this was a logical claim to make first and foremost.

However, things have changed! This "love" has now fallen to third place in the

Watchtower's latest listing - inspite of whatever Jesus said ( What Does The Bible

Really Teach? pg 147)

Why?

Is it really so hard to guess? Do Jehovah's Witnesses really seem to care about each

other, anymore than other religions? Do you think that their failure to kill each

other in war really proves anything about "love"? ( "you know I love you so

I've decided not to kill you today") Do Witnesses gossip, backbite, and often

despise each other? ( try running the Theocratic Ministry School for a while

and find out how many sisters won't speak to each other!) Does the organization

encourage internal charities to take care of their own sick and aged?

Isn't obvious that the Society finds this scripture inconvenient - and much prefers

to emphasize other parts of their cultish identity - such as using the name "Jehovah"

- a name Jesus avoided using in the Lord's prayer ("Our Father...) and while dying

on the cross/stake ( "My God, My God......Into your hands, Father") - a name

Paul didn't use ("One God, the Father...) a name John skipped entirely in his

three letters?

Like a record on the Billboard charts, "love among yourselves" has dropped

in importance to them, regardless of how Jesus Christ felt about it.

metatron

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Good points.

Love is over rated.

I certainly am not feeling it.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Where is the love? You said was mine oh mine, till the end of time, was it just a lie? Where is the love?

So much hatred for all the world there's no room for love.

W.Once

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

There is less love because there is no more food at the assemblies. Think about it, most religions provide food one way or another, in a communion service, in an after service meal, or some other kind of ritual eating. It's as if God, represented through an organization, was giving something basically necessary for his people.

But the JWs don't appeal to that most basic need in people and so the love is no longer there.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Jehovah's Witnesses are tired and frustrated It is hard to be loving in this physical and mental state.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

have you ever actually met someone you said of JWs - they are just so loving? A person in the world, not a JW or someone in the midst of the love bomb strategy.

No - in fact the reverse is the case - they are known by the general public

a) as the ones who let their children die for want of medical care (I find that a lot of people don't know the difference between dubism and scientology). Not exactly a great depiction of love.

b) as the ones who come round knocking on doors, with no respect for the privacy of their neighbours, trying to peddle literature.

c) as the religion that breaks up families through shunning.

No society on this planet says ah Jobos - their the ones christ was talking about as being his people for the unique love they have amongst themselves.

Why can't they get a bloody grip and realise this? If I EVER get a chance to discuss this with my father - I'll ask how he thinks dubs are doing epitomising love itself for all the world to see?!

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Good points Crumpet. The love is not 'love' but fear. Not fear of Jehovah either, its fear of doing wrong in the eyes of the GB.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Actually,love should always remain in first place.The points you make are very good,very sneaky how they subtely change things to fit their current agenda.I believe the love Jesus spoke about was true,genuine,christian love.Most witnesses don't have this real,genuine love,just a mask of it,therefore it's very to express it genuinely.

Goldminer

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Like a record on the Billboard charts, "love among yourselves" has dropped...

Nice analogy. The WT has cycled through its soft rock phase and is now into heavy metal -- there's a lot of noise and a driving beat, but you can't understand the words.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I think debating the order of what the "identifying marks" of the "true religion" is pretty low on the importance scale. Not that I'm disagreeing with the substance of your post, metatron, but I do think you are being a little pedantic in making an issue in the numbering the Society uses to list these "noble" traits.

As I'm fond of saying, let us pick wisely the issues we wish to take up with the Society. When we debate minutiae like this it only makes us appear like nit-picking whiners.

B.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit