Did you blindly accept all the JW teachings?

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I was the "good JW", that accepted everything they taught, without even thinking of searching to see if it was true. And how could I have searched to see if what they preach was true? I don't speak hebrew or greek. And even if I spoke those languages, where would I find the truth.

For me, knowing that God's name was Jehovah or JHWH and that he was one, not a trinity, eliminated so many other religions. Other religions were also eliminated because they didnt teach about Armageddon, the great tribulation, paradise earth and so on.

So, basically, I used negative logic to end up as a JW, then I blindly accepted everything they taught.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Oh yes I did. I kick myself literally every day for being such a total idiot.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Well, that's pretty much the logic they want you to use - all other religions have something wrong with them (per the WT definitions) so they are the only ones left who could be right.

Once you reach that point, they become the final authority, so, yes, at that point you accept blindly whatever they say as coming from God.

And, yeah, that's exactly where I was for several years before the light started to break through the fog.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Oh yeah, and so did everyone else I knew. I even believed the walking Papa Smurf story.

It's strange how fast one can be brainwashed by these people. I now reflect on my dub days and can't believe that I fell for any of it.

• JH
    JH

I remember just about every district assembly, I was expecting new light to be revealed. One of these new light teachings, I remember, was that during Armageddon, the kingdom halls would be protected, so making us believe that we should always be there, never missing a meeeting because it was a safe place to be.

• Purza
    Purza

Absolutely. 100% I mean -- why would they lie?

I was totally brainwashed and fell right into their trap.

Purza

• JH
    JH
    why would they lie?

Hey, that would be a great thead..

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I blindly accepted most teachings, but that was because I was a child. Yet there were a few teachings I could never accept because they were not logical (such as the resurrection belief involving "God's memory"). And there were a huge number of wacky beliefs that I just didn't understand until I became older and then couldn't accept. For instance, I didn't realize until I was 17 that the resurrection of the 144,000 would have begun in 1918. I had no idea of this and was shocked to learn of it...I had always thought they went to heaven immediately at death since the first century. I guess scriptures like 2 Corinthians 5 "mislead" me to such "errors"....

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Yes I did ... hook, line and sinker. It never even occurred to me that they might be lying to me. I mean really, these are people with the highest of all moral standards. They would never blatantly lie to me - would they? I think that logic is part of the reason the R&F put up with 'new light'. They don't believe that the GB would deliberately deceive them. By the time I witnessed the third flip-flop, I didn't care if it was intentional or not - they were lying!!!!!

• I quit!
    I quit!

Yes but I think there were reasons for it. They only find people who are at some unhappy point of their life. Happy well adjusted people don't become Jehovah's Witness. With all the love bombing going on I really wanted to believe these people had the truth so I think I let my defences down. Defences that would have normally made me more sceptical and questioning. Before I knew what was happening I was out there with a haircut a book bag and a suit. Once I was in it for a while I started noticing some things that didn't make sense but I did what I believe Randy refers to somewhere as pigeon holing the problems so I didn't have to deal with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit