JW's and education

by sinis 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

sinis, maybe you've already tried this, but I thought I'd suggest it in case you haven't. Show her some of the newer literature about college and how it's ok now. Granted, we all know the WTS contradicts that from the platform, but when she says that, just say, "The FDS doesn't contradict itself. It's right here in print."

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Stormfront:

If I were you I would never let my dub wife have any control of the purse strings. Forget about having her invest anything! She probably doesn't know the first thing about it. Besides, you never know, she might be contributing to the congregation without you knowing it. I am sure you wouldn't want that!

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    If I were you I would never let my dub wife have any control of the purse strings. Forget about having her invest anything! She probably doesn't know the first thing about it. Besides, you never know, she might be contributing to the congregation without you knowing it. I am sure you wouldn't want that!

The only way the WT will get any money out of me is when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

When she proposed that, I think the incredulous look on my face told her everything she needed to expect as far as that was concerned. She just doesn't see the irony in what she's asking.

If she were out working it would be my money...my money.....mine mine mine !!!!!! But she wants me to put a large chunk of money aside somewhere so that she can "play" with it?

HELLO !!!!!!!

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

A couple of times my wife handed me a $20 bill or something to drop in the contribution box, and I walked right by it and put it in my pocket.

This was after I finally made the mental break from JWs and I was really pissed. It felt good to do that. It sucks feeling like I am deceiving my wife, but it felt good to do that and not feel any guilt about not making it to JW Fantasy Land.

-ithinkisee

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Put your head down and trudge ahead sinis. You're right, no degree = dead end job + poverty in your old age!

If I left my job of 5 years to look for something comparable WITHOUT a degree I'd have a very hard time. I could be a purchasing clerk, but the pay would be about 55% less than what I'm making now, even though I have over 8 years of experience! I've been on haitas trying to figure out what I want to do. But I'm going back in the fall to finish the last 10 required classes for a degree in business management. I have 5 electives I can either test out of or take at community college. But come heller-highwater I got to get that piece of paper!

Witlesses live in a fantasy world. How many seniorsin the borg are living with the harsh reality of not planning for retirement? Maybe your wife should speak to some of the olders ones in the congreation to get a clearer picture.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Because of an injury I had to go back to school and retrain so I could continue to feed myself rather than live off the welfare system. So I took courses to get into the IT field. Some elders were ok with it but others looked for every opportunity to open their stupid yaps. The new career has been good to me as I enjoy it and it gives back as much as I'm willing to put into it. To remain employed I have to keep up to date with new technologies, so I sometimes take courses part time. The elders became livid when I signed up for a course on firewalls. They didn't interfere with meetings or service as they were on Saturday afternoons, but the elders took away all my "privilidges" and pronounced me "materialistic".

I then decided that, since they were so opposed to my alleged "materialism" that it would be inappropriate for them to benefit from my material gain. So I promptly threw their book study group out of my house. I stacked the chairs on the elder's porch, blocking his front door with them.

In all the discussions I had with the elders on this matter, they never once opened the bible they claim to hold in such high esteem. Instead they spew forth the opinions of men, and very stupid men at that! Telling them this, as well as throwing out the BS, brought me great joy.

I've never heard an educated person say that education is a waste of time. Comments like that usually come from the ignorant. Never let anyone talk you out of getting an education.

W

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

ROFLMAO finallyfree! It kills me how judgemental some assholes elders can be! They were just jealous because they knew you'd end up making more money than they did!

And the way you pitched the bookstudy group out of your house - PRICELESS

sweet tee

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FinallyFree:

Hooray for you in throwing the book study out of your house. You are totally right to feel that they should NOT benefit in any way from YOUR material gain since they have such contempt for it (or so they say)!

That is one of the first lessons I learned about them years ago. They don't believe in education or work (as evidenced by the fact that they tell you to spend as little time as possible on a secular job), but yet they have the audacity to think they are going to benefit from the fact that you have a job.

They can never be forgiven as far as I am concerned.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I know exactly how you feel. When I graduated from high school I had a full ride scholorship because of grades, and winning at state level technical competitions. However being in a family of true believers I didn't go to college. Instead I applied for, and got into a Union Training program. The elders still looked down on me. I had school two nights a week, and worked a 40 hour work week. That was still too much for them, and I had all my privileges yanked. More than that, they looked at me with suspicion. I guess because I was now a member of ANOTHER organization which might also influence my thinking.

Anyway, 10 years later I've now seen the light. I'm starting back at school in 2 weeks. In a few years when I have my degree, and then big A still hasn't come what will they say?

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    And the way you pitched the bookstudy group out of your house - PRICELESS

My wife is trying to talk me into buying a bigger house so that she can have host bookstudy's and parties for "the friends".

Yeah.......that'll happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit