Poor medical service and other rant-worthy issues

by kwintestal 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Well I hear ya, Kwin. I had open heart surgery to replace my mitral valve 3 years ago so now I take 9.5 mg of Coumadin a day (strong anticoagulant/blood thinner). I have to get that checked a couple times a month by means of a simple blood draw.

Couple of months ago the lab lady who drew me tied the tourniquet so tight around my left upper arm she severed the radial nerve. By the next day my left hand went dead. I didn't know what was going on so I went to the ER, where they drew blood out of my right arm, and lo and behold THEY tied the tourniquet so tight it severed THAT radial nerve. So now I have been diagnosed by two neurologists with bilateral radial palsy. I have wrist drop and can barely move my fingers. In order to type I have to hover my hands over the keyboard, let them fall, and hope my pointer finger hits the right key (ergo, lots of typos and backspaces, and tired wrists, and frustration galore). My New York State disabilty ain't much and it's gonna run out soon, and I'll probably have to hire a lawyer to sue for social security benefits since I'm so young. My lawyer says he's talked to the neurologist and can't get him to say "malpractice" so I probably won't have a lawsuit. For the first time in my life I feel genuinely scared and helpless.

Edited to add: I'm looking at a 6 month to 2 year recovery time. Basically the nerve has to hopefully regenerate and grow back from my triceps all the way down. I am going to have to figure out a way to not lose my house.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Oh Dear! I'm not being very helpful today am I? I just re-read my post and I'm grateful you let the cream filled comment pass

Dams

• damselfly
    damselfly

Cygnus ~ I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Get well soon

Dams

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I promise to stop complaining about my doctors. I promise to stop complaining about my doctors.

I promise to stop complaining about my doctors. I promise to stop complaining about my doctors.

sometimes life just ain't fair

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit