Penn & Teller, what do you guys think of them?

by Big Dog 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Very clever guys. It refreshing to see after seeing the bs that is other 'magicians'.

Have you people seen Derren Brown?

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Pete, I agree that without some of the bombast the message might get through a little better and people might be a little more receptive. I think part of it is due to showmanship and some of it is the same thing you see on this forum when the science folks go berserk on the religious folks, they just flame them rather than trying to rationally walk them through the arguements and that just makes the religious folks dig their heels in harder.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Penn & Teller take an ultra caustic approach with humor to exposing the other side of many interesting things. They aren't afraid to go after anybody. I still remember the one they did on "religion" which used clips from an old black and white silent film with Moses opening the Red Sea with the words "actual footage!" blinking at the bottom of the screen. LOL. You can rent them from Netflix and they are all worth watching if you don't mind the heavy profanity.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I enjoy that show too, but don't have Showtime anymore. It was hilarious, especially the show on "End Times Religions".

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Ive never seen it, but sounds funny!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I watched Penn and Teller years ago on telly - a tad too 'in your face' for my liking. Not quite the same, but I like Derren Brown.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Oops I meant Penn is a blowhard

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Oh, I looove these guys! Been a fan for like, twenty years or so. I think I saw them for the first time on Letterman.

I rented some of the Bullshit shows, and loved them! Esp. the one on genetically modified foods- incredible.

My guy and I went to see their live show 61/2 years ago, when we were first falling in love. Great show! During intermission, Teller sold me two t-shirts; he's very charming. And after the show, Penn signed my ticket stub and flirted with me. Man, if I hadn't have been there with a date, I mighta got me some of that...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I know this is only an individual case (not statistically significant), but Dana Reeve coming down with lung cancer makes a lot of sense with the second-hand smoke theory (she worked as a club singer in smoke-filled nightclubs).

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    Oops I meant Penn is a blowhard

LOL...yeah, I don't imagine Teller is accused of being a blowhard too often! :-)

I think the show is very good overall and I certainly do appreciate the goal, but sometimes it seems like they are dismissive of legitimate arguments that run contrary to their points. Obviously, the primary goal is to make a funny show, not necessarily to inform, but at times I feel like they are too heavy-handed.

Overall I think it's a great show, though. Did you see the one on magnet therapy? I think I actually fractured a rib laughing. "Y'see, the electrons are flying around, and they, the electrons have a charge, and they attract from the positive to the negative, and that's what a magnet is." The guy made Bush sound like a genius. :-)

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit