All about appearances, another thing I hate about people...

by wanderlustguy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I went to a concert with a friend of mine last night, and spent a lot of the time amused at his and his friends' behavior. I LOVED the music, live music does it for me in so many ways, The show had Cracker, Danko Jones, and Carbon Leaf, all really reallly good bands, in an outdoor park. Anyway, I'm starting to get irritated form the nudging and hey, take a look over there's, and getting asked to go "trollin" for women. Which in and of itself isn't that out of the norm for single guys in their 30's I guess. But c'mon, what are you going to talk about with someone at a concert...maybe yell at each other about how you love the lyrics of "Live a life less ordinary" and how it relates to how you want to reach certain goals? Don't get me wrong, I realize you meet people at concerts, but the odds of just walking up to a woman and yell HELLO, NICE TO MEET YOU, and something coming of it are soooo far out there.

So anyway, that's not the point...just the set up. So we're on the way back, I'm just ready to get back home and leave the knuckle draggers to their own devices, and damn tired of being embarrassed by them looking every single woman from head to toe like she's a steak or something. So then the conversations gets going about relationships and relating to people, and I'm like hell, finally we get to have something of substance to talk about...wrongo. The two guys up front completely ruin my hopes in a matter of seconds, talking about maybe having some other people over, but then it's no, nah, no, not them based on HOW HOT THE WOMEN THAT WOULD COME WITH THEM WERE. I mean c'mon, is that all there is? Tell me there's got to be more than this? They even went so far as to talk about how there's no sense in having ugly women around for friends, much better off hangin around guys, that's what they're for anyway. Let the ugly b*tches hang with each other. I was so disappointed in the guy, because I had a lot of respect for him. I mean I can't even imagine the things I would not have learned, the laughs I would not have had, and the friendships I would never enjoy if I used that line of reasoning.

It's just such a shame, because everywhere we look that is all we see, it's all about perception, and not perception of thoughts or ideas or the substance that makes a person really great, but outward appearance. And yes, I agree, a person's appearance does tell you a lot about how they respect themselves and others, but to judge whether or not someone's friendship has value based on whether or not you find them attractive? Unbelievable.

I used to wonder why the guy isn't mobbed by women everywhere he goes...now I know.

WLG

• JH
    JH

We live in a world of wealth, appearance and lust.

The first thing people notice when they meet someone for the first time is the looks, the way the person talks and acts, and then the financial status.

I agree with you all the way !

Personally, I never did put too much emphasis on the looks of a person to be my friend. In my book, just about everyone is beautiful.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am sorry, women are so lovely I can not help looking either

• JH
    JH

Is your wife beautiful Stilla?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes she is and I am not saying that just because she is my wife. Yes she is lovely

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    I am sorry, women are so lovely I can not help looking either

Hell who doesn't, but theres a difference between appreciating how someone looks and being disrespectful of them as a person. I guess I just don't get how someone could totally miss the awesome show...just to go look for women to look at...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

and being disrespectful of them as a person.

ABSOLUTELY - I AGREE

• zulukai
    zulukai

One of the biggest lessons I learned about the beautiful people and popularity based on looks and affluence was hammered home at my 20th high school reunion.
    It was a shock to learn of the drab lives and mediocre circumstances of some of the most "sought after" people I went through high school with. In contrast, the dweebs and nerds and girls considered too plain to bother with were living the good life...travelling the world having adventures in their chosen careers, full of stories of working in foreign countries, making bags of money and were still nice, understated people.
    I've known people who at first glance seemed less than good looking who at the end of the day were the most scintillating. interesting AND sexy people in the crowd. You never know who you"ll meet that has that certain special quality either and they very often won't be the most flashy looking.
    A lot of women go for the surface rather than the substance too, but in the end it really does come down to the old saying: "handsome is as handsome does!" :-)

• Apathy
    Apathy

Newsflash: Men are pigs.
    With the exception of you all, of course. x)
    Yeah. Well, he'll get his comeuppance. Someday, a hot girl is going to blow him off for being an ugly asshat.

• luna2
    luna2

WLG, these guys sound a lot like my ex-husband. Everything came down to how attractive or how in shape or how much money somebody made. He was pretty much of an ass to anybody who didn't score high in one of those three catagories. Intelligent? Charming? Witty? Talented? Ppphhhtt...he doesn't care (unless he figures he could use you somehow) because all that truly matters to him is if you look good or have the means to buy lots of stuff and live in a big house.

LOL @ Apathy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit