1925?

by Jeff Downs 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TD
    TD

Jeff,

1925 is not specifically mentioned in this particular article. However it was an integral part of what the article refers to as "present truth" chronology.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi TD,

Would it be possible to get scans for the remaining pages of this article?

I see that the article is laying the foundation for some sort of proof.

It would be interesting to see what "facts" were considered proof back in 1922.

--VM44

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Blondie, thanks for that link. Just one thing:

This site is maintained by one of Jehovah's Witnesses who fully supports the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

...so it says on the site. And also:

There is also another reason for these publications being made available in this way: Some of these books are available on the Internet through sites run by apostates, which means that the person who wishes to consult them may also be exposed to other material of an apostate nature.
    And in the beginning of each book:
    Due to various electronic necessities, insignificant formatting, punctuation, capitalization, etc. editing has occurred.
    Are you sure these books haven`t been "edited" more than "due to various electronic necessities"? I mean, that they could have removed/changed the most revealing passages? Cause I don`t trust those people for a second...
  • blondie
    blondie

Hellrider, I have compared them to copies on the "apostate" sites and in my library and they seem essentially the same. I don't want to get to thinking like some JWs do, suspicious about everything on the internet.. The WTS posts publications on its site and essentially seems the same as what I have in my library.. If you don't feel secure, don't use them.

Blondie

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Blondie: Ok, I`ve looked more closely at them now, I`ve found references to 1874 and some other things, I don`t think they`ve been tampered with. Thanks!

• TD
    TD

This was only a 2 3/4 page article. Page 219 was the last page:

• Jeff Downs
    Jeff Downs

Just wanted to say thank you to all those who have helped - because you did! ;)

Thanks,

Jeff Downs
    Resource Index/Resource Report, http://www.rctr.org

• VM44
    VM44

Thank you TD for scanning the last page.

I noticed in this article that the writer doesn't like Ptolemy, and also doesn't understand the "scientific" law of probability. In particular, he doesn't understand what "independent" and "dependent" events mean and how they would relate to the argument he is putting forth.

This article was written by and for a group of people who already have their own alternate, fantasy reality.

I do have to say that the writers back then were much more creative in what they wrote.

I think the "spark" the older writers had is very much missing from today's Watchtower writers.

--VM44

• Jeff Downs
    Jeff Downs

Forgive me for going back to this, I should have asked this in the first place. You stated regarding 1925 that "was an integral part of what the article refers to as "present truth" chronology."

How do you come to this conclusion?

Thanks,

Jeff Downs
    Resource Index/Resource Report, http://www.rctr.org

• TD
    TD

Hi Jeff,

I base the conclusion on the period literature, most particularly the early 1920's Watch Towers and the publication, "Millions Now Living Will Never Die." "Present truth chronology" was the chronology "fixed" in scripture and "revealed" to the Bible Students at the time.

As the May 15, 1922 issue of The Watchtower had stated, the expectations regarding 1925 were derived from "The same measuring line" that gave the dates 1874, 1878, 1914, etc. (i.e. An adaptation of the Jubilee cycle using the exact same starting points and methods.)

The same issue (May 15, 1922) of The Watch Tower said:

"There can be no more question about 1925 than there was about 1914. The fact that all the things that some looked for in 1914 did not materialize does not alter the chronology one whit. Noting the date marked so prominently, it is very easy for the finite mind to conclude that all the work to be done must center about it, and thus many are inclined to anticipate more than has been really foretold. Thus it was in 1844, in 1874, in 1878 as well as in 1914 and 1918. Looking back we can now easily see that those dates were clearly indicated in Scripture and doubtless intended by the Lord to encourage his people, as they did, as well as to be a means of testing and sifting when all that some expected did not come to pass."

Just in the year 1922 alone, articles on chronology were featured in The Watch Tower during May, June, July and September.

Tom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit