1925?

by Jeff Downs 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Jeff Downs
    Jeff Downs

I am looking for the July 15, 1922 Watchtower article which contained this

"This chronology is not of man, but of God. Being of divine origin and divinely corroborated, present-truth chronology stands in a class by itself, absolutely and unqualifiedly correct...."
    Watchtower July 15, 1922, pg. 217.
    Photograph - <http://www.jwfiles.com/scans/WT7-15-1922p217.htm>

The only thing I see online is the above page from the article. I need the whole article or at least pg. 216 to put some context to it. Please Email me at [email protected] if you have this information.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

You've prolly already seen them, but there are some good similar quotes available here:

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/1925.htm

Dave

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Do you mean p. 218? It looks like p. 217 is the first page.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Jeff~

I couldn't find scans of these, but I found the following quotes interesting and they do help give context as they are from Watchtower articles published the preceding 2 months:
    _____________________________________________________________________________

The Watch Tower of May 15, 1922 under the subtitle "Stamped with God's Approval," said:

"It was on this line of reckoning that the dates 1874, 1914, and 1918 were located; and the Lord has placed the stamp of his seal upon 1914 and 1918 beyond any possibility of erasure. What further evidence do we need?"

"Using this same measuring line, beginning with the entry of the children of Israel into Canaan, and counting the full 70 cycles of 50 years each, as clearly indicated by Jehovah's sending of the Jews into Babylon for the full 70 years, it is an easy matter to locate 1925, probably the fall, for the beginning of the antitypical jubilee. There can be no more question about 1925 than there was about 1914. The fact that all the things that some looked for in 1914 did not materialize does not alter the chronology one whit. Noting the date marked so prominently, it is very easy for the finite mind to conclude that all the work to be done must center about it, and thus many are inclined to anticipate more than has been really foretold. Thus it was in 1844, in 1874, in 1878 as well as in 1914 and 1918. Looking back we can now easily see that those dates were clearly indicated in Scripture and doubtless intended by the Lord to encourage his people, as they did, as well as to be a means of testing and sifting when all that some expected did not come to pass. That all that some expect to see in 1925 may not transpire that year will not alter the date one whit more than in the other cases." (A-15)

Rutherford neglected to mention that "the things that some looked for in 1914" were things the Watch Tower predicted to occur, not independently-arrived-at expectations of individual Bible Students. The June 15, 1922 Watch Tower elaborated further on the rightness of their chronology under the subtitle, "Further Proof of Present-Truth Chronology", saying:

"There is a well known law of mathematics called "the law of probabilities." Applications of this law are frequent in everyday life in settling matters of doubt. In a family of children, if a certain kind of mischief is committed, the probabilities -- indeed, the certainty -- are that it was done by a certain one, and that the others assuredly did not do it. If some peculiar damage is done by night to a single house, then by the law of probabilities it may have been a pure accident; if done to two houses in the same manner it probably was not accidental but by design of some person; but if done to three or more houses in the same manner it passes out of the possibility of accident into the certainty of design.

"The chronology of present truth might be a mere happening if it were not for the repetitions in the two great cycles of 1845 and 2520 years, which take it out of the realm of chance and into that of certainty. If there were only one or two corresponding dates in these cycles, they might possibly be mere coincidences, but where the agreements of dates and events come by the dozens, they cannot possibly be by chance, but must be by the design or plan of the only personal Being capable of such a plan - Jehovah himself; and the chronology itself must be right.

"In the passages of the Great Pyramid of Gizeh the agreement of one or two measurements with the present-truth chronology might be accidental, but the correspondency of dozens of measurements proves that the same God designed both pyramid and plan - and at the same time proves the correctness of the chronology.

"The agreement of the chronology with certain measurements of the Tabernacle and the Temple of Ezekiel further stamps the chronology as true.

"It is on the basis of such and so many correspondencies - in accordance with the soundest laws known to science - that we affirm that, Scripturally, scientifically and historically, present-truth chronology is correct beyond a doubt. Its reliability has be abundantly confirmed by the dates and events of 1874, 1914, 1918. Present-truth chronology is a secure basis on which the consecrated child of God may endeavor to search out things to come." (A-15,16)cg11

And if anyone missed the point, the Watch Tower of July 15, 1922 under the subheading, "The Strong Cable of Chronology," said:

"There exist, however, well established relationships among the dates of present-truth chronology. These internal connections of the dates impart a much greater strength than can be found in other chronologies. Some of them are of so remarkable a character as clearly to indicate that this chronology is not of man, but of God. Being of divine origin and divinely corroborated, present-truth chronology stands in a class by itself, absolutely and unqualifiedly correct."

These were found at http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Creek/8867/Letter5web.html

~Merry

• TD
    TD

Jeff, You don't want page 216. That's the last page of the previous article. I'll scan page 218 if you want

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

alt

steve

• TD
    TD
  • Terry
    Terry

This is what I would call a MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION.

It is impervious to disproof because, either way, it stands. How? By the mere act of

INSISTING IT IS TRUE!

Have you heard of Mysticism?

A Mystic says: "Whatever I hold in my mind is what is true and the facts be damned."

Wishful thinking is like that. People choose to believe something and will filter out all disproof to the contrary.

Jeffrey Dahmer's mom probably had a similar viewpoint as evidence of his cannibalism kept piling up.

T.

• Jeff Downs
    Jeff Downs

I've seen the quote I posted to refer to 1925, but I'm not seeing anything in the article to indicate this.

Is 1925 in view here or is this being used out of context.

Thanks,

Jeff Downs

• blondie
    blondie

Online older WT publications including Millions Now Living (1925 references)

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/ The Object and Manner of Our Lord's Return

Creation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit