I am NOT going to smoke a cigarette today

by DanTheMan 50 Replies latest jw friends

• sunshine2
    sunshine2

Hey Dan,

hope you make it through the day and continue to do so.

I quit smoking twice for 7 years and it seemed easy for me.....don't ask why I started again.....but both times I did it "for Jehaovah", or better said, once to get baptized and once not to be disfellowshipped. This time I guess I started because I COULD!!!! Got out of the organization, so.....Hehe......

But I set the date for September 16th...that will be my new quitting date, hope to be able to keep it up myself. It is not so much a physical addiction as it is a habbit. Whenever you get into the car, whenever the phone rings, after dinner and with a good drink.....

Well, got go and smoke while I can.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

So far, so good - keeping myself busy studying for Western Civ class.

everytime i see a post like this it makes me want to light up one and now i have ashes in my keyboard

lol, sorry man.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Good for you!!! The health benefits are worth it!!!

I never smoked, cause my DAD smoked 4 packs a day, and I was sick all the time when I lived at home. The smoking killed him at an early age of 65.

Take one day at a time....and don't beat yourself up if you have a relapse....

Like Blondie mentioned, smoking cigarettes is the most addictive habit to break...

Hang in there....we "support you".

CodeBlue

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Good luck Dan. I often think of giving up myself, I just never seem to get to the doing part, maybe one day....

• juni
    juni

Singing to your "friend" - "You're a hard habit to break." lalalalalalalal (Chicago) I had talked to a nurse who had lost her license as she was stealing drugs from the hospital. She had said that quitting heroine was much easier than quitting cigs. Cigarettes are physically addictive. It was suggested to me to have a water bottle filled - one with a straw preferably to take the place of the cig and have that w/ya. They have found smokers are more dehydrated also. Appreciate the comment about the oxygen - never heard that. Longest I've lasted w/o is 6 days. Then turmoil hits and I'm out buying more. Hate being a slave to this. Good luck (or should I say be of good fortune) in your quitting. With you in trying again!!!!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I never smoked, cause my DAD smoked 4 packs a day, and I was sick all the time when I lived at home.

I relate to this exactly. My dad was a heavy smoker and until my mom converted to the Witnesses, she smoked too. I had very strong sensory sensitivities and found smoking overwhelming and disgusting, and it was very difficult for me to bear with it. I acted (and still act!) just like Mr. Monk when it comes to cigarettes. If my dad asked me to bring his cigarettes, I would get a napkin to carry them so I wouldn't touch them directly. LOL!! Funny thing, tho, is that I'd prolly do the same thing if I were in the same situation today.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

"get some sunflower seeds still in the shell. it will keep your mouth busy and helps some." My dad quit decades ago. He relied on Carrot Sticks and Celery to keep his hands and mouth busy. Good luck with this healthful decision! -Aude.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I'm going to bed now, and I didn't have a puff of tobacco smoke the entire day HELL YES! Thanks for the encouragement (ugh that sounded Witnessy). Once I make it through that first day it seems to be pretty easy after that, for 3 or 4 months before I start up again anyway. This is the last time though, I'm done with them.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Dan,

Best of luck! I strongly recommend finding a positive substitute for smoking. For example, if you tend to smoke to relieve tension and irritability you could try progressive relaxation of your muscles, deep breathing and meditation. Or, take up drinking.

B.

J/K about the drinking.

• talesin
    talesin

Dan, congrats! I've been struggling with it, too.

You've made it through day one,,, I hope the rest will be easier.

xo

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit