Watchtower Stock Gamblers?

by ros 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ros
    ros

Hi, Larc and Sam:

I agree with you! It is not I who says that gambling is a sin. I don't think it is. I can quote parables of Jesus where those who did not invest their money to increase its gain were disapproved by their master.
    It's the Watchtower who claims "gambling" is a sin! I disagree with the Watchtower (not only on this as you must know ! What I'm saying is that the Watchtower is being hypocritical by investing in stock because by their own definition of gambling equating "greed" it should be wrong according to their doctrine.
    I am Christian and I invest in the stock market. I don't care if it is a gamble--it is a calculated risk that I choose to take. I do not believe this is Biblical greed--I agree with you. I'm talking about the Watchtower investing their members' signed-over estates into stock for their gain considering their definition of "greed" as they equate it to "gambling". I do not agree with the Watchtower. But it is very evident that they limit their interpretation of scripture to their own advantage. Kind of like their interpretation of abstaining from stored blood, but not stored blood components. Do you see what I mean?

• larc
    larc

As I said before, I don't think the Watctower ever said that investing in the stock market was gambling or a form of greed. I can't find it in print. In my congregation, it was said that investing in the stock market was a form of gambling. That is why I referred to it as an "oral tradition."

Also, I stated my opinion (not theirs) about how proper investing can be risk free and therefore no gamble at all.

In other areas, I gamble, e.g., black jack because the odds are close to even. For my son, who can count cards, it is not a gamble at all. He consistently wins.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit