Doubt Not!

by silentlambs 57 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

I thought you might like to see a fax I just sent to J. R. Brown. You can also pick it up on the front page of the website, you may also read and download the complaint that states the basis of this lawsuit. run wt run.....

silentlambs

silentlambs, inc.
    PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICE
    For Release August 8, 2001
    Jehovah’s Witnesses Child Molestation Victims Seek Justice
    Victims of child molestation have served a lawsuit against the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, the corporate entity that controls the organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses. The law firm of Reinhardt and Anderson, in Saint Paul, Minnesota, is filing the first of several lawsuits in behalf of victims who have been injured by the Watchtower's policy of ignoring reported child sexual abuse.
    The organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses is a closed society that requires its members to turn inward to the organization with any problems, rather than seek outside help. This practice conflicts with laws requiring the reporting of suspected child abuse. Victims’ attorney Jeff Anderson states: “Child sexual abuse is not tolerated anywhere else. With the onset of the laws protecting children such as neighborhood notification laws and mandatory reporting statutes, the days when child molesters enjoyed a cloak of silence are past, except within the organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses. This church seems to think they are above the law the rules do not apply to them. This case is simply about making Jehovah’s Witnesses understand they have the same rules as everyone else when it comes to protecting our children.”
    Jehovah’s Witnesses are accused of creating an organizational policy that, in the opinion of victims, has shielded child molesters, while continuing to harm victims. It is alleged that when a victim comes to the church elders to report child sexual abuse by a church member, Watchtower has instructed the elders to require the victim to present proof of the sexual abuse before the victim is to be believed. According to church policy, the proof can include two eyewitnesses to each act of abuse. Failure to present such proof can result in the victim being ostracized and shunned by elders and the congregation for false accusations against a member.
    Anderson states: “The very nature of child sexual abuse is that it rarely happens in the presence of others. Child victims of sexual abuse are especially traumatized as the perpetrators often threaten them into silence. Jehovah’s Witnesses policy is no different. The victims do what they are supposed to do, go to the church, and the church turns against them.” Victims claim that elders often do nothing to prevent known child molesters from having contact with children, including requiring all church members to solicit Watchtower literature on the doorsteps of unsuspecting residents.
    The first lawsuit will be filed in Nashua, N. H., where Jehovah’s Witness church member, Paul Berry is alleged to have repeatedly sexually molested his stepdaughter and his daughter, starting when they were three years old. When the girls’ mother went to the church elders with her suspicions of abuse, the elders told her she should be a better wife, and to pray more about the situation, ignoring New Hampshire’s mandatory child abuse reporting statute. The abuse continued and Berry was ultimately criminally convicted for the abuse of his stepdaughter and was sentenced to 56 years in prison. The same church elders who initially received the mother’s reports of abuse several years earlier, spoke to the judge at Berry’s sentencing hearing and maintained their belief in his innocence.
    The stories of many victims can be found at www.silentlambs.org ran by the non-profit organization silentlambs, inc. Founded by one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, William H. Bowen of Calvert City, Kentucky, the organization offers resources, healing and closure to victims of child molestation. Bowen states, “I felt compelled to resign as pastor of my local congregation in protest of internal policies that shield sex offenders and hurt children. When the church promotes child molesters to positions of leadership and requires them to call at the homes of the unknowing public that is bad policy.”
    If you would like to receive more information on this topic, see our website at www.silentlambs.org or contact William H. Bowen at (270) 527-xxxx.

silentlambs, inc, PO Box 311, Calvert City, Kentucky 42029 USA.
    Telephone: 270-527-xxxx Fax: 270-527-xxxx
    For further legal information: Jeff Anderson, 651-227-xxxx
    Hotline for Jehovah’s Witness victims of abuse
    1-877-WTABUSE

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Brilliant! Good to see the cause of righteousness being fought for. A big pity that it's the "enemies" of the WBTS who are doing the fighting for righteousness!

Q: How do you know a Dub loyal to "Jehovah's Organisation" is lying?
    A: Their lips are moving.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Let me see, is that THE Jeff Anderson, with all the notches on his belt?

: This church seems to think they are above the law the rules do not apply to them. This case is simply about making Jehovah’s Witnesses understand they have the same rules as everyone else when it comes to protecting our children.”

What's that scripture about evil doing its business in secret, but when God applies justice it will be done "from the rooftops"?

Maximus

• AlanF
    AlanF

Alright! I hope the victims and their attorney see this through to a full conclusion, and don't accept the usual Watchtower out-of-court settlement along with a gag order. This needs to be publicized!

AlanF

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

... I'm hearing the music of Bach in my head:

"That sheep may safely graze."

Especially the little lambs.

• sf
    sf

"This needs to be publicized!"

When Alan, when? Today, tomorrow, next week, next month? When will ANYTHING be publicized? When?

sKally

• Maximus
    Maximus

I hope all of you will carefully read the dry words in the Writ of Summons and General Allegations and grasp the full meaning of what is going on here. This is really a historic moment that you should savor; you are a part of it.

What you read about is not just another lawsuit. Please note the highly skilled, experienced and very successful attorneys are "filing the first of several lawsuits in behalf of victims who have been injured by the Watchtower's policy of ignoring reported child sexual abuse."

They mean to force the organization to cease its crude and unenlightened policy that has done such harm for so many years. Responsibility for all of this is not just laid upon the local elders who have made "mistakes in procedure," but culpability is correctly shown to lie at the feet of the governing body.

Corporate changes and organization charts that switch or subsume committees will not shield them. Watchtower says it will handle matters and listen to suggestions from within. We know better, don't we? History informs us well.

: the days when child molesters enjoyed a cloak of silence are past, except within the organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses

Do you resonate with that? Don't buy into the notion that every organization protects itself. They do not.

: This church seems to think they are above the law the rules do not apply to them. This case is simply about making Jehovah’s Witnesses understand they have the same rules as everyone else when it comes to protecting our children.

How do you feel about that? Not a very complex argument, is it?

In reviewing old letters to bodies of elders, I am struck with the lack of emphasis on caring for the children. One letter--many will be published later--plainly gives the scriptural basis for reappointing a man as an elder. There is one caveat they note: there may be legal liability later should the person molest somebody, the Society may be open to a lawsuit! No concern expressed at all that he may still not be recovered and could relapse, thus exposing innocent children once more!

The code of silence must go. It will go. The organization will be dragged kicking and screaming into the fifteenth century--sorry, just an attempt to lighten this while making a point.

Many elders I have known for many decades have a very sound moral compass, and they resent organizational attempts to quash their internal moral guidance system. I know many, many cases in which elders quietly picked up a phone and gave authorities information they deserved, without ever telling anyone else, not to punish a perpetrator but to insure the safety of children. Their discouraged ranks are diminishing.

Those of you who are elders will understand what I'm going to comment on next. At KMSchool you have been taught by some instructors that pedophiles can be easily cared for by three questions. Go for the one that is answered by a No, and the problem can be resolved. Meeting attendance is a given.

1) Are you praying regularly?

2) Are you going in field service regularly?

3) Are you doing personal study?

Note that going in field service is considered therapeutic!

This misguided archaic approach to pedophilia as a moral lapse is wrong-headed. The JW judicial process is just not equipped to deal with this complex illness that needs professional attention.

Come to think of it, that is the formula JWs resort to in every life situation that seems difficult. Much more is needed.

Watch for Watchtower to deny/deny/deny. Expect cries of persecution. This is not about First Amendment rights; it's about enlightened protection of children.

A final thought. Many of us know and Watchtower officials have admitted that the term "apostate" was coined strictly to use against Ed Dunlap and Ray Franz. Now that term is lobbed at anyone outside or inside, even after decades of loyal service at Bethel, who has the slightest difference from the governing body's official positions.

We ought not to buy into it, and just stop using their term "apostate" altogether. They do not define us!

Rejoice!

Maximus
    What we do will echo through eternity ...

• zev
    zev

the "gun shot" that was heard around the world....

-Zev, honourary member, The hurling class
    __
    Zev
    The greatest consistancy of the WTBTS is their INconsistancy.

• Kent
    Kent

GREAT!!!!!

I will notify Norwegian press, radio and TV. Let's see what happens! This was great news!

BTW. Maybe some people can see why it was important to keep mouths shut a few days???

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between a fool and the JW legal department is that a fool might be sympathetic ."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• larc
    larc

Maximus,

When I read those three questions the elders are to ask, I involuntarily said out loud, "Oh my God", as in how ignorant. I assume these same three questions would offer the theraputic cure for mental illness. Truely, they are living a hundred years behind the times, if not more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit