you will agree

by carla 10 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

"you will agree that...." Why do jw's start so many sentences that way?! Annoying! Is it in some manual or something? isn't that rather presumptuous of them to think I would agree with anything? Or is it just my jw? I know he finds it difficult not to start a sentence like that. It annoyed me so much I finally asked why he would think I would agree before the words were even out of his mouth. So he does try not to say that. Is this common? thanks, carla

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The You’ll-Agree-With-Me-When-You’re-Older/More Experienced/Male Logical Fallacy

Example Usage

A: P is true because of X, Y, and Z.
    B: Pff. When you’re older, you’ll realize that P is false.

Comments

Being young, I get this one a lot. At some level, it’s an argument to authority: I have X and you don’t, therefore I am correct and you are not.

However, there’s a deeper issue here. One who uses this fallacy is implictly suggesting that the goal of the discussion is to get the parties to agree about what is true, not to actually find what is true. This is a dangerous attitude; would the person assume their beliefs were true if there was no one around to challenge them?

A good way to improve such an argument would be to use it as a form of evidence, not a dismissal of the other party. For example, instead of saying “You’d agree with me if you’d worked in the coal mines for years.” try saying “Well, I’ve worked in the coal mines for years which has let me see firsthand why P is necessary.”

http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/agreeWithMeFallacy

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

you will agree that may people do it, not only JW's.

I hear the line more ffrom managers than from Jw's actually. It indicates mostly a assumtion that you are not willing to discuss, where you are not totally sure about also.

Danny

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    "you will agree that...." Why do jw's start so many sentences that way?!

It's called being tactful. What they really mean is, "any idiot should be able to see this, even a worldly, Satan-controlled degenerate like you."

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

When I was a Witness, I liked to start sentences in that manner, but add a bit of a nazi accent to it, "you vill agree..."

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I used to try to vary things a little, saying you may agree or perhaps you'll agree, but the 'A' word always got in there somewhere. obvoiusly, the wt find it a most agreeable word lol

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Its like asking the leading question in cross examination, Isn't it true blah, blah, blah.

• luna2
    luna2

It's a manipulation tool. I love the Watchtowers full of junk like: "All right-hearted persons will agree..." or "All reasonable people will agree..." So if you don't agree, you seem to be admitting that you aren't reasonable or right-hearted or whatever.

• xjwms
    xjwms

It gets you to side with the person.

• Daunt
    Daunt

I get it constantly. "You will apreciate the meetings when you are older". I hate it. Rather explaining how they are right empirically with facts they use sly insults to try to attack the areas of ignorance you have. If age meant anything in being right then there wouldn't be so many wrong grown ups about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit