Job celebrated Birthdays!!!

by misspeaches 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    Also... if celebrating birthdays is such a terrible sin, why is it not addressed in the Mosaic law?

That is a great point. (But can I have cream in my coffee - no sugar?)

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

LOL, confusedjw... You can have your coffee any way you like.... I drink mine black, no sugar....

Coffee

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Surely you see other matters that WT writers "bend" the facts or omit them?--confusedjw.

I tend to think that the writer was just short-cited, rather than having deliberately "bent" the facts. The fact is, though, that an answer isn't reliable that hasn't taken ALL the evidence into consideration. And it's obvious that the writer didn't take the evidence of Job 3:1-3 into account when attempting to answer the question posed.

Now with regards to the "(607-587)" point that you bring up: Again, really I don't believe that the WTS is deliberately bending or ignoring the facts. I think that World War I taking place when it did, in the year 1914, is soooo convincing to them (that it was the beginning of Jesus' "sign") that they can't imagine themselves being mistaken. So yes, I think it's an honest mistake on the WTS's part.

Of course I don't like mistaken beliefs. There's no value in any sort of error.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

But Schizm, I understand about WWI and 1914, but how about the ignoring the 10's of thousands of tablets that catalog EVERY year of the time period in question and the reigning King?

How about all the false prophesies attributed to being "over anxious" to see Christ coming?

I don't need to bring these up - you know about them all.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

The watchtower only recognizes research that seems to support their teachings. That narrows the scope of their research dramatically. They don't persue any line of reasoning that disagrees with their beliefs. That is called intelectual dishonesty.

Schism...it is not surprising that women's birthdays were not celebrated in ancient Isreal...or other culture for that matter during that era. Women were not valued. They were considered property. So, the fact that women's birthday celebrations were not mentioned in Job doesn't call into question that men's birthdays were.

Coffee

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Well, this thread has certainly adjusted my thinking. From now on, when I have a birthday party, I'm going to offer up a burnt sacrifice, just in case.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Good morning all!

Can someone help me out here. When did this rule of not celebrating birthdays come into being. I understand it was a Rutherford seperatist idea. But, when was it announced / written?

steve

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    From the text that we have at Job it seems inconclusive as to whether they were celebrating their birthdays or not. Narkissos posts in the link I attached gave me quite a bit to think about. I must admit I don't like the stance the dubs take on birthdays but I couldn't comfortably argue the Job line of reasoning as proof that the dubs are wrong. It just doesn't prove it either way.

I must agree with Listener on this. I know the Job account has been promoted as support for birthdays by others over the years but the evidence is inconclusive. I wonder though if it matters, you see it should simply be enough to see that the WTS' teachings on forbidding birthday celebrations are so terribly wrong, being based on conjecture and supposition which is tenuous at best.

So.....Happy Birthday y'all!!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Now with regards to the "(607-587)" point that you bring up: Again, really I don't believe that the WTS is deliberately bending or ignoring the facts. I think that World War I taking place when it did, in the year 1914, is soooo convincing to them (that it was the beginning of Jesus' "sign") that they can't imagine themselves being mistaken. So yes, I think it's an honest mistake on the WTS's part.

Well, maybe so, but they are certainly dishonest about the way they present it. Most JW's today don't even know that the "end of the Gentile Times" was supposed to be the end of the Gentile nations at the battle of Armageddon. The publications today lead one to believe that the Bible Students got their prediction right about 1914, when in fact what happened that year was something completely different from what they had predicted. The actual predictions they had made went 100% unfulfilled, so they changed their understanding to allow that they had been fulfilled "invisibly." Also, they were able to spin the outbreak of WW1 in such a way as to capitalize on the predictions they had made and make it appear that they really knew something in advance. In my opinion, had a major world war (or some equally significant event) not occurred in that year, there would be no JW organization as we know it today; they would be a minor, little known group much like the current generation of Bible Students.

• z
    z
    Schizm ..one will see that "birthday" is a compound of the two Hebrew words yowm (meaning, a day [as the warm hours], whether literally or figuratively) and hullédeth from yalad (meaning, to bear young). However, in the Hebrew Scriptures the word "day" (yowm) is often used alone, referring simply to some day. This distinction between "day" and "birthday" may be noted in Genesis 40:20, where both expressions appear: "Now on the third day [yowm] it turned out to be Pharaoh?s birthday [literally, ?the day (yowm) of the birth (hullédeth) of Pharaoh?]."

Pls this is big time B.S I spike Hebrew, and this is my first languish,” His day” today and in biblical time is his BRDTHDAY on this note why the Jews celebrate the 13 B day as BAR MITSVA ?????? If the did not celebrate B.D??? Why B.D is so significant in Judaism? In Judaism trough out history counting days years and so on had a lot of mining 7days world creation 8days Birth (circumcising) and so on.
    ( One of the must important day in Jewish history is the distraction of the temple this day is mark as day of mourning on the anniversary 9Ahve the Jew will have no celebration and will not eat )

In biblical time and today (observant Jews) calibrate B.D, wedding, or any other celebration man will calibrate as one group not together with the women’s and same women’s will celebrate not with the man’s at one point (in wedding) the bride will enter the celebration with all the women’s (the will sing and dance around the bride) and the ceremony will start (the Chuppah (marriage ceremony)) after the ceremony the mane’s will grab the groom and the women’s will do the same with the bride and dance as two separate gropes not together. So Job sons had BD and the invite the women’s at one point to join in. same as today first the man’s and the women’s have to be invited
    Sry for spelling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit