Jehovah's Witnesses: How Their Subculture is Fading Away.

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I am old enough to remember the days when Conventions lasted many long days and large

numbers of brothers were employed in preparing hot meals served on trays, army-style. I can

also recall how good these steam cooked meals tasted - and how policemen, assigned to

patrol the convention grounds eagerly stood in line for their free dinners. This got replaced

with cold sandwiches and off brand sodas often handed out by young brothers and sisters

who volunteered - partly as a way to meet each other!

and all that's gone now

I can recall working in the bindery and pressroom at Bethel in Brooklyn. We would

sometimes slog along thru the snow on our way to the factory, pretending we were

German soldiers sentenced to fight on "the Russian front". After a grueling four years

fending off nervous breakdowns, lack of sleep, occasional alcoholism and enforced poverty

( $14 a month!!!!!) we'd leave and get married.

and that's gone too. I noted that the Society's new tract for young people, "Youths -

What Will You Do With Your Life?" extolled Bethel service at the very time the Society

was actively downsizing Bethel!

Remember how bold and radical the magazines were? Now, they must fear everything

they say or print in the computer age - because anyone can download and print any

embarrassing remark and hand a copy to a government official!

Remember "new truths"? However oxymoronic ( emphasis on the moronic) that may

sound, new "understandings" were eagerly awaited.

and that's all gone too - because after the death of Frederick Franz, no one in the

corporate /committee structure of the Watchtower Society carries his authority

or gravitas. Changes suddenly demanded by the Society's lawyers don't count.

Remember the huge placements of gaudily colored books? Remember the millions

of "Truth" books that got placed?

Gone, gone, gone. With dwindling contributions, they can't afford literature

like this anymore. Even the 'Awake' is being reduced.

Somewhere in this process, wiser men would have reasoned that 'we can't

expect people to be 'separate from the world' without building an infrastructure

to support that separateness - but then again, wiser men wouldn't continue to

engage in "Armageddon-is-Tomorrow - so-why-plan-for-the-future-anyway" thinking,

especially after a hundred and twenty years of failure.

They could have built their own college. They could have built their own pension

or insurance structures or business networks. Instead, what little infrastructure they

have, they are tearing down.

In the end, they will leave nothing of lasting value behind. The Muslims

built beautiful architecture, the Shakers left us furniture, the Greeks left us

philosophy, the Catholics left us cathedrals ... but the Watchtower....

will leave nothing behind except the collective cellulose pulp their forgettable literature

was made of

and time will quickly turn that into compost and dust.

metatron

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Thanks met, my collection is getting somewhat bulky.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

nice write up metatron! i enjoy the way you write.

it seems to me anyway, that even the rank and file JWs are slightly more "worldly" in the way they act and dress and even sometimes think lately. perhaps my experience in this regard is limited, but some halls i have visited in the last year seemed to be changing very slightly. as though an undercurrent of world thinking was influencing people in the congregation. it wasn't very overt. but i feel like i see fewer and fewer "deep study" types, or old fire and brimstone stalwarts from my childhood.

a lot of elders wear this sort of very cautious and tired expression on their faces.

TS

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Very insightful, as always, met.

• JH
    JH

A spiritual collapse in the making

• willyloman
    willyloman

That's the way it looks to me, too. But I don't recommend waiting around until they morph into something more mainstream. Get out while you can, people!

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

Thank you metatron----------The rank and file must see the huge losses this cult is taking.But they have a scripture that will answer this problrem.Smart people will leave,stupid die hard dreamers will stay,although that may be a small number.

• BeautifulStrange
    BeautifulStrange

ok there's one thing i don't get here

once you have left the religion why would you bother to keep track of what they do or don't do or go to any of their meetings to observe anything?

i really don't get it - i never go at all and all my fam are still in the truth but it has nothing to do with me - i have absolutely no interest in any of it - i don't care if they wanna talk to me about it although they're pretty respectful - it doesn't bother me what they do - i'd never waste my time on any of their beliefs or anything

why on earth would you?

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Great write-up Met!

I always enjoy reading your material.I'm anxious to see the downfall of the WTS.

btw,I noticed you didn't predict a date for the end of the WTS.-LOL

Goldminer

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Met, awesome post, you really nailed it and now I understand the look that my family wears around these days much better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit