What kind of prophets are JWs?

by jaffacake 17 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

AWAKE 1986 JUNE/8 p. 9 “Would That All Were Prophets!”

You will be interested to learn that God has on earth a people, all of whom are prophets, or witnesses for God. In fact, they are known throughout the world as Jehovah’s Witnesses. ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But be careful, in the Bible has any True Prophet ever made a mistake, or have any of their prophecies failed, or any predictions not come true? Just ONE failed prediction would prove a prophet false. There are only two kinds of prophet in the Bible, True or False. And how to tell the difference?

(Deuteronomy 18:20-22) 20 "‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: "How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?" 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. . .

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

OBEY! erm ... amen.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

jaffacake---I just wrote this down in a notebook I'm staring.Kind of like a reasoning book for apostates.

That scripure should be brought out to these people.Simple proof that they are liars and false prophecy in gods name.

Did you reference these scrips and text yourself?I don't have the resources to do so here.no bible no crap,eerrr literature.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Seeing as it's on my mind, I can't resist posting this link:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/63136/1.ashx

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

stopthe pain,

I'm working on my JW friend through a third party: I put these texts together from their CD I have (refernces from Captives of a Concept) I got more if you want them.

Watchtower Book – The Holy Spirit

chap. 8 pp. 148-162 “Spirit of Life from God Entered into Them”

22 …. The announced purpose behind God’s pouring out of his spirit upon all sorts of flesh was that the recipients thereof might prophesy. The facts substantiate that the remnant of Christ’s anointed disciples have been doing that prophesying to all the nations……… Why argue about it?

23 After twelve years of such prophesying about God’s kingdom…...

25 Incontrovertibly, the “spirit of life from God” had entered into the anointed remnant and he had called them to an outstanding position before all their enemies. ….. Their preaching and prophesying from house to house and from city to city on the basis of that name has resulted in ……….

……………Jehovah’s Christian witnesses, do not take the credit to themselves for this magnificent accomplishment. They confess that they are merely instruments in God’s hands. The courage and strength to do this foreordained work they ascribe to God’s spirit. They discern that they have also had angelic backing and guidance while doing God’s approved work.

WATCHTOWER 1959 JAN/15 pp. 40-44 Down with the Old—Up with the New!

10………Who will be Jehovah’s prophet to the nations, to speak to them everything that He should command? Who will be the modern Jeremiah?

11 Jeremiah prophesied forty years in the time of the end of the

……….12 ……... Today we may ask, How was the question answered? There are facts to show. We should not appeal to religious pride or boasting or self-made claims. We should appeal to the facts. Let facts speak for themselves. Consult the factual record of Christendom’s religious systems….. More than that, examine also what those religious systems are doing today. Then consult the record of the one religious organization…

13 ……….The fact that decides the answer to the question is, not, Do all the clergy of Roman Catholicism and of Protestantism agree that Jehovah’s witnesses have been and are God’s prophet to the nations? ………………………………….Whom has God actually used as his prophet?

14 By the historical facts of the case Christendom is beaten back in defeat. Jehovah’s witnesses are deeply grateful today that the plain facts show that God has been pleased to use them.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Stopthe pain, hope these help.

WATCHTOWER 1964 JUN/15 p. 365 Jehovah, the God of Progressive Revelation ***

22 As Jehovah revealed his truths by means of the first-century Christian congregation so he does today by means of the present-day Christian congregation. Through this agency he is having carried out prophesying on an intensified and unparalleled scale. All this activity is not an accident. Jehovah is the one behind all of it. The abundance of spiritual food ….

WATCHTOWER 1982 OCT1 p. 27 Be as Men Who Are Facing Har–Magedon Unafraid

8 In behalf of such individuals who at heart seek God’s rule instead of man’s rule, the “prophet” whom Jehovah has raised up has been, not an individual man as in the case of Jeremiah, but a class. The members of this class are, like the prophet-priest Jeremiah, wholly dedicated to Jehovah God through Christ and, by the begettal of Jehovah’s holy spirit, they have been made part of “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession.” (1 Peter 2:9) At this late date there is a mere remnant of this “prophet” class yet on earth. The “war of the great day of God the Almighty” at Har–Magedon could not start before this composite “prophet” ends his work.

AWAKE 1986 JUNE/8 p. 9 “Would That All Were Prophets!” ***

You will be interested to learn that God has on earth a people, all of whom are prophets, or witnesses for God. In fact, they are known throughout the world as Jehovah’s Witnesses. Out of love for God and his Word, they are ……

Insight Volume 2 pp.696-7 Prophet

Distinguishing the True From the False. In some cases, such as that of Moses, Elijah, Elisha, and Jesus, God's prophets performed miraculous works that attested to the genuineness of their message and office. Not all, however, are recorded as performing such powerful works. The three essentials for establishing the credentials of a true prophet, as given through Moses, were: The true prophet would speak in Jehovah's name ; the things foretold would come to pass (De 18:20-22); and his prophesying must promote true worship, being in harmony with God's revealed word and commandments (De 13:1-4) . ..

The true prophet never foretold simply to satisfy human curiosity. Every prediction related to God's will, purpose, standards, or judgment. (1Ki 11:29-39; Isa 7:3-9)

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

(Matthew 7:15-20) 15 “Be on the watch for the false prophets that come to YOU in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. 16 By their fruits YOU will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? 17 Likewise every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit; 18 a good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, neither can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. 19 Every tree not producing fine fruit gets cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Really, then, by their fruits YOU will recognize those [men].

(Matthew 12:33) 33 “Either YOU people make the tree fine and its fruit fine or make the tree rotten and its fruit rotten; for by its fruit the tree is known.. . . ……. 37 for by your words you will be declared righteous, and by your words you will be condemned.”

TRUE PROPHET Inspired by God

FALSE PROPHET Not Inspired by God (sincere but mistaken and presumptuous)

(Jeremiah 23:21) 21 “I did not send the prophets, yet they themselves ran. I did not speak to them, yet they themselves prophesied.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

STOP THE PAIN

Slight change of topic, but these might help your collection:

The Appointment in 1919

WT 1990 3/15 p. 14 ‘The Faithful Slave’ and Its Governing Body

21 In 1918, when Jesus Christ inspected those claiming to be his slaves, he found an international group of Christians publishing Bible truths for use both inside the congregation and outside in the preaching work. In 1919 it truly turned out to be as Christ had foretold: “Happy is that slave if his master on arriving finds him doing so. Truly I say to you, He will appoint him over all his belongings.” (Matthew 24:46, 47) These true Christians entered into the joy of their Master. Having shown themselves “faithful over a few things,” they were appointed by the Master to be “over many things.” (Matthew 25:21) The faithful slave and its Governing Body were in place, ready for a widened assignment.

WT 1994 1/15 pp. 16-17 Shepherds and Sheep in a Theocracy

Jesus said that during his royal presence, he would identify a faithful body of followers, a “faithful and discreet slave,” and would appoint it over all his belongings. (Matthew 24:45-47; Isaiah 43:10) In 1919 that slave was identified as the remnant of anointed Christians. Since then, as represented by the Governing Body

Book - Knowledge that leads to everlasting life chap. 17 p. 161 Find Security Among God’s People ***

4 Jesus said that at the time of his presence in Kingdom power, “the faithful and discreet slave” would be found providing “food at the proper time” for His followers. (Matthew 24:45-47) When Jesus was installed as heavenly King in 1914, who did this “slave” prove to be? …. But proper and timely spiritual food was being dispensed by the group of true Christians who were anointed by God’s holy spirit …

THE INSPECTION BY CHRIST IN 1919

WT 2001 6/1 pp. 13-14 “If God Is for Us, Who Will Be Against Us?”

Identifying Marks of Those Having God’s Backing

7 They base their teachings on the Bible. Jesus said: “What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me. If anyone desires to do His will, he will know concerning the teaching whether it is from God or I speak of my own originality.” And also: “He that is from God listens to the sayings of God.” (John 7:16, 17; 8:47) Logically, to enjoy God’s backing, one must teach only what God reveals in his Word and reject teachings based on human wisdom or tradition.—Isaiah 29:13; Matthew 15:3-9; Colossians 2:8.

Book – God’s Kingdom Has Approached (F Franz) chap. 17 pp. 349-357 The “Slave” Who Lived to See the “Sign” ***

TIME OF INSPECTION BY THE SLAVE’S MASTER

38 Without a question of doubt, it was a real time for inspection of the Master’s “slave” class. All the facts of the case argue that the Master came for the work of inspection at the time. …Had his appointed slave done as he was assigned to do, namely, give to the “domestics” their “food at the proper time”? The master needed to make an inspection.

40 The serving of food, the right sort of food, at the proper time was the issue. It had to be according to this that a decision must be rendered by the returned master….Down to 1919 C.E. they had endeavored to give “food at the proper time”…. Not only was the regularity in serving the spiritual food a problem, but the quality of the food itself was to be considered….

….three and a half years after the close of the Gentile Times and Christ’s enthronement in the heavens in 1914 C.E., there came the annual celebration of the Lord’s Supper on Tuesday, March 26, 1918…

....And Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: ‘All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.’”—Matthew 28:16-20.

46 The Lord Jesus explained why the state of the “faithful and discreet slave” was a happy one, for Jesus said: “Happy is that slave if his master on arriving [Greek: elthòn] finds him doing so. Truly I say to you, He will appoint him over all his belongings.”—Matthew 24:46, 47; Luke 12:42-44.

APPOINTED OVER ALL THE MASTER’S BELONGINGS

….. When he returned to his “household staff” in 1919 to make an inspection of all his “domestics,” he did so in a royal capacity ….

51 On inspecting the remnant of his anointed disciples in the year 1919 C.E., the reigning King Jesus Christ did find the appointed “slave” faithful and discreet in the feeding of his “domestics.” Accordingly, he appointed this “slave” class over all his belongings. Their enlarged responsible position now was that of serving in fulfillment of the now due Kingdom prophecies. All through the centuries the “faithful and discreet slave” class has been made up of those who are “ambassadors substituting for Christ,

And with what a spiritual table of Scriptural food they have been fed! The disposing of any remaining stocks of the Studies in the Scriptures by C. T. Russell and of The Finished Mystery in the year 1927 produced no shortage of spiritual food for these “domestics.” New and up-to-date bound books and booklets and tracts have continued to be published since the book The Harp of God in 1921. Yes, in October of 1919 a companion to The Watch Tower was published in the form of the magazine The Golden Age (now entitled “Awake!”).

ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE AND WATCHTOWER JESUS WOULD HAVE APPLIED 4 TESTS AT HIS INSPECTION IN SPRING OF 1919.

BASED ON WHAT THE WATCHTOWER HAD BEEN TEACHING Its Spiritual Food or its Fruit ( Matthew 7:15 and 12:33 & 37) DOWN TO 1919 (1876-1919)

4 TESTS MUST BE APPLIED TO ALL THE TEACHINGS OF THAT PERIOD:

RIGHT QUALITY SPIRITUAL FOOD?

PROPER TIME TO BE TEACHING IT?

ONLY WHAT GOD REVEALED IN HIS WORD?

REJECTED ANYTHING BASED ON HUMAN WISDOM?

Apply the 4 Biblical & Watchtower Tests to the following in 1919:

• Teaching about the Second Coming (or presence) of Christ
    • Who was the faithful & discreet slave?
    • The invention of the sewing machine was the first sign of Christ’s invisible reign in 1873
    • Millions Now Living Will Never Die campaign – accuracy
    • Return of Abraham Isaac & Jacob in 1925
    • 1799 start of last days (time of the end)
    • 37 other dates of events that did not happen
    • Celebrating Christmas
    • Celebrating birthdays
    • Worshiping Jesus
    • Use of the Cross
    • Great Pyramid of Gizeh God’s stone witness
    • Use of occultism and Masonic symbolism
    • End of all governments & kingdoms by 1914
    • The 1200 furlongs of Revelation 14:20
    • Romans 13:1
    • Six Volumes of Studies in the Scriptures
    • The Finished Mystery (seventh volume)
    • The Harp of God book
  • Berean
    Berean

The entire quote was as follows:
    AWAKE 1986 JUNE/8 p. 9 “Would That All Were Prophets!”

The New American Bible correctly states: “Prophet means ‘one who speaks for another,’ especially for God. It does not necessarily mean that he predicts the future!” Pope John Paul II said: “The ‘prophetic office’ of the People of God must be consciously exercised as a true service of the Word.” But as we have seen, it is impossible for a Catholic to be a true prophet, or witness, for God’s Word, the Bible, without betraying the doctrine of the Catholic Church, based mainly on tradition.
    In its final declaration, the World Catholic Federation for the Biblical Apostolate expressed the need for Bible education, particularly among the young and the poor, for inexpensive Bibles and Bible education literature, for Bible translations and Bible translators, and for full-time workers. It further stated that all Christians should preach and teach, live by the Bible, and “discern the signs of the times.”
    You will be interested to learn that God has on earth a people, all of whom are prophets, or witnesses for God. In fact, they are known throughout the world as Jehovah’s Witnesses. Out of love for God and his Word, they are carrying on a universal Bible educational work among old and young, rich and poor. They have hundreds of thousands of full-time voluntary workers, some of whom translate and print Bibles and Bible educational literature that is distributed inexpensively, or even free of charge. They are assisted by millions of part-time workers. Any of these will be happy to help you “discern the signs of the times” and embrace the wonderful hope contained in God’s Word, the Bible.

jaffacake stated:
    But be careful, in the Bible has any True Prophet ever made a mistake, or have any of their prophecies failed, or any predictions not come true? Just ONE failed prediction would prove a prophet false. There are only two kinds of prophet in the Bible, True or False. And how to tell the difference?
    (Deuteronomy 18:20-22) 20 "‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: "How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?" 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. . .

What jaffacake said is very true, however, JW‘s will point to the part of the article that says “The New American Bible correctly states: “Prophet means ‘one who speaks for another,’ especially for God. It does not necessarily mean that he predicts the future!”” and JW’s will use this as the escape to claim they are not false prophets.

The Society is getting very good at having an escape route in their recent writings. I find this explanation for failed Society prophecies ridiculous; however, a good JW will find this to be a reasonable excuse for past “failed expectations”.

By the way. It’s funny how the Society will point to one part of something, like the quote of Pope John Paul II above, as an authority to support one point and then in the same paragraph state that the same authority is false and knows nothing about Gods word.

Berean

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Berean,

Thanks for the clarification.

Prophet means ‘one who speaks for another,’ especially for God. It does not necessarily mean that he predicts the future!”” and JW’s will use this as the escape to claim they are not false prophets.

However, my quotations left out the examples of when the Watchtower DID predict the future. They predicted the future, many times, in the name of Jehovah. And what they predicted did not come to pass. They called themselves modern day Jeremiah and other prophets of the Bible. There can be no doubt about in what sense they used the term prophet in earlier predictions claims.

Thanks again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit