Birthdays?? Good explaination...please??

by inarock&ahardplace 26 Replies latest jw friends

• inarock&ahardplace
    inarock&ahardplace

I would love it if someone out there could clarify for my stubborn brain just why birthdays are forbidden?? For the life of me, and I was a witness for over 30 years, I still can't wrap my brain around that issue. I need something more than the two accounts 'gone wrong' and pagen, in the bible. Please either explain it to where I can see the point or let me know that all my years of (in the back of my mind) thinking were right!!

Thanks ever so....

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm about to get pagan myself.

<----------

Here it is in their own words:

Birthdays: The only two birthday celebrations spoken of in the Bible were held by persons who did not worship Jehovah. ( Genesis 40:20-22 ; Mark 6:21, 22 , 24-27 ) The early Christians did not celebrate birthdays. The custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions. True Christians give gifts and have good times together at other times during the year. http://www.watchtower.org/library/rq/article_11.htm
  • MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

No idea - I always thought this to be lame. Personally, I was told that as Jesus's birth date is not recorded then birth dates are unimportant. After all - we do try to imitate Jesus

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Oh, and someone else will probably mention the customary beheadings that no birthday is complete without.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I've ordered up a nice beheading for my birthday, to go along with the naked ritual satanic dancing and child sacrifice. Yep, birthdays are eeeeviiill.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Probably because the elders know I'm gonna get completely drunk. Nothing like free birthday shots.

• daystar
    daystar

Those are the core reasons I was ever given. The hypocrisy comes to play when they will allow some things with pagan origins or influence and not others.

For example, did you know that a standard deck of playing can may be used in divination? In fact there is some evidence that the tarot deck and standard playing cards have a lot in common, perhaps a common origin(??). Four suits, ten cards in each suit, four face cards for each suit. The only main difference is in the tarot's Major Arcana. Based upon how little evidence the WTS needs for pagan influence in order to forbid other things, one would think they would consider banning playing any form of card games that use the standard deck.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

It's all about control. Isolate and alienate kids from society, and when they grow up, they will have no place to go.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Here's my gift for JW's and exJW's alike. Beheaded Barbie!

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

It was essential during Rutherford's era to come up with teachings, biblical or otherwise, to put a gulf between JWs and all other Christians. It was essential that they create as stark a THEM & US illusion as possible.

You didn't expect a Biblical answer did you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit