One of my employees has cancer...from smoking

by wanderlustguy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

The thing is you never think it will happen to you.

I stopped smoking after 13 years at the age of 25, to become a JW the only good thing I did.

I really hate smoking!

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

WLG Thats awful news, cancer is a bully! It has many victims, and it is not always self inflicted.

My sis in law (35) is terminally ill with cancer after a 7 year battle, yet could not give up smoking for even a day, through much surgery, three courses of chemo, and even the birth of a third child (now 3 yrs old).

Then my wife who has never smoked or drank, eats properly and exercises, ends up with the same disease.

When I was studying with a JW elder this summer he asked why I did not smoke, I replied for health & hygiene reasons. He said 'no its not, its because its against God's will' I said no its because its unhealthy and dangerous. Again he said no, thats not why you don't smoke. Is he some kind of retard?

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Keesh

I don't mean to cry on anyone's shoulders right now but...

You can cry on mine and I'll cry on yours. My wife went back to work last week after more than a year off, but today she had to go for a bone scan following new symptoms, we're scared to get the results.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I used to smoke too but haven't smoked for a couple of years now. That's horrible about your employee, that does seem crazy young to be dealing with something like that.

• Carol
    Carol

I'm sorry to hear about your employee, his type of cancer is really a rough one to treat. I lost my dad in June of 2001 to lung cancer and emphysema. He'd and emphysema for a number of years, fortunately the lung cancer took him in 17 months, the last 2 months were pure hell. He's been smoking since he was 12 and died at 74 (he'd quit once or twice for up to a year, but he'd gain weight and start smoking to keep his boyish figure! He weighed 100 lbs. when he died). Mom quit smoking December 1959, cold turkey, so she could be baptised in January 1960..she never picked up a cigarette again. It's a nasty addiction That not only kills the addict but those around him/her.

• Es
    Es

Thats not good, I have had three family members die from smoking and yet at times it doesnt stop me from doing it sigh, its a really hard habbit to kick but i certainly understand and appreciate where you are coming from. es

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I quit!

I am glad I did!

Almost 3 weeks and no more for me nor wanting too!

Brookie

• keeshah
    keeshah
    but today she had to go for a bone scan following new symptoms, we're scared to get the results.

Jaffacake... you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything goes okay. Your wife sounds WAY too young to be going thru this.

• horrible life
    horrible life

In my area, it is smoking and DIPPING. Cancer of the mouth is growing. I know of 3 deaths in the past year from mouth and throat cancer. I go to 3rd grade classes and preach against dipping, for the past 3 years. With the invitation of the teachers. Got to get them young. I give them graphic pictures to look at and take home. I also tell them to give the brochure to anybody they know who dips or smokes.

Nothing bugs a dipper or smoker more than a KID. I quit because of one. My daughter wouldn't shut up about it. Thank goodness HL

• horrible life
    horrible life

In my area, it is smoking and DIPPING. Cancer of the mouth is growing. I know of 3 deaths in the past year from mouth and throat cancer. I go to 3rd grade classes and preach against dipping, for the past 3 years. With the invitation of the teachers. Got to get them young. I give them graphic pictures to look at and take home. I also tell them to give the brochure to anybody they know who dips or smokes.

Nothing bugs a dipper or smoker more than a KID. I quit because of one. My daughter wouldn't shut up about it. Thank goodness HL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit