Franz 3rd best hebrew scholar in world?

by sleepy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Recently at my local district convention it was stated by a speaker that he had met someone on the the ministry who had told him that fred ranz was one of the three best Hebrew scholars in the world.
    This didn't sound true to me for several reasons, but could anyone with knowledge of this suject shed some light on the matter?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Sleepy:

It's difficult to argue with something so enormously referenced by verifiable facts and authorities as this statement by the DC speaker. Obviously, we must just accept the inevitability of it's complete correctness.

Expatbrit

• Tina
    Tina

hmm there's probably many hebrew scholars in universities and in Israel that would make light of that statement...Tina

• bboyneko
    bboyneko
    It's difficult to argue with something so enormously referenced by verifiable facts and authorities as this statement by the DC speaker. Obviously, we must just accept the inevitability of it's complete correctness.

That's the way i feel about anything that comes out of my mouth. Here, I'm about to do it again:

'The reason many people eat cereal for breakfast in the morning is because of the allignment of the pyramids in egypt in relation with my cat's tail.'

There is no denying it so dont even try.

-Dan

• Seeker
    Seeker

Favorite tactic of the WTS nowadays -- don't actually say something controversial, quote someone approvingly making the statement.

"A person in Ohio writes that 'the Watchower magazine is the most valuable journal in the world.'"

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Well, if it came from the convention, it must be the TRUTH. I am sure everyone in attendence believe Fred Franz is the third best hebrew scholar of all time.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    "A person in Ohio writes that 'the Watchower magazine is the most valuable journal in the world.'"

Must be a relative of the person in Nebraska who confirms that Freddie Franz was indeed a Rhodes Scholar.

Expatbrit

p.s. who are the first and second best Hebrew scholars?

• Seeker
    Seeker
    p.s. who are the first and second best Hebrew scholars?

Indeed, the very concept displays shallow thinking. This isn't sports where the best runners in the world are timed under the same circumstances. These are scholars. Who is "best" is subjective.

Quick, who is the #1 biologist on earth? How about the very best economist?

The very idea is silly. The fact that they quoted the householder, taking that absurd statement at face value, is both self-serving and wrong.

• voltaire
    voltaire

This always seemed far-fetched to me. How would a lay-person even know? How likely is it that Franz had a better grasp of Hebrew than the dozens (hundreds or thousands?) of scholars in Israel itself? This sort of thing also depends on one's doctrinal position. The best scholar in the world is probably whichever one that produces work that most closely supports my preconceived conclusion.

• ros
    ros

Whoever said it will never convince the Jewish professors and translators at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, or their students.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit