Beware of false stories....DC Talk.

by integ 17 Replies latest jw friends

• integ
    integ

Hello friends,

Did anybody attend the DC and hear the talk about being beware of "false stories"? Could you enlighten us about the talk and what warnings we are to heed?

Thanks,

Integ.

• CaptK
    CaptK

Yes I was there

There was one sister who was experiencing problems in her new marrage and co-workers was advising her to get a seperation or a divorce. That was the false story. Then she listen to an advice from a faithful sister to apply Bible principles and stick with your partner. I think another was a person considering a job that would miss meetings for extra material comforts. Etc..etc

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

What a laugh! You mean: "Beware of Artfully Contrived False Stories"

The WTS examples of this at the DC I attended were:

• A woman decides to limit her work hours to part time. Other workmates question why and envy her free time, but are unwilling to reduce their incomes. An artfully contrived false story!
    • A young man is offered a top university scholarship, but decides to go to trade school against the advice of his school counselor. An artfully contrived false story!
    • A girl in high school decides to remain a virgin, although most of her classmates see nothing wrong with pre-marital sex. An artfully contrived false story!

Only a brief mention of apostacy and internet dating. All the examples above came from first-person interviews. I could not recognize the corelation between any of the experiences and "false stories".

• Room 215
    Room 215

I attended and heard the talk, and the application seemed to be mainly about reports in the media.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

They will never get into the meat and potatoes of what their critics are saying about them. This is a very telling position, IMO. They are not about to engage in any kind of debate, and couldn't hold their own in a real debate if they tried. They don't want to make it easy for people to see that, so they vaguely warn of the "dangerous" internet.

Too bad most people eagerly swallow everything they are told at these conventions, without questioning a thing. I used to do that, but I can't understand why I would ever have done that looking back now. I think their days are numbered for having a completely gullible following. They shouldn't take the R&F so much for granted. I say, these people want their end date back. If they don't get it back, they will lose their hold over people. That's why they joined up in the first place!

• Room 215
    Room 215

Itasallgoodnow.. bingo! I think you hit the nail on the head.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I say, these people want their end date back. If they don't get it back, they will lose their hold over people. That's why they joined up in the first place!

allgoodnow: you pretty well summed it up with this insighful comment.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I see they're still pushing the same stupid examples that they did when I was a kid - forgoing a career and an education and instead making choices more in line with what they want jws to do. I wonder how many jw parents from my generation will be dumb enough to fall for this crap yet again and push it on their kids. Of course, many aren't falling for it a second time around, hence the stepped-up efforts of the WTS to sell this stuff yet again. It's all about control.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Hey Integ,

It sounds like they're doing "damage control!" Agree? Thank God for the Internet, the media that exposes the JW-abuse, and of course, we need to be greatful each day for this board! "Where else can we go?" -- hehe!

Cyber!

• TheListener
    TheListener

So what I'm hearing is that the main thrust of this talk isn't apostasy, but generic worldly advice? What a waste of time. You'd think they would at least update and rehash the BEWARE OF STRANGERS outline.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit